GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,165
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,143
1 members and 1,142 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-12-2006, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

MIT Incident

MIT Fraternity Accused Of Robot Hazing
April 12, 2006 | Issue 42•15

CAMBRIDGE, MA—Several members of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology chapter of the Theta Tau fraternity are in campus-police custody today following a brutal hazing incident in which one robot remains missing and two others are in critical condition with extensive circuitry and servo-motor injuries, sources revealed Monday.

The robots, experimental prototypes recently devised at MIT's prestigious Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, were participating in an apparent initiation exercise that police say involved butyl alcohol and compressed air.

According to eyewitnesses, the three robots were ripped from their chargers at the Theta Tau chapter house at 3 a.m. Tuesday. One, a titanium-alloy hexapod approximately 13 inches in diameter, was reportedly forced to climb stairs built at a grade too steep for its small hinged legs, causing six of its pneumatic actuators to short out. A second robot, a biped from MIT's Leg Laboratory, was allegedly forced to replicate "the same humiliating hopping algorithm" 200,000 times, and is currently in critical condition in the laboratory's emergency-repair room.

The third robot, a tread-driven 38-inch-tall rover, is feared drowned after being forced to consume over 40 terabytes of data and then swim across the Charles River with a burning candle stuck in its rear port.

"We will thoroughly investigate this matter, and take strong disciplinary action," MIT Dean of Students Geraldine Knight said. "These robots are extremely artificially intelligent. They wouldn't willingly subject themselves to this sort of abuse without extreme levels of peer pressure or even downright reprogramming."

Among those detained for questioning were Theta Tau chapter president David Kovis, treasurer Charles Leung, and fraternity members Lee Berger, Andy Ockridge, A. Muduthanapally, and Chen Kwan Tan. They could be charged with first-degree botslaughter and operating a motorized robot under the influence, charges that carry a maximum punishment of lifetime banishment from the MIT Media lab.

This is not the first case of robot hazing on the campus. Last fall, during "Rush Week," a spider-legged unit was found struggling in a closet at MIT's School of Engineering, stripped of its outer casing, its motion sensors covered with duct tape. The perpetrators were never found.

On another occasion, a robot was locked in a room and forced to calculate pi to the 1083 decimal place in what officials called one of the worst cases of binge-thinking they'd ever seen.

This latest incident comes in the wake of a February episode in which an ambulating chatbot device created at Caltech was programmed to repeat the phrase "I am a faggot" while locomoting across campus.

Robots have also reportedly been made to fight each other, often to total annihilation, in the basements of applied-science-based campus fraternal organizations during their respective "hell weeks."

The Theta Tau fraternity house where the alleged systems abuse took place.
A spokesman for the Theta Tau fraternity claimed that the "fun just got out of hand," and that the robot pledges were "100 percent cool with the initiation."

"They showed us they were willing to do anything to be Theta Tau brothers. Loyalty, commitment, and conformity are what the Greek system is all about," the spokesman said.

In protest, human-emotion-simulator robot Kismet, a respected member of the MIT community, announced that it will only display an expression of disapproval—refusing to smile, show fear, or raise a curious eyebrow—until those responsible receive appropriate punishment.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Lewd Actions with a Robot?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-12-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

MIT Fraternity Accused of Robot Hazing

Loved this. They could be charged with first-degree botslaughter and operating a motorized robot under the influence, charges that carry a maximum punishment of lifetime banishment from the MIT Media lab.

MIT students discuss the robo-hazing incident at The Thirsty Scholar, a popular local hangout.

© Copyright 2006, Onion, Inc. All rights reserved.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

ummm....this is the oddest story i think I've ever read, lol
Old 04-13-2006, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Brilliant
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
MIT Fraternity Accused of Robot Hazing

Loved this. They could be charged with first-degree botslaughter and operating a motorized robot under the influence, charges that carry a maximum punishment of lifetime banishment from the MIT Media lab.

MIT students discuss the robo-hazing incident at The Thirsty Scholar, a popular local hangout.

© Copyright 2006, Onion, Inc. All rights reserved.

Oh Oh, Are These Robotics samples?

If so, I am interested in some of the Lady Robotics!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Oh Oh, Are These Robotics samples?

If so, I am interested in some of the Lady Robotics!
Tom you want nothing to do with the ladies at MIT or Caltech.

lol

-Rudey
Old 05-16-2006, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_I.S.O.S Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_I.S.O.S
Angry

I am insulted!!!!!! We have beautiful women at MIT!

Take it back!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Diva_I.S.O.S
I am insulted!!!!!! We have beautiful women at MIT!

Take it back!!!
I hate David Blaine. You may ask what does that have to do with anything, and that's a fair question. My response: I wouldn't touch these girls with David Blaine's dick.

http://web.mit.edu/ec/www/cannoncoeds/

But I bet they have great personalities.

-Rudey
--Anyway it's a joke, no harm intended
Old 05-17-2006, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Actually, that's the MIT Soccer team pounding down a few brews before they went out to haze a few robots.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

The women in the pictures Rudy linked to must be overflowing with self esteem because I sure would not have posed for those photos.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_I.S.O.S Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_I.S.O.S
Talking

I knew it was a joke. I meant to put another smiley face in there, but I didn't. Truth be told, you aren't the first to say that MIT women are not exactly the most beautiful women in the world....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I hate David Blaine. You may ask what does that have to do with anything, and that's a fair question. My response: I wouldn't touch these girls with David Blaine's dick.

http://web.mit.edu/ec/www/cannoncoeds/

-Rudey
--Anyway it's a joke, no harm intended