Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,455
0 members and 1,455 guests
No Members online

Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting the Fraternities to respond...

Hey guys,
I'm my sorority's new social chair for the year. And we haven't really been active lately so I've put myself up to the task of planning mixers with the fraternities. The problem is, the guys just aren't responding to me. And I know that guys do take longer to reply to things in general, but how should I ask them again without seeming annoying/desperate? I'm worried I won't be able to set anything up
Basically I Facebook messaged a few that I thought would forsure do something with us and no definitive response. Should I ask them differently? Or should I give them specific dates to choose from?

Help me out, other social chairs
Old 01-09-2008, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

hey, i am in the exact same position. One of the best ways to get to frat guys is to go through the girls in your house. I had my friend who were good friends with certain frats to either send them my contact info or to talk to tha frat's social chair and tell them I would be contacting them. that really helped because it made the frats realize that they have friends in our house and want to have an event with us. as for those houses that are slow to respond... remember it's early in the semester and most guys are focused on their rush stuff right now. wait about a week and send them a quick message via facebook saying- hey just wanted to see if you got my message and were able to think about arranging an event with us. if they don't respond to that go through other guys in the house, if their brother are pushing for an event with your house they will get their shit done.

good luck!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzz View Post
Hey guys,

Basically I Facebook messaged a few that I thought would forsure do something with us and no definitive response. Should I ask them differently? Or should I give them specific dates to choose from?

Help me out, other social chairs
I would put a little more effort into it than sending a message via facebook. What you did was toss out some breadcrumbs and waited to see who showed up to eat them.

A phone call is a great start. You can talk about it on the phone, or even set up a meeting to discuss it. Handle it like a business meeting. Those on the exec board are the business managers of your org.

If you want to get anything done, you need to be proactive. This is good practice for when you are in the real world. Come to your meeting with 3 good ideas. You might want to meet with your social committee (if you don't have one, create one) to come up with the ideas. When you have your ideas, flesh them out - your budget, how many people to expect, etc. That way, when you do meet with the social chairs of the fraternities, you will have a lot of legwork done and better be able to pull something off.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much you guys!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

If your looking for your girls to become more active in the social scene my other suggestion is that you have the girls go to different parties then they may normally go to. Fraternities that havent mixed with you in awhile may want to meet your sisters and know that they are interested in socializing with them. If your sisters never go to their open parties sometimes fraternities won't mix with them because they even make at least that effort.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta13Girl View Post
If your looking for your girls to become more active in the social scene my other suggestion is that you have the girls go to different parties then they may normally go to. Fraternities that havent mixed with you in awhile may want to meet your sisters and know that they are interested in socializing with them. If your sisters never go to their open parties sometimes fraternities won't mix with them because they even make at least that effort.
I completely agree with everything you said, I know our fraternity absolutely dreads going to a social with a sorority that never wants to socialize with us or come to our parties and get to know us. My suggestion would be to see if you couldn't just set up a few casual parties in the beginning of the semester with the fraternities and then set up socials later on in the semester. Typically fraternities are more likely to go to a casual party where less effort is involved in dressing up. Hopefully the casual parties will let everyone just meet everyone.

If the fraternities are still doing rush in your area then try to convince as many of your sisters as possible to go to their rush parties and socialize.

Just remember this, since you haven't been socially active for a while it is going to take a fair amount of time to develop the social aspect. So don't be discouraged if a few socials feel like a flop this semester.

Last edited by -Pike-; 01-29-2008 at 01:41 PM.