Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,167
0 members and 1,167 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2006, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Withdrawal of Recognition

Not sure if this has been posted here somewhere but I found it and thought I would post it in your forum.

From the Greek Life website at Colorado State University:

Withdrawal of Recognition

Due to recent events, Colorado State University has withdrawn recognition of the Pi Kappa Alpha (PIKE) fraternity as a student organization. The fraternity loses all advantages and privileges afforded to Greek and student organizations recognized by Colorado State including: use of campus facilities, equipment or resources; participation in intramurals or in the Greek league; participation in sponsored recruitment publications, training or events; participation in the Intrafraternity/Panhellenic Councils; sponsorship of any social or other events with any other university organizations; ability to participate in the University Seal of Approval endorsement a Preview on on the Greek Life and Parents and Families web sites and for recruitment periods; registration of football tailgating events; use of Colorado State University name, logo, or symbols.

Persons who chose to associate with Pi Kappa Alpha do so at their own risk.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

This is not new.
Pike National maintains and recognizes our chapter there. The decision was made, I'm told, because of the university's arbitrary and capricious actions and the absence of due process. We all know how arrogant and unfair administrators can be and evidently they behaved badly in this case.

Accorfding to the Summer 2006 issue of the Pike magazine, our Colorado State chapter currently has 109 members.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the university revoked recognition.

Though, it was without a substantive hearing and a chance for the chapter to defend itself. It was, unfortunately, another example of the near total incompatability of fraternities and greek life staff.

Yes, the Fraternity continues to recognize the chapter.

And this, in my opinion, is the great hope for fraternities. Just like what is happening in Boulder, university recognition is not a prerequisite for survival. Sure, it's nice to have university "sponsorship", but I'll submit that the university-sponsored formal rush period has been akin to institutional welfare - and has had a similiar impact on men's organizations.

Good for IIKA for sticking with their chapter. No chapter is perfect, nor is any individual nor any fraternity headquarters.

Universities are not fraternities' partners; we can be smarter... and better.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it is great that they are sticking it out and staying together! I have often wanted to get out of IFC at ASU because it is nothing more than politics and the "judicial system" is ridiculous. I think it might even strengthen a chapter to be more underground. We'd have to move off campus to get out of IFC however...so it'll be a while.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Independent versus Underground

To be "independent" means that a chapter is not recognized by a school and/or interfraternity council, but continues to operate openly. To be "underground" means that a chapter is not recognized by one or both, and attempts to operate secretly.

In general, I've always prefered using the term "independent" as opposed to non-recognized or underground - though there are reasons to use each word.

I do like seeing "PikeRugby2002" developing a thoughful analysis of the merits of recognition. If a school and/or interfraternity council isn't providing benefits, it doesn't make sense to join or remain a member. It makes even less sense to do so when there is a net cost to belonging - e.g. inordinate amounts of meetings, burdensome paperwork and recruitment restrictions.

In those cases, the alternatives are to go "independent" - or to form an alternative organization.

Remember, despite the conventional wisdom, traditions and "rules" on your campus - you can accomplish much more than most realize.

Just think of how wonderful it would be to be a member of an association of like-minded fraternities. Those that are interested in actively marketing fraternity membership, promoting fraternity accomplishments and encouraging healthy competition - not enforcing restrictions. Let others languish in the interfraternity council tar pit... start your own coalition!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

FratAmerica, kudos to you!!
You are absolutely correct. Most IFCs are set up by the university administrations to bully and control the fraternities. The IFC should be a trade association with voluntary membership, and it should exist to represent the fraternities, not to bash and restrict them.