Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,565
0 members and 1,565 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2007, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiRhoPres
The only local sororities I know of as hazing here are the multi-cultural ones. The social ones from what i know are better, atleast most. I know one guy who is pledging a local frat and he has to clean a lot. As for the Nationals at my school oh my the horror stories Ive heard. If your having a problem with hazing and your sorority isn't supposed to haze (I really don't know how it works in other locals with no school rules) you might want to let the founders know. Thats the best thing I can think of if your only a pledge.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
i'm in a local, and i'm sure i'll be nailed to cross for agreeing with the people that discussed wearing pins and doing things for a purpose. NM's have to greet sisters that they see on campus or in the house, but its not an "or else" thing, its just the right thing to do, we greet the NM's as well. It is not emotionally traumatic, its basically all about teaching our traditions, songs, chants and learning about the sisters. I pledged a sorority (a national) a experienced awful awful hazing and lasted about 3 weeks before i finally depledged. I had a really bad panic attack and the pledgemom and member at large gave me a glass of water and told me to get in the basement... or else. THAT is hazing. I understand that some definitions are broader and more encompassing than others and to some, the traditions of my sorority and others that were described are seen as hazing. I would never put any of my girls in a position that was emotionally detrimental or hurtful to their overall wellbeing. It is a dry program and we pair up sisters with tutors if needed, they have library hours and any events are planned around their schedules, including sickness, family and personal. I think that the NM's work for their letters and I know that all are very grateful for the experience... I guess it just varies from chapter to chapter but any activity that is hurtful (emotionally or physically) is unacceptable.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlethiaSi View Post
they have library hours
hazing

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
lol but they don't have to go if they don't want to, and allll the sisters go, actually the sisters have mandatory hours that they have to do per week
but good catch though lol
Old 04-13-2007, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone knows that being forced to do something out landish is wrong. Greek life shouldn't be based on proving that you deserve letters. At my campus thats one of the reasons why people shy away from joining. Greek life should be about expansion. Members should WANT others to expand themselves in a positive manner and represent their org because of that. Our new members learn about our sisterhood. And they do things that sisters do, as part of their education process. Letters aren't something to dangle in front of someone as a way to get them to run circles, it should be about producing people who care about what you care about and placing them in the community. I think many organizations simply have lost the true meaning of what their letters stand for and now they go along with whatever they *think* should happen, during pledge. Sure you have to have respect for your letters, but you can get that without being suject to degrading, demeaning, or mindless tasks. A sweatshirt with XYZ written on it, just isnt worth loss of self dignity and respect
Old 11-12-2007, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hazing has such a broad definition that it means like any kind of process could be considered hazing. The way they present greek life at my school, especially with panhel is pretty ridic. They want all the orgs to basically give their letters away, bake cookies, sew teddy bears, etc. dreampeace, it doesnt sound like your process was too crazy to me because i dont think you were touched in any way.