» Online Users: 844
1 members and 843 guests
60αρης Ηράκλειο
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Did you tell her you knew her college classmate, "NutBrnHair?!?" Oh...wait...she knows me by a different name. Nevermind.

Can I also interrupt your forum to give my thoughts on "controversial" Convention speakers?

About 15 years ago, Chi Omega named Congresswoman Pat Schroeder a "Woman of Achievement" at a Convention. (Certainly, politically a controversial person.) She attended. Received the award. Gave a speech and was lovely. She recieved a standing ovation (not from 100%) but overall, was very well received. All should be able to agree she did "achieve" great things -- whether or not you would VOTE for her was another thing.
Very appropriate description! There are so many speakers I've applauded for the fact that they did make a difference - not that I applauded what the difference was.

I didn't know that Pat Schroeder was a Chi Omega, either!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I didn't know that Pat Schroeder was a Chi Omega, either!
Yes! (Pi Beta Chapter - Univ. of Minnesota)
Old 09-14-2006, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I really just don't like us talking ill of our own sisters- we don't all agree on everything but regardless we have something in common that we should respect about each other... I "live for each of my sisters" even those I might agree with politically because at the end of the day I think sisterhood trumps politics!

That's my 2 cents

ADPi is not for four years, it's for a lifetime!!!

"Let Us Sing to Alpha Delta... to the White and Azure Blue"
Old 09-14-2006, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Only one commenter outrightly stated she didn't like NG. The rest were constructive thoughts.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpideltaup View Post
I really just don't like us talking ill of our own sisters- we don't all agree on everything but regardless we have something in common that we should respect about each other... I "live for each of my sisters" even those I might agree with politically because at the end of the day I think sisterhood trumps politics!

That's my 2 cents

I personally agree.

Even if we allow even one person, which we have done in the past, to say negative things about one sister, then it just snowballs out of control,

This is also coming from a person who has been embroiled in situations like this. Take it from someone who has had less than pleasant arguements with other members of GC (sisters no less) online and basically it's really not worth it.

It's not worth the time and the energy. I totally would let my emotions get me carried away.

And this could become a contraversial (sorry spelled it wrong) topic where emotions might get carried away.

Unfortunately we feel much safer to say what we really think online than we would in person, because this is much more "anonymous", you're not saying it to their face.

Just my take on the situation.

Open to disagreements

Just please don't be too mean , I've had a bad (read ADPi Random and you'll "see" why )

Man, I sound like an adult. AHHHHH. LOL

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-14-2006, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Excellent points, but in this case we are talking about a public person/celebrity. A public person opens themself to public scrutiny through their celebrity. It's a free country, and if someone finds Nancy Grace's interviewing tactics reprehensible it is not unsisterly to say so. We're not criticizing her within the context of the sorority. This has nothing to do with one Greek Chat member to another. To say one cannot express a negative personal opinion about a public figure just because they share membership in the same social organization is going a bit too far.

Unsisterly- members of the same chapter or AA being hurtful or slandering another member.

Public Opinion- offering personal views on a figure who has intentionally placed themselves in the public spotlight.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

See I can't really make an opinion about her, because I haven't watched any of her shows.

I mean I see the listing on the DVR of Nancy Grace and know that her show is on cable (court tv), but I don't really want to sit around and watched commentary about cases that I know nothing about.

Now, I think I did watch her give commentary about our serial rapist/killer (who they have a suspect in custody but not sure if he is the Baseline Killer), but I didn't watch a lot.

The only thing I really know is what the Adelphean printed and I have to say that I admire her. What she went through as a collegiate/graduate student, I can't even imagine, but she persevered and I give her great props for that.

Question, is she like really conservative or liberal and that is why people either like her or don't like her? (I'm talking as a general, the public view, not the sisters view).

Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

she tends to talk over people she doesn't agree with, and badger them or to insinuate guilt--- most recently she grilled the mother of a missing toddler. The mother had been told not to say some things on the air in the interests of the investigation, but NG continued grilling and pressing her--- the next day the young mother committed suicide. The missing child's father has publicly said he doesn't hold NG responsible for the suicide, but the man is the decedent's estranged husband. Another reason people jump all over NG is she tends to ingratiate herself with the "pretty missing white girl" stories and human interest-missing persons/domestic violence stories.

She's been parodied a bit on cop dramas-- I think it was Law and Order which had a news reporter called "Faith Yancy" or somesuch-- and one of the recurring characters on the new show Justice has a news anchor whose look and demeanor closely resemble NG.

As far as her back story-- yes, at age 19, her fiance was murdered. But she has also greatly exaggerated the story, omitted facts and outright stretched the truth concerning the circumstances. She went on to be a successful ADA and received only 3 or so citations in the courtroom for conduct out of over 100 trials prosecuted. She really vilifies defense attorneys and has called them "nazi's".

I'm not trying to turn this into a debate over whether or not NG is a good or a bad person. I'm fairly neutral on HER as a person. I just feel there is just cause to be able to express criticism or disapproval of a public person if we so choose. All these things being said, I'm sure she is a lovely person when off-the-clock. She's just doing her job and doing it well-- her notoriety comes with the job.

Last edited by adpiucf; 09-14-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info

Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

I'd like to remind everyone that many chapters still involved with Recruitment. We all wear the same Black Diamond; whether you personally respect a sister's viewpoint or not should not supercede the respect for the pin which she wears.
Closed Thread