GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,142
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, CalderTide
» Online Users: 1,454
1 members and 1,453 guests
John

Old 11-13-2006, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
I agree totally.
Here, Here. I would hope we all think and act that way.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:14 AM
GreekChat Member

first off i agree.

Second I am a student at Case.

The story you read is nowhere near all of the information that you should know. However I do not want to spread things that are not true so I will say only what I know is fact. As of last Friday there are no more SAE's on campus. They will not return (if they do at all) until 2011-2012. And there are other reasons why they got kicked off however I have not confirmed them. Yet, in the end it was a combination of both Case and the General SAE Fraternity, that led them to being kicked off campus.

I would also like to say that Greek Life at Case is a lot different then at other schools. Here at Case, it is by the book. The GLO will enforce policy and chapters will be brought before greek life Judical board. If there are people drinking underage at a party and there are over 6 (maybe 4?) members of a given fraternity that fraternity is liable. It also does not matter where they get caught. Also simply having a case of beer or a handle of liquor in the house can get you in trouble. Does not matter if it is empty or full too. You are not allowed to have alcohol in your facbook picture out of fear of getting the chapter in trouble. The list goes on and on.

Yet all of us that are greek know how the system works. We understand that this is the way it is. This is not to day we don't have a good time here, but it can not be done in a careless manner. And from time to time mistakes are made, people get careless. However I will say this while the GLO is by the book they are forgiving. It takes a lot to get kicked off campus. They really try their hardest to make sure that chapters can right their wrongs and stay on campus.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for giving a little more insight on Case.

It basically means follow the rules or say good by.

But it also seems that Case Western does give leeway a bit.

It could be Like Alford in NY who kicked ALL Greeks off of campus because A Local caused problems.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-14-2006, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

CaseGreek explained it perfectly. We all know what we can and cannot do, the rules are clear and as has already been stated. You follow the rules, or you don't get the option of breaking them anymore.

I find it interesting that our chapter of SAE got closed not too long before our chapter of FIJI comes back (they get to return this spring). Not for any reason specific to it being those chapters just that one is leaving and one is coming back.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPsi_Star View Post
CaseGreek explained it perfectly. We all know what we can and cannot do, the rules are clear and as has already been stated. You follow the rules, or you don't get the option of breaking them anymore.

I find it interesting that our chapter of SAE got closed not too long before our chapter of FIJI comes back (they get to return this spring). Not for any reason specific to it being those chapters just that one is leaving and one is coming back.

Timing is a big thing in these cases.

Usually when a Chapter is de-chartered, it is 4 years to clean out any and all members who were there at the time of infractions.

But it still boils down to the reason why they were kicked off, isn't it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseGreek View Post
first off i agree.

Second I am a student at Case.

The story you read is nowhere near all of the information that you should know. However I do not want to spread things that are not true so I will say only what I know is fact. As of last Friday there are no more SAE's on campus. They will not return (if they do at all) until 2011-2012. And there are other reasons why they got kicked off however I have not confirmed them. Yet, in the end it was a combination of both Case and the General SAE Fraternity, that led them to being kicked off campus.

I would also like to say that Greek Life at Case is a lot different then at other schools. Here at Case, it is by the book. The GLO will enforce policy and chapters will be brought before greek life Judical board. If there are people drinking underage at a party and there are over 6 (maybe 4?) members of a given fraternity that fraternity is liable. It also does not matter where they get caught. Also simply having a case of beer or a handle of liquor in the house can get you in trouble. Does not matter if it is empty or full too. You are not allowed to have alcohol in your facbook picture out of fear of getting the chapter in trouble. The list goes on and on.

Yet all of us that are greek know how the system works. We understand that this is the way it is. This is not to day we don't have a good time here, but it can not be done in a careless manner. And from time to time mistakes are made, people get careless. However I will say this while the GLO is by the book they are forgiving. It takes a lot to get kicked off campus. They really try their hardest to make sure that chapters can right their wrongs and stay on campus.
Case got some pretty strict rules.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtau305 View Post
Case got some pretty strict rules.
I don't see it so much as being strict as being careful and trying very very hard to break the Greek stereotype. A lot of people I know here had very different ideas of what greek life was like before they came here, and I'm geussing that greek life other places is different from how it is here. I love Case's greek system, for a lot of reasons, one of them is that we aren't seen as a bunch of drunken idiots because we have rules that make us be careful about what we do. So yeah...I don't see it as strict, I see it as careful and, honestly, a very good idea.