Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 1,074
2 members and 1,072 guests
Duece464, JayhawkAOII

Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
No. More likely, it's poorly written legislation. Legislators are so busy trying to close up the loopholes to catch the real bad guys that they forget that their laws might have unintended consequences.

The worst part is that a legislator who wants to brings common sense back to his state's criminal code will be accused by opponents as being soft on crime, a charge that the generally uninformed electorate will definitely find persuasive -- especially if any changes to the existing law allow child molesters to go free without serving what the public perceives to be a fair sentence.
I think u are right about the poorly written part...in the beginning when all this was going down, the prosecutor took advantage of the law to get Genarlow put away in the first place....I will have to find the article that discussed that point.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
I think u are right about the poorly written part...in the beginning when all this was going down, the prosecutor took advantage of the law to get Genarlow put away in the first place....I will have to find the article that discussed that point.
I'm not sure I totally blame the prosecutor here. Wilson may be a bit of a martyr, but he was prosecuted fully within the law. The prosecutor may be doing the public a greater service by literally forcing the legislature to reexamine this really poorly written law. While Wilson may be in prison, perhaps his stay there will forestall the likelihood of future injustices such as his.

I'm sure that must be a pretty pathetic consolation to someone in prison, but sometimes, society needs a martyr. If there's any justice in the world, there will be a lot of public (financial) support for Mr. Wilson whenever he's released so that he can go on and get an education, etc.

Also, if I were an activist, I'd be putting pressure on the governor for a pardon. The governor's failing to do so thus far, in my eyes, tells me that enough pressure hasn't been put on him.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not sure I totally blame the prosecutor here. Wilson may be a bit of a martyr, but he was prosecuted fully within the law. The prosecutor may be doing the public a greater service by literally forcing the legislature to reexamine this really poorly written law. While Wilson may be in prison, perhaps his stay there will forestall the likelihood of future injustices such as his.

I'm sure that must be a pretty pathetic consolation to someone in prison, but sometimes, society needs a martyr. If there's any justice in the world, there will be a lot of public (financial) support for Mr. Wilson whenever he's released so that he can go on and get an education, etc.

Also, if I were an activist, I'd be putting pressure on the governor for a pardon. The governor's failing to do so thus far, in my eyes, tells me that enough pressure hasn't been put on him.

if you want to make an omelette you have be willing to break a few eggs.....
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 06-27-2007, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
It's sort of funny how people forget what a scumbag this kid is and only listen to what the media is spoon feeding them.

This guy is not a good or wrongly convicted person. Hell, ten years is too light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar281 View Post
The other side of the coin...

1. Genarlow Wilson was charged with rape, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, aggravated sodomy and aggravated child molestation.

2. Wilson engaged in intercourse with the 17-year-old after she was passed out drunk and high on drugs and encouraged the others to join him. The 17-year-old that accused the young men of rape and has never recanted. The 17-year-old was locked in the bathroom in between the sex acts and this resulted in a "false imprisonment" conviction for one of the men involved that evening.

3. There were six men with 40 prior arrests among them in a hotel room with a semi-conscious girl and a minor. One of the men impregnated a 12-year-old while awaiting trial and has since been convicted of statutory rape. Five of the six men pled guilty to the lesser charge of child molestation instead of aggravated child molestation. All are serving time.

4. Wilson refused the plea bargain and was unanimously convicted by a jury of his peers. The sentence for his crimes is a harsh, but mandatory, 10 years in prison.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
It's sort of funny how people forget what a scumbag this kid is and only listen to what the media is spoon feeding them.

This guy is not a good or wrongly convicted person. Hell, ten years is too light.
This is ironic, considering how twisted Kevlar's points had to be to draw a connection between them.

"Convicted of a jury of his peers" doesn't hold up, because he was convicted on a technicality, and the jurors have been interviewed post-verdict and noted they did not expect the sentence he got.

He's not on trial for his associations, nor should he be.

To my knowledge, he has never been convicted of sexing up a passed-out 17 year old - only of the (consensual) oral sex.

You have a good point about the media influence to an extent, but you're going just as far in the other direction. The punishment does not fit the crime as convicted - and for you to claim "10 years is too little" shows a sort of justice I don't want anything to do with.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

RC:

I think you'd agree with me that a prosecutor shouldn't try to punish someone for charges which he can't find evidence for with lesser charges that prosecutor can prove.

There are reasons we have rules of evidence -- to protect the innocent from unfounded allegations and give him an opportunity to confront his accuser.

Also, this country (in theory) has a presumption of innocence for the accused. This ought to be respected.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post

Coramoor....

Hmmm....we got child molestors, murderers, and dope dealers on the streets...all this kid did was get a blow job...and dumb enuff to film it...I am guessing you saved your virginity until you were twenty one or you live in a monastary? or maybe you are just jealous that you didn't get any attention in your teens?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
RC:

I think you'd agree with me that a prosecutor shouldn't try to punish someone for charges which he can't find evidence for with lesser charges that prosecutor can prove.

There are reasons we have rules of evidence -- to protect the innocent from unfounded allegations and give him an opportunity to confront his accuser.

Also, this country (in theory) has a presumption of innocence for the accused. This ought to be respected.
Yes, this is exactly why I have quite a bit of distaste for Kevlar's earlier assertions - well put.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Is this the guy who videotaped the whole thing?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
"Convicted of a jury of his peers" doesn't hold up, because he was convicted on a technicality, and the jurors have been interviewed post-verdict and noted they did not expect the sentence he got.
I’m really not surprised that some of the jurors have recanted considering the amount of scrutiny this case has received in the media. Regardless of whether they agree with the sentence that was given they did in fact find him guilty.

Quote:
He's not on trial for his associations, nor should he be.
I agree he is not on trial. He has been convicted. But now his case is in the media and in the court of public opinion wear I would say just about every story I have read in regard to this case has made it a point to mention that Genarlow Wilson was homecoming king, an honor roll student and a varsity letterman. Character works both ways and in this society right or wrong people are judged by the company they keep.

Quote:
To my knowledge, he has never been convicted of sexing up a passed-out 17 year old - only of the (consensual) oral sex.
This is correct he was not convicted; he was acquitted.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Is this the guy who videotaped the whole thing?
Did you know the girl in the video?

-Rudey
Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

A group of businessmen here in NYC have put together the $1 million bond needed to get Genarlow out of prison.