» Online Users: 1,443
1 members and 1,442 guests
No Members online

Old 06-04-2006, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IotaNet
Quote:
Originally posted by SOLOMON_1906
I knew you were about to go there...lol...

1898 ALL KNEES SHALL BOW...ALL HAIL SINFONIA
Before people start shaking their heads and/or getting confused, let me explain something ...

*SINFONIA = Another name for Phi Mu Alpha, Professional Music Fraternity.
*Kappa Kappa Psi = National Honorary Band Fraternity. (You saw us proudly representing in the movie, "Drumline")

On many (many!) campuses, PMA and KKY maintain a (for the most part) friendly rivalry. Every now and then it gets ugly but for the most part we are kissing cousins. That said, it's not unusal for a KKY Brother to "tweak the nose" of a Sinfonian (or vice-versa) -- even on the Internet!

Whats really interesting is that membership in these groups is not mutually exclusive. There are thousands of people who are members of both!

EDIT: After I made this post, I did some Internet searching and came up with an interesting piece of information. This is from the website of Alpha Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi:

"Joint Statement of Kappa Kappa Psi and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia

We believe that there are important roles for both Kappa Kappa Psi and Phi Mu Alpha to fill on the many campuses where chapters of the two organizations now exist or will exist in the foreseeable future. We discourage mutual exclusivity of membership and disavow the existence of any interpretation of national policy requiring such exclusivity within either organization.

We believe that each group must recognize its own inherent inability to fill the other's role yet acknowledge in each other an undeniable similarity of purposes. Such awareness leads to the fostering of mutual cooperation and, we believe, will aid in the attainment of our respective goals."

Last edited by IotaNet; 06-04-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IOTA-4A'88F
Re: Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by MSUAlumni
I have researched all of the organizations, and with the exception of being the newest and smallest...
First, I would like to give thanks to MSUAlumni for your respectful interest and massive massive respects to everyone that commented. IotaNet and SunTzu, bruhs, yall rock.

Even though we may be the newest and smallest to be inducted into the NPHC, Iota is, by far, not the newest or smallest. There are many black fraternities and sororities all across campuses that were founded after us. We, as Iotas, have to recognize their boldness, respect their choice and applaud their determination to, in essence, find their own path to blaze. Build their own tradition.

Quote:
Was there any resentment that your organization was admitted to the NPHC? What is the general relationship, being positive or negative, with the other organizations of the NPHC?
Bros IotaNet and Solomon1906 (of A Phi A) gave great comments. Yes, there were some resentment and, unfortunately, there is still a residue of resentment from the some of the old old heads. Is that to be expected? Yes. Change is hard for some in Black Greekdom. With some of the new heads, it's more of a 'friendly' rivalry on different levels, BUT the most important thing is the respect for each other's achievements. The same type of resentment we faced is going to be the same type of resentment the next fraternity or sorority will face when it's time for them to petition NPHC. Like IotaNet, I was around when we were not a part of the National Pan Hell, it was a uphill battle to gain respect and along that road, IOTAS prevailed.

Quote:
why did you choose IOTA over the more "popular" organizations.
As a young NYC buck, the only fraternity experience I had were local fraternities (Order of the Feather and Pen & Scroll Military Fraternity) where they perform countless community service programs which I benefitted from. I knew I wanted to be a fraternity man. When I stepped on Morgan's campus, I had no idea what an Alpha, Que, Kappa, Sigma or Iota was. I quickly made friends with all, but mostly with Iotas. Many Iotas I became friends with, I didn't know they were Iotas mainly because Iotas (in the late 80s) didn't wear that much "P" and wasn't much available. Some Morgan Iotas took me to an Towson Iota party and as the brothers were "gripping" each other up, one mistakingly gave me the grip. I quickly said I wasn't frat. He looked at me and said, "You came with frat, so you are frat tonight and that whole night I was introduced like frat (with me quickly saying I wasn't) and treated as such. That blew my mind. And I never looked back. I knew I made the right choice.

Yes, indeed, 2000 was a good year for Iota Phi Theta. I was not able to attend the grand opening/dedication of the Nat HQ's, but I was there to get it ready. That day, I cried (happy cry) because that building represented the hard work of every Iota from 1963 to 2000. I will be the same hard work for every Iota from 2000 on.

Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. "OW~OW!!"
F&AM-PHA-MD "2B1~ASK1"
"I travel Li/G\ht and always follow the Polaris Star."

www.myspace.com/masdesigns06
Old 08-18-2006, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

This is one of my fave non-Delta threads.