Members: 326,169
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,324
0 members and 1,324 guests
No Members online

Old 10-16-2005, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by Raynor; 11-09-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Hmmm...I remember meeting him at the Chi Omega Centennial Celebration in 1995. He was instumental in having a bronze bust of Dr. Charles Richardson (Kappa Sigma & Founder of Chi Omega) presented to our HQ.

I have no idea what he invented.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what he invented, but...

He is the Russ in Donruss, a high successful company that is involved with, among other things, baseball cards. I know he co-founded the company.

He's also been extremely involved with Kappa Sigma over the years, recently pledging $1 million to the construction of the new International Memorial Headquarters.

ETA: Just out of curiosity, what is this for? Are you a brother or pledge?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Raynor
I'm a pledge, Delta Xi Chapter at Ole Miss.
Welcome to the board and the fraternity.

Dr. Weiner is involved a whole lot with the Fraternity, so you'll hear a great deal about him as time passes. He's done a lot for the Fraternity as a whole, whether it be donating time, money or himself.

Good luck finding information.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I have found the answer. he invented double bubble bubble gum, and put it in the packs of Donruss baseball cards. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

other than double bubble, ive heard that he started some kind of foot fetish magazine..i know, sounds odd.

but he is an awesome guy and an awesome kappa sig. definately try to meet him someday
Old 12-14-2006, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Dr. Weiner, A True Humanitarian

Here is the background on Dr. Weiner's career profile:

Dr. Weiner's Father Thomas Weiner started a confectionary company making lolipops. During the sugar rations, he realized he could make more bubble gum with less sugar -- thus Super Bubble (Not Double Bubble) Gum was developed. Dr. Russell Weiner (a dentist by profession with the United States Military) and his brother, Don Weiner began to buy the rights to minor league baseball card player's images and trading card rights thus creating DonRuss baseball card company. Later they placed a stick of bubblegum in each package, long before Topps and Fleer (also originally candy makers) copied the process. Dr. Weiner later sold the company to the Kellog corporation. He know manages his stock investments, his nephew still works for DonRuss and another nephew manages real estate investments -- farmland/cotton farms. His daughter just recently married the President of FedEx (I believe).

Dr. Weiner and his wife Joy (a world renowned violinist -- playing for numerous European heads of state) are one of the most delightful couples I have ever met. They are very generous in philanthropic causes and have been overly generous to Kappa Sigma. Dr. Weiner just pledged a $1 million dollar life insurance policy to the new International Headquarters, in which the builidng will honor his name.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigfratguy View Post
Here is the background on Dr. Weiner's career profile:

Dr. Weiner's Father Thomas Weiner started a confectionary company making lolipops. During the sugar rations, he realized he could make more bubble gum with less sugar -- thus Super Bubble (Not Double Bubble) Gum was developed. Dr. Russell Weiner (a dentist by profession with the United States Military) and his brother, Don Weiner began to buy the rights to minor league baseball card player's images and trading card rights thus creating DonRuss baseball card company. Later they placed a stick of bubblegum in each package, long before Topps and Fleer (also originally candy makers) copied the process. Dr. Weiner later sold the company to the Kellog corporation. He know manages his stock investments, his nephew still works for DonRuss and another nephew manages real estate investments -- farmland/cotton farms. His daughter just recently married the President of FedEx (I believe).

Dr. Weiner and his wife Joy (a world renowned violinist -- playing for numerous European heads of state) are one of the most delightful couples I have ever met. They are very generous in philanthropic causes and have been overly generous to Kappa Sigma. Dr. Weiner just pledged a $1 million dollar life insurance policy to the new International Headquarters, in which the builidng will honor his name.
Thanks for the info, I knew bits and pieces but not the whole story.