GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 770
0 members and 770 guests
No Members online

Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

SAE-UGa: Our public statement

On Jan. 22, our freshman brother Lewis R. Fish died from a mix of alcohol, heroin, and cocaine.

The chapter has now made a public statement, after being quiet as requested earlier.

We know of no information connecting GA Beta of SAE at Georgia to the cause of Lewis' death.

We are now taking steps to insure that this tragic event does not concur again. This is our way of honoring the memory of our brother, Lewis Fish.

For five years, each fall we have hosted a drug and alcohol education and awareness program, with mandatory attendance and a $100 fine for unexcused absences. This spring we will host two addl. programs, presented by the UGa police chief and a professional counselor. We want to whole chapter to know more about identifying members with problems, and to know where to seek help.

Alumni have donated $25,000 to fund the chapter's anti-drug program. More is needed - contact alumnus Jimbo Laboon (706-543-2575) for info.

Lewis' drug abuse happened off our property.

The chapter has always had a zero-tolerance policy on drug use on our property and at our social functions, but we have learned during this investigation that some violations have gone unreported. This cannot and will not continue.

The penalty for zero-tolerance violations has always been immediate expulsion. Now, to encourage members to be forthcoming and to help us get assistance for problem members, a second chance will be offered if it is in the member's and chapter's best interest.

The brother will be expelled, but could be re-instated after six months of random drug screens, and monthly screens for another year. Each screen costs $20.

In the future, if any member is charged with an illegal drug offense or DUI, he will be suspended for one semester. If there is a trial related to the offense, more serious penalties are likely to follow.

Three SAE members (and four non-members) were arrested during the investigation, and charged with misdemeanor marijuana and alcohol possession. The members are not charged with providing drugs or alcohol to Lewis Fish - their charges involve an off-campus house party they hosted and Lewis (and many other students) attended.

These three members made poor decisions, placing their future at risk. They have been suspended until after Spring Break. If they follow an outlined program, they may apply for re-instatement.

We also learned during the investigation that five freshmen members recently violated our tolerance policy in the house parking lot. These five have been expelled, and can only come back after following the drug testing program and getting counseling.

Every brother living in the house has been screened for drugs, and every brother had a clean drug test.

We have learned that we do not spend enough time asking prospective members about their drug and alcohol experiences - and this will change. Simply being a good guy is no longer good enough. Coming from a good family, a good school, and a good community is not enough.

Lewis was a beloved member with a charismatic personality. Now is our time to remember him, his achievements, and the circumstances of his death. Therefore, we have suspended all social functions until late spring.

This action plan is the result of Georgia Beta's own internal investigation and evaluation. No one has required the chapter to take any of these steps.

The chapter is committed to learning from this trajedy, and honoring our friend Lewis Fish.

We are sending our statement to all of our living alumni.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I'm tired so maybe I am reading this wrong . .. but it seems like total overkill.

Your response is disproportionate to the lesson if the incident.

The lesson is: Do not take Heroin, Cocaine and Alcohol at the same time unless you are a seriously veteran user.

You responded like a kid asked what his punishment should be, and out of guilt and a desire to please he lists more stuff than anyone would normally require of him.

You already said you had a drug program at the beginning of each Fall. If you like, make it mandatory for new members on the Spring as well.

And if you really see the need to add emphasis, once again you can reiterate that you should not use Heroin, cocaine AND alcohol at the same time.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

James,

I disagree.

I'll admit that there probably is not way a chapter or it's National can prevent drug or alcohol use or abuse totally, but from a Risk Management and liability standpoint, they have to take the hardest line possible.

You've seen what happens when there is a death or hospitalization in any chapter -- everyone gets sued.

It's just a fact of life these days.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

To follow on what DA said, the chapter above is doing what it can to educate its members about drug abuse. This can be very helpful when the next kid decides to OD in that the chapter will be able to show that it goes far above and beyond the norm in educating members about the dangers of drugs.

It's very sad what happened and being reactive rather than proactive in solving a problem is better than doing nothing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 AM
GreekChat Member

[edit] Anyhow, good luck to the UGA guys... Don't let this negative attitude get to you. Yall are doing the right thing, and I'm sorry for your loss. I think its great that you're transforming grief from the death of Fish into action to help others. Its no wonder his parents are so supportive of yall.

Last edited by Kevin; 03-19-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...pxesp6zar3DpBG!-1988961797&UrAuth=`N]NUOcNYUbTTUWUXUWUZTZU_UWUbU_UZU]UaUcTYWYWZV&urcm=y

UGA may bounce hardcore boozers

By KELLY SIMMONS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/05/06

ATHENS — Escalating problems with underage and binge drinking, including the death of a first-year student from drugs and alcohol earlier this year, are prompting the University of Georgia to consider suspending or expelling students who repeatedly violate campus alcohol and drug policies.

Vice President for Student Affairs Rodney Bennett said his office was reviewing a "progressive response" with escalating punishments for students who are charged more than once with underage drinking or possession of alcohol or possession of drugs. The penalties could include removal from campus housing or suspension from school.

"It would not be the first time; it may not be the second time," Bennett said. "By the third time a reasonable person would say, 'Do you need to go home for a while and think about things?' "
Old 04-05-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless there is a Total Chapter envolved in this sort of thing, it seems to make more sense to hone in on the individual Student or Member.

Bagging a Total Group is getting out of hand and should be considered more closely!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-15-2006, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Drug charges dropped in Athens case

By KELLY SIMMONS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/15/06
Athens — The Clarke County solicitor has dismissed drug charges against the owner of an Athens house where a University of Georgia student was partying in the hours before he died in January.
Records show that misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana and drug related objects against Gene Whitner Milner III were dismissed because of "insufficient evidence," according to the solicitor's office. Solicitor Mo Wiltshire was not in the office Friday and could not be reached for comment.

UGA police chief Jimmy Williamson said Friday he was not aware that the charges were dropped.
He declined to comment further.
Milner and his father own a house that Lewis Fish visited the night before he died from a toxic mix of alcohol, cocaine and heroin.
No one was charged in Fish's death. However, the investigation led to charges against seven men who were at the house that night.
One was charged with felony possession of heroin; the rest with misdemeanor drug or alcohol charges. Milner, who was not in Athens the night of the party, was charged in connection with items found in the house.
Four of the men charged with misdemeanors are scheduled for arraignment Tuesday, according to the solicitor's office.
Milner could not be reached for comment Friday afternoon.
The Atlantan was barred from Clarke County in January after a string of alcohol-related arrests.
He attended UGA in the fall of 2004 and spring, summer and fall of 2005.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Pretty good summary by Atlanta Magazine this month.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/article.php?id=296

Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA-Beta View Post
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/article.php?id=296

I agree. I think it's as sympathetic a media report as you will find. The writer doesn't seem to have lost sight of the tragedy at the center, even as it reports on events and policies.

One thing new thing struck me as I read it: the number of people mentioned who had already been arrested for, usually, alcohol related isssues. Is this getting to be the norm?

I ran it through my "how might this have gone differently with someone I knew back in the day" mental filter, I kept coming back to parents who either would have yanked their kids out of school or put them on a pretty short financial leash that would have made it all but impossible to sustain that level of partying.* (I don't mean that anyone could have prevented this guy's death and I'm not trying to blame anyone.) I was just struck by how many guys had brushes with the law and were out doing the exact same thing.

Are minor in possession and other alcohol related charges so commom that no one takes them seriously?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Its a major college campus/town.....there are going to be significant numbers of MIPs/ MICs/ DUIs etc.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, Athens had been a major college town for a pretty long time now, but while I can remember a handful of DUIs, which were taken pretty seriously, among people that I knew, I don't remember there being a ton of other alcohol related arrests. Maybe the folks I knew just didn't get caught.

I was wondering if the casual attitude was a reflection of unintended consequences in changing alcohol policies at UGA and in Athens. Rather than making people be more serious and more careful because they didn't want to get arrested, it's made them more likely to think being arrested is no big deal.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I think casual attitudes have alot to do with it.....as does pressure to conform to what other schools are doing. Ole Miss just got new alcohol policies, OU got new ones a couple of years ago, UGA, and they are starting to tighten up down here as well. I would expect to see changes at many places in the near future.