Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,579
1 members and 1,578 guests
KEGirl01

Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
For it is what ever the laws, rules, the policies of the National GLO, the campus, and locality and state of every chapter say it is. Or try to say what it is or is not.

As well as when and how they are enforced.
I'm really not sure what the above, or most of what followed, means. Reminds me of someone else's posts.

I think what you're trying to say is look to the laws of the state where you are, your GLO's policies and your sheltering institution's policies (as well as whatever it was you seemed to be quoting from), and it should be rather clear what constitutes hazing. I think that often that it is the case (although the "if you have to ask if it's hazing, it probably is" test is a really bad test to apply to criminal law). I know my fraternity's hazing policies shouldn't leave much doubt in anyone's mind as to what would and wouldn't constitute hazing.
That's a different discussion, however, from what got started here -- aeBOt's simple, broad assertion that "[t]echnically, it is hazing, because the house had alcohol available to the pledges. That constitutes as hazing in and of itself." As already noted, whether merely having alcohol available to pledges constitutes hazing would depend on local laws and the specific policies of the applicable GLO and sheltering institution. Such broad statements simply cannot be made with any real accuracy or helpfulness.

Last edited by MysticCat; 03-13-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Because just before posting, I added a sentence but added it to the wrong paragraph
Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I think what you're trying to say is look to the laws of the state where you are, your GLO's policies and your sheltering institution's policies (as well as whatever it was you seemed to be quoting from), and it should be rather clear what constitutes hazing. I think that often that it is the case (although the "if you have to ask if it's hazing, it probably is" test is a really bad test to apply to criminal law). I know my fraternity's hazing policies shouldn't leave much doubt in anyone's mind as to what would and wouldn't constitute hazing. Such broad statements simply cannot be made with any real accuracy or helpfulness.

That's a different discussion, however, from what got started here -- aeBOt's simple, broad assertion that "[t]echnically, it is hazing, because the house had alcohol available to the pledges. That constitutes as hazing in and of itself." As already noted, whether merely having alcohol available to pledges constitutes hazing would depend on local laws and the specific policies of the applicable GLO and sheltering institution.
Thanks for policing my late night rant.