Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,552
0 members and 1,552 guests
No Members online

Old 06-16-2007, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Combined philanthropy??

Hi, I was wondering if anyone participated in a combined philanthropy with other greeks. I was thinking it might be fun to do a philanthropy with another fraternity/sorority if we supported similar causes. Or maybe a couple of the surrounding chapters of my sorority could get together to do one. Has anyone done this? Is it hard? Would you recommend it? Let me know! Thanks!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, you have a very valid question and not sure how to answer it.

We have a hot-tub-a-thon and invite one Sorority to participate each year. It is for a local Charity and both get PR from it.

ASA across the street from us do a teeter-totter-thon and have a Fraternity help them.

While it is each of the main GLOs local Charity, both get good Pr from it. After all, it goes for a good cause from both!

Hoped this helped?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-19-2007, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone participated in a combined philanthropy with other greeks. I was thinking it might be fun to do a philanthropy with another fraternity/sorority if we supported similar causes. Or maybe a couple of the surrounding chapters of my sorority could get together to do one. Has anyone done this? Is it hard? Would you recommend it? Let me know! Thanks!
We did this all the time when I was an active, and it is a great way to do some good work and also strengthen ties with other Greeks on campus or other chapters of your group at nearby colleges.

To get started, it is easiest to get a few people from each group to be involved and then participate in an event that is already in place through another organization. For example, everyone go help out at a local food bank during a collection drive, or set up a booth at a fair being put on by a local charity. Or even just get a group together to sign up for a local walk-a-thon.

By doing it this way, you can test the waters and see the degree to which the other groups are willing to participate and fund these efforts- and from that you can get into jointly hosting your own charitable events down the road.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie View Post
When I took my daughter to look at colleges, one campus we checked out was Penn State. The tour guide told us that the Greeks put on a Dance-a-thon every year and raise a huge amount of money.

DaffyKD
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm my chapter's Philanthropy Chairman and I've set up events with other GLOs. We never did anything big, but I think that it's best to do some smaller events to see if you could get along working on a larger project. You'll be happy to know that if you contact another house's philanthropy chair, they'll be grateful to have you and your members help.

For my house, when I set up events with sororities (I've never set up events with other fraternities) the guys are more likely to come out to the event . Also, you should remember to try to get involved with orgs outside the ones in IFC and PHC, you should also try to do events with NPHC and MGC. The first joint-event that I ever planned was with Delta Xi Phi Multicultural Sorority Inc. We've made a lot of friends in that group, which probably would not have happened otherwise since the different councils don't really seem to interact very much.

Also, try to get involved with groups outside the Greek system, I'm currently talking to the President of Circle K who is delighted at the prospect of doing a joint-community service project. The important things is that you should try to do events with a myriad of orgs that have a volunteer/philanthropic focus.

By the way, I was just elected as Philanthropy Chairman of the Inter-Fraternity Council before summer, so I've begun planning events for all 11 chapters in IFC.

www.SIUPhiSigs.com
Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
When I took my daughter to look at colleges, one campus we checked out was Penn State. The tour guide told us that the Greeks put on a Dance-a-thon every year and raise a huge amount of money.

DaffyKD
Thon is HUGE at Penn State - it's the Greek raison d'etre.

We often did philanthropies with a fraternity. I've mentioned many ideas, but most of the people felt they were too unsafe.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

There are a lot of fundraisers you can plan together-- teeter-totter, moon bounce, garage sales, talent contest, sports tournament, etc-- that you can do with another sorority or fraternity on your campus, your alumnae/i association, another chapter at another school. You can also co-plan service projects together.

Get together with your Panhellenic-- Dance Marathons, a Trick-or-Treat down Greek Street for neighborhood kids, etc.-- to perform service or raise money for a mutual goal.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think a combined philanthropy is a great idea. I tried it last semester. My attempt was unsuccessful due to the sorority we paired with--so the event was cancelled.

If you are going to do a combined philanthropy, make sure you know how compatible and willing to work the other house is.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

how does a tetter-totter event work and also how does a hot-tub a thon work as well. And also for the dance-a-thon how do you raise money for it do we get sponsers that sponser the event or is like were peolpe get pledges/donations for the amount of time people dance for.