GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,331
0 members and 1,331 guests
No Members online

Old 01-30-2002, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek life at a CA private Christian university

I just wanted to reply to the initial question, which was what is it like to be involved in greeks on a small or private campus. Well, as a sister of Chi Delta Psi... here at Point Loma Nazarene UNiversity, in San Diego... I would say that it has been a total blessing, yet it has also been difficult. Going to a religious school and being part of a greek seems to be somewhat of a contridiction in some ways, however I must say that we aren't a 'secular' greek, whatever that's supposed to mean. Anyways, to answer your question, it truly is wonderful. On a small campus of 2,500 I'm able to show people at ease what I stand for and what sisterhood means to me. I have a few friends at USD that are involved in the greeks, and they LOVE it. I think that no matter where you go though, private, public, religious, secular, small or large, there are positive and negative outlooks on greeks. But as for me I'm a ChiDeltaPsi Gal till the END!
-Ashley
Old 01-30-2002, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Pi Beta Phi is colonizing at LMU. Yeaaa!
Old 01-30-2002, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Pi Beta Phi is colonizing at LMU. Yeaaa!
That's GREAT Carnation! Pi Phi's USC chapter is SO STRONG!!! I wish them much success at LMU! 2 of my closest friends are DZs from LMU
Old 01-30-2002, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't tell you anything about rushing at CA colleges, because I didn't attend one (even though I now live in SoCal), but I did attend a small private school (crowded at 1200 students) with three sororities and know lots about what Rush is like.

In general, rush is nowhere near as stressful as I figure it would be on a larger campus (my friend went through rush at Indiana U., I don't know HOW she did it). Everyone at my school who went through rush got a bid if she wanted one. No one was ever cut after the first party, because rush was only three rounds and who can get to know someone well enough to decide if they want her for her sister in that amount of time?? Of course there's the tension and the excitement...I didn't really feel like I missed out on anything by going through at a small school.

I was very glad I joined the Greek system. My sisters and I were very close, and we were famous on campus for our unity even though we were the smallest chapter. It means you'll always have someone to eat with and being at a small school also gives you the chance to get to know women from other sororities. It also wasn't horrendously expensive b/c of our lack of houses.

About the job thing with the parents: This may sound bad, but don't ask, don't tell. There are a lot of low-stress campus jobs available...I got a great job and career training in the campus library...and why do your parents have to know, as long as it doesn't affect your grades? You will be of age, you no longer need their permission to get a job or join a sorority. I only worked 10 hours a week at my busiest. It was enough to cover sorority dues and have a little spending money left over. Think about tutoring, too...how could anyone argue with that?

If you want to go Greek, GO! This is YOUR life and you have to do what's best for you, not your parents. If you have doubts or questions, talk to your Rho Chi. I bet she'll be able to answer a lot of questions.

Are you insisting on going to college in CA? If not, I know of a nice private school in Wisconsin that might interest you...