Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,416
4 members and 1,412 guests
John

Old 09-21-2007, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Grad school situation...

i'm so frustrated. I've been looking at grad schools, but i have a lot of problems to overcome and it's making me so discouraged

1. my grades, i left my undergrad in psych with a 2.9... !!!!! I'm not a good candidate for grad school.., according to everyone i've talked to... (i was wayyyy to involved in my sorority.... )

2. I started taking classes at the college I work for, and they had me take classes non-matriculated because I didn't have the GPA for matriculation, therefore I couldn't get loans. I don't make enough money to survive (not even live.. i mean SURVIVE) at my full time job, so I have to waitress nights and weekends. Usually, thursdays, fridays, saturdays, sundays, and a tuesday or something.... So, I don't have enough time to do my work, my field work, or anything. Plus I hated the program and I dropped out. This will not work in my favor either.

3. I have no money, and have loans from my undergrad that I defered during my grad classes, but now i REALLY can't pay them... My credit history is Horrible.

I feel so utterly defeated and discouraged. I feel like I'm going to get stuck in my job for forever, because I need experience in mental health or counseling in order to go to grad school to overcome my GPA but I can't get experience until I have a degree. It's an awful catch-22....

does anyone have advice or suggestions... or can anyone commisserate?
I have looked around a little for some grad assistantships... but i feel so defeated that I don't even feel like its worth it.
help!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Students loans bite. For real. But whatever you do, don't default. If all you can do is make a monthly payment of $10, $20, $50 then do it. If you default, it can be harder to get loans later.

In terms of getting experience without education/employment--have you thought about volunteering for an organization that provides counseling or human services? I don't know if you have the time, but if you can put on your resume that you have several years of volunteer experience in the field, that can make a difference. I don't know what field you're interested in, but think of some non-traditional ways of working and getting experience--maybe working at a home for troubled youth or such, where only a bachelor's is required for the live-in or caretaker type positions. Think outside the box and you might find something.

I am paying back a ton of loans from my undergraduate. I was fortunate to be accepted to graduate school because my grades weren't great but I think I got in because I had 10 years of real world experience behind me and everyone commented that my statement of purpose was good. So maybe time is what you need? Or have you talked with faculty in the grad school you're interested in? Found out if there is a way to get hired as a research assistant without being a student? That may get you entre to the program?

Hang in there!!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I also second the looking at some non-traditional counseling type organizations. Often small non-profits are simply looking for dedicated staff and will be willing to take just a bachelor's. Plus they may also be open to a flexible schedule for you should you need to re-take classes, since client appointments are always 9-5.

Plus the residence idea is great, this way you help alleviate housing costs which will hopefully put more money toward other needs.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
LPIDelta is correct- your resume, recommendations and statement of purpose all play as big a role as actual grades (according to a number of my friends who are currently doing grad programs).

Also- grad school is not the only way to increase the amount you are making, or get a better job. Upgrading your skill set with classes and programs, doing some serious networking and volunteer work (if you're in marketing do some volunteer marketing work for a non-profit, etc) can all help too.

Good luck!
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 09-21-2007, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

With your student loans, if the payment is more than a certain percentage of your income, you can get it deferred due to hardship. The major problem with grad assistantships and such is that you need to be a current student to pursue them (usually). As far as in the field, with a bachelors you CAN work in substance abuse (sometimes) as a real job, or certainly volunteer with perhaps a hotline or something like that.

Perhaps the school wasn't a good match for you? Most colleges I know will pay for your education if you're employed there. Get your finances stable. Find a better paying job and get yourself so you can eat, pay your bills ,etc. Then think about how you can get yourself back into grad school. You may not be able to find another job in the field, but you can get that experience through volunteering.. once you actually have the free time to do so.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what to do about the student loans, but the 2.9 GPA does not preclude you from getting into grad school, depending on the school.

What you need to do is network with counseling centers or "labs" at your prospective school. Then, you need to show them that you can do graduate work, successfully. Then, you need to get help with writing your statement of purpose and letters of recommendations for the program to which you want to apply.

It will take you 1-2 years to bolster your "portfolio". If you are able, you can sit in some of the classes.

And as far as payment, you need to see some people who can help you in the department. There are grants and scholarships to which you can apply. Especially if you want to treat various groups of people.

Currently, the military is begging for civilians to be ready to treat soldiers for coming home and separation. Anyone interested in PTSD and beyond, the DOD will pay large sums to go to school, but I think you have to give time back to the military if they pay it--but not overseas...

And schools always need child psychologists because there are so many kids growing up with disabilities like autism and bad parents, etc.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 09-22-2007, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
I don't know what to do about the student loans, but the 2.9 GPA does not preclude you from getting into grad school, depending on the school.

What you need to do is network with counseling centers or "labs" at your prospective school. Then, you need to show them that you can do graduate work, successfully. Then, you need to get help with writing your statement of purpose and letters of recommendations for the program to which you want to apply.

It will take you 1-2 years to bolster your "portfolio". If you are able, you can sit in some of the classes.

And as far as payment, you need to see some people who can help you in the department. There are grants and scholarships to which you can apply. Especially if you want to treat various groups of people.

Currently, the military is begging for civilians to be ready to treat soldiers for coming home and separation. Anyone interested in PTSD and beyond, the DOD will pay large sums to go to school, but I think you have to give time back to the military if they pay it--but not overseas...

And schools always need child psychologists because there are so many kids growing up with disabilities like autism and bad parents, etc.
I would totally agree with that. I got into 3 of the 4 PhD programs I applied for, with a 2.8 GPA. Its possible, but you must be stellar in other areas (essay, letters of rec, etc.)

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

When I worked inpatient psych, most of the Mental Health Assistants (like nurses aides on a mental health unit) had bachelor degrees in psychology. Most hospital/health care systems have very good tuition reimbursement programs and the MHAs often were going to school to get their masters' degrees. Sometimes they worked their fieldwork into their job by working with the PhD psychologists in group therapy or just spending their days off doing their internship with the PhD psychologists. Others worked on their CAC (Chemical Addiction Counslor) certifications and moved into the area of substance abuse. Many of the case workers for community mental health agencies were bachelor level people who were going to grad school part time also. I think you'll find that with more work experience in the area, you'll have an easier time getting into a grad school. When I was working on my masters in Clinical Psychology, I was one of the few who had ever actually worked with the mentally ill. One of my professors joked that she would like to pay me to sit in her classes and give real life examples.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Thank you everyone for your stories and encouragement, I really appreciate it... I'm going to start looking into volunteering in the field and/or grad assistantships....
I feel a bit better knowing that others have gone through something similar, and knowing that I'm not alone.
I really appreciate the help and advice
~Maggie