Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,163
0 members and 1,163 guests
No Members online

Old 03-10-2006, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
What is a reasonable entry-level salary (not including benefits) for some of the bigger corporate careers for people who have liberal arts type educations?

I'll list some and see if anyone has any thoughts. Of course, specify the area of the country!

Communication (e.g. publishing, news, radio, etc.)
Consulting
Financial Services (e.g. banking, tax stuff/like H&R Block, etc.)
Finance (e.g. Morgan Stanley)
Hospitality
Human Resources

Please feel free to add!! I know there are websites that give averages but they are JUST averages...and they don't seem very accurate. And, I also realize that many factors play into hiring.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

aside from websites like salary.com or the bureau of labors statistics (i think), going to the websites for each industry would be another good thing to look at. with all the numbers i would be able to pick a good range of what you could expect.

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
What is a reasonable entry-level salary (not including benefits) for some of the bigger corporate careers for people who have liberal arts type educations?

I'll list some and see if anyone has any thoughts. Of course, specify the area of the country!

Communication (e.g. publishing, news, radio, etc.)
Consulting
Financial Services (e.g. banking, tax stuff/like H&R Block, etc.)
Finance (e.g. Morgan Stanley)
Hospitality
Human Resources

Please feel free to add!! I know there are websites that give averages but they are JUST averages...and they don't seem very accurate. And, I also realize that many factors play into hiring.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaTish
As for a temp agency taking a percentage of the pay, what's wrong with that? They are a business and they are able to get you a job where otherwise you are having no success (once again not calling out anyone specifically, but stating in general terms). Don't want to pay a fee? Go down to the state offices and try and find a job suited to your taste at the local job link with the rest of the underprivileged/unemployed. After one day there, I know you'd be singing a different tune about the temp agency getting a cut.
Mine doesn't take a cut of my pay. I get $X per hour, they charge the company I am at $Y per hour. You could probably consider that a cut, but I"m getting exactly what I was promised.

And it's kind of funny but I got an email last week from my agency telling me that I have the opportunity to upgrade my insurance (still at full cost paid by them) because I'm a long term employee.

April 1st marks 6 months.......
Old 03-27-2006, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that going through a temporary agency is totally fine.

So many companies go through agencies because they dont have time to do things themselves and its much easier to have someone else do it for them.

I got my college degree, but have never found anything in my field open around here. You need like 5 or more years experience and coming out of college I had none so I have no chance. Its been 3 years so I am over it already.

Anyways, I couldnt find jobs so I went to a temp agency. I did the temp to hire and got a great job I loved. I worked there for over a year. Recently, there were some cuts so a lot of jobs were lost and one was mine so I am now back on the job search.

I have applied at all temp agencies in the area to help me. Its more of a tool for you. They do screw you with money because at my old job we hired temps for the secretary job and she made 10 a hour and the agency got 16 a hour for her, but in the long run it can help you.

You are out there looking for jobs and they are too. They find jobs you may not ever know about and most places want to help you. They are getting money if they place you so they want to find you something great. Its great because you can quit when you find exactly what you want or you may find what you want through them. You get paid every week and have money while you are searching. Its better than sitting around is how i look at it and you arent going broke if you are temping while searching.

Dont let them put you in a job you dont want though. Know what you want or what you are looking for. I once went on a job because they talked me into it and it was horrible. I told them though I wouldnt stay so they found me something else, and they want as much money for you so dont take the low amount, tell them you want more.

Administrative Assistants make so much less than what they are worth. Im looking for something like that now. I have a degree but everyone wants to pay you 10 a hour or something. Keep looking. I applied for one this week for 17 a hour, most Ive seen for a Admin, but Im sure everyone applied to that one. I was a Office Manager but those are hard jobs to find so now Im looking for anything. Just keep on searching, youll find something.

Agree on the jobs taking forever too. If you apply to something on Careerbuilder it could take 2 months before they call you. At my last jobs we posted on careerbuilder for a job and we got 400 resumes in a week. It takes forever to swift through them and decide who is best to call in. It took me 3 weeks to go through all those resume to just decide who to call to talk to. If its a small office or just one person looking at resumes it takes a while. A lot of places like to have you submit them by fax or mail, it weeds out a lot of people who just email resumes and they get more interested canidates.

Good Luck on your search.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a couple of questions.

Do you have to go through interviews and send resumes?

How often can you switch jobs, can you do it week to week?

Can you select your days and the hours you want to work?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
I have a couple of questions.

Do you have to go through interviews and send resumes?

How often can you switch jobs, can you do it week to week?

Can you select your days and the hours you want to work?
If you're trying to do Temp-to-hire, generally you go through resume/interviews, but the Temp company takes care of sending them out. If it's a shorter job (a few days or weeks), usually there's no interview.

When you are given a temp assignment, you are given how long it will last (or at least a general idea). You are expected to complete the entire assignment. If you don't complete your assignment, normally the agency will throw you to the bottom of the candidate pool - they need people who can follow through.

You can tell your agency what hours you prefer to work, and they will try to find jobs that match those hours. They can and will, though call you at 3pm on Monday and ask if you would like to work at 9 am Tuesday thru Friday (that happened more then once to me). You have the right to turn down any assignment - and it generally should be without penalty to your "rank" on their list. Temps are usually "ranked" according to assignment completion, Client feedback, neatness/presentation, test scores when starting at the agency, etc... and those who are top ranked get offered the assignments first, and on down the list until someone accepts the assignment.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

it doesn't sound to me like you put much effort into the temp agency situation. I think some companies aren't going to work out sometimes, so try another. Find out which ones the companies you would want to work for go through.

Yes, you do have experience as an administrative assistant and a college degree but thats the pay of the position you were applying for.. if you don't like the pay get a job in another area.
I think that you should apply for a position in the area you have a degree in.. take an entry level job in that field stressing the job experience skills you have gained.

I have to agree with floridatish.. so many people feel like just because they have a college degree they are entitled to a position and that employers will come to you. Its competitive out there.. and can take time.

If you don't like the position you are in.. set goals on where you want to be and figure out how to get there. Take more classes if need be, get the experience neccessary in that field, but dont sit back and wait for this dream job to be handed to you.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

What is your degree in (did I miss that somewhere)?

ditto the previous post. You sound as though you expect a frankly entry level (or in some cases the final level) job such as a teller or a secretary to be a high paying one. I know many people who are tellers who do not have college degrees, and most of the admins, even the admins of senior level vp's here, do not have college degrees. If you are entering fields which require little to no skill set (i.e. you learn on the job) you cannot expect your college degree to make you more attractive, and you certainly face enourmous (and potentially lower salary) competition.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Its hard finding a job, but temp agencies can definately help you out.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Temporary jobs have helped me out when I was in those states that had a sluggish economy. Maybe you can temp for awhile save money and then maybe relocate to a better area fora job.
While temping I ran into people who said that their temp position eventually became permanent for them. Also, substitute teachers make a pretty good salary at least $100.00 or more a day depending upon what area of the country you may live in. Just some food for thought and advice from one whose been around the job game for awhile!