» GC Stats
Members: 326,140
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK

Old 03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

how do local sororities work?

-

Last edited by ruaprincs2; 11-23-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the key characteristics of being in a local sorority is that each is controlled almost exclusively by active members, so long as they are in compliance with campus rules that apply to all greek orgs. So... the answer to your question would only be accurately answered by a person at your new school, most likely a current member of those local sororities. The chances of finding someone that specific on GC are slim, but you can try. Another thing to consider and ask your regional tri-delt leadership about: will joining a local sorority affect your chance to become a tri-delt alum? If so, then you should consider the valuable alum experience you're potentially giving up that is a privilege of being affiliated with a national sorority.

My advice would be just to educate yourself on Tri-delts alum policies and wait until after you transfer to ask members of the local sororities in person about their policies.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Instead of living without sorority, why not call your local Delta Delta Delta Alumnae Chapter? They probably won't be as active as your collegiate chapter, but they are still your sisters.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruaprincs2 View Post
Hello, I am currently a member of Delta Delta Delta--Omega Delta chapter.

HOWEVER, next semester I am transferring to Carthage in Wisconsin which does not have a TriDelt chapter. They have 2 National sororities and several local sororities..

I was initiated and I can't join another national.. however, how does that work for locals?

I really can't see myself joining another sorority--but at the same time I can't imagine not being in a sorority!

So just wondering--?

I may be alone in this, but I think it would be rude of you to remain a Tri-Delta alum and join another sorority regardless if it is not affiliated with the NPC.

I also think it is not wise of you to call yourself out in your Tri-Delta roll call that announced your chapter as well you being Treasurer. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who you might be and some of your sisters might even be lurking on this board. I know if I saw one of my chapter sisters inquiring about joining locals on a new campus just because she "couldn't imagine not being in a sorority!" I would be hurt and upset.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I may be alone in this, but I think it would be rude of you to remain a Tri-Delta alum and join another sorority regardless if it is not affiliated with the NPC.

I also think it is not wise of you to call yourself out in your Tri-Delta roll call that announced your chapter as well you being Treasurer. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who you might be and some of your sisters might even be lurking on this board. I know if I saw one of my chapter sisters inquiring about joining locals on a new campus just because she "couldn't imagine not being in a sorority!" I would be hurt and upset.
If there aren't rules against it, why not?

How many collegiate alums actually do anything for/with their sorority? She's got the rest of her life to be a TriDelt alum, what difference does it make if she joins a local sorority for the rest of her schooltime...especially if that local KNOWS she's a TriDelt and bids her anyway.

I don't know all of the individual NPCs rules, but I've never heard of any of them having a bylaw against joining a local. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

There are undoubtly many different clubs and organizations at your new campus which will give you an opportunity to be active and involved. You made a pledge to Tri-Delta, the details of which I do not know, but I imagine that they included one to make Tri-Delta a life-long part of your life. Don't turn your back on that pledge, or on your sisters. You may well be able to be a part of an alumnae group, or you might have to go a year or two without being active in Tri-Delta, but once you graduate you will find a world full of Tri-Delta sisters. By all means make yourself an active part of your new campus, but it would not be fair to Tri-Delta OR the local sorority to join another sorority, imho.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
If there aren't rules against it, why not?

How many collegiate alums actually do anything for/with their sorority? She's got the rest of her life to be a TriDelt alum, what difference does it make if she joins a local sorority for the rest of her schooltime...especially if that local KNOWS she's a TriDelt and bids her anyway.

I don't know all of the individual NPCs rules, but I've never heard of any of them having a bylaw against joining a local. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Actually, I think there are some NPC groups that have rules against joining locals. But other than that, I agree with this post.

If one of my sisters had transferred to, say, Grove City (an all locals school) and joined a local, I wouldn't be upset...I would be upset if she completely cut us out of her life for her new sisters, but other than that? No. If the schools are close together, who knows? Maybe it can even forge a bond between the chapters.

The only thing I can see problematic about this situation is if rush includes the NPC and local groups together - I think under no circumstances should you go to any kind of event for an NPC group.

Depending on the rules the locals have, they might be able to take you on as a "social member" meaning you would attend mixers and such but not be initiated or see ritual.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I know if I saw one of my chapter sisters inquiring about joining locals on a new campus just because she "couldn't imagine not being in a sorority!" I would be hurt and upset.
Hm... I don't understand this mindset. I currently rely on my sorority so heavily for companionship and having fun with day-to-day activities that I would definitely consider joining a local if I had to transfer and there was no other option. Similarly, I would be completely okay with any of my sisters doing the same... I'd want them to be happy, not lonely and bored in an unfamiliar place.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Texas*Princess, AlphaFrog and 33Girl, sent you a pm

NP
Old 04-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruaprincs2 View Post
thank you to everyone who helped me! I greatly appreciate your thoughts

to those that i seemed to "offend" sorry. However, I am a freshman initiaite and close with my sisters, they know i may be transferring next semester.

and for the person who brought up my status as a treasurer. Treasurer in my house is a secretarial role and I do secretarial jobs for the Vice President of Finance. And like I said, I am close to my sisters--I had no intentions of "hiding" my identity. they know about my decision to transfer, etc.

this is not about me being disloyal to TriDelta. I actually called EO and talked to the about colonizing at my new school. When i contacted my new school, I then learned it is not open for charter/colonizing. ----This is what brought me to consider joining a local (because when they are looking to bring a new chapter here, turning one of the locals into a national is always an idea)

I most likely will NOT join a local I suppose.. I am still not 100% sure. My new school is a LOT smaller than my current school, so I will see what other activities I can get involved in too.

But i wanted to thank everyone who helped me! As of now, I plan on becoming either an unaffiliated collegiate member, or requesting alumna status and joining an alumnae chapter.
Good luck to you at your new school
Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Stay strong, focused and positive. You will know the direction to take.

I wish you all the best!