Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,378
1 members and 1,377 guests
Xidelt

Old 02-16-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Forming a chapter???

A few friends and I would like to form a chapter of SAI at our university. We've heard stories about SAI from the Sinfonians and really would love to be a part of such a great organization. Do you guys have any advice for us about starting a chapter at our school?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not happening at WIU. I looked into it while I was there. In order to have SAI there, MPhiE would have to sign an alliance - which they are not going to do. There are other reasons why SAI would never fly there, but that's the main one. You'd be better off looking into Phi Beta (I think it's Phi Beta that's music, art, and theatre).
Old 02-16-2006, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Omicron is also a music sorority isn't it?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Re: Forming a chapter???

Quote:
Originally posted by pheemusweetie
A few friends and I would like to form a chapter of SAI at our university. We've heard stories about SAI from the Sinfonians and really would love to be a part of such a great organization. Do you guys have any advice for us about starting a chapter at our school?
Since you are apparantly on a "shared campus", meaning you also have Mu Phi Epsilon, you will need to talk this over with that chapter because they have to sign an alliance allowing you to be there. THey might be resistant to it; however, if I were you, I'd still talk to them if this is something important to you. Tell them that you're not trying to be in competition with them; you just would love to see the music greeks expand.

You wouldn't be a threat to Mu Phi Epsilon. Each greek org will have a distinctive personality...I would point out to them that even if there was an SAI chapter, you wouldn't threaten their existance and growth because your personality type would probably be different from them; otherwise, you'd want to be in Mu Phi Epsilon, right?

Go talk to some members of that group. Make sure to make it a positive thing and stress that you're not doing this to be in competition with them, and perhaps they'll be for it.

Keep us updated!!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Forming a chapter???

I see you're in Naperville. Where do you go to school?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

She goes to Western IL. The MPhiE's when I was there said there was NO WAY they would EVER let SAI on campus...although most of those girls are probably gone, that's one org that's excellent in passing attitudes from one pledge generation to another.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a little bit confused. I have not heard of such a law, but then again I didn't go to a school that had a Mu Phi Epsilon on campus.

Does that mean that if a Mu Phi Epsilon wanted to come onto the campus of Eastern Illinois University (where I went) they would have to get permission from my chapter of SAI to do so?

It's just little confusing since we are both affiliated with the National Interfraternity Music Council, and want to spread the joy of music to all, that unless a member isn't in both, how that could be a problem.

Kappa Delta Sorority

Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity
Old 06-16-2006, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas13
I am a little bit confused. I have not heard of such a law, but then again I didn't go to a school that had a Mu Phi Epsilon on campus.

Does that mean that if a Mu Phi Epsilon wanted to come onto the campus of Eastern Illinois University (where I went) they would have to get permission from my chapter of SAI to do so?

It's just little confusing since we are both affiliated with the National Interfraternity Music Council, and want to spread the joy of music to all, that unless a member isn't in both, how that could be a problem.
They have an agreement that one cannot be on campus w/o the permission of the other. You cannot be a member of both. If MuPhiE wanted to come to EIU, they would have to get SAI's permission.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
They have an agreement that one cannot be on campus w/o the permission of the other. You cannot be a member of both. If MuPhiE wanted to come to EIU, they would have to get SAI's permission.
I assumed you couldn't be a member of both, just like with Panhellenic/Interfraternity sororities and fraternities.

I just was just wondering why either would have to get permission from the other to come to a campus that already had one. I am assuming this is in both bylaws, I was just wondering how it came about and why?

Kappa Delta Sorority

Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity
Old 06-27-2006, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

It's an agreement that the fraternities have with each other, much like how Panhellenic sororities must go through a special process with NPC before they can colonize on a given campus.