GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,230
3 members and 1,227 guests
shadokat

Old 11-27-2001, 02:40 PM

Musicians?

Hey, Do any of you ladies and gents play an instrument? It would be nice to know if there are other musicians in the house.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
I don't play and instrument although I played the flute in elementry and middle school* no band camp though!!*hehe but I do sing, so I guess tecnically that still makes me some sort of musician right??

Nicholie
Old 11-27-2001, 03:35 PM

Ya, voice definetly counts...heh, band camp...
Old 11-27-2001, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
another musician

I will graduate with my degree in music in less than 3 weeks. I've played flute for the past 11 years and been involved in a variety of performance venues. I've also picked up the guitar over the past 3 years or so but I'm really not very good. I have functional piano skills but I only started playing since I got to college (because it was a requirement) and I don't put very much time into it since I'm very competitive with my flute.

PKTSU01--what do you play? what type of music do you specialize in?
Old 11-27-2001, 03:46 PM

Re: another musician

Quote:
Originally posted by ladybug1116
I will graduate with my degree in music in less than 3 weeks. I've played flute for the past 11 years and been involved in a variety of performance venues. I've also picked up the guitar over the past 3 years or so but I'm really not very good. I have functional piano skills but I only started playing since I got to college (because it was a requirement) and I don't put very much time into it since I'm very competitive with my flute.

PKTSU01--what do you play? what type of music do you specialize in?
Well, I feebly attempt to play guitar and bass, but I was trained as a percussionist since I was 11, I'm 22 now. I also play piano, which wasn't too hard to learn because of all of the theory I picked up from listening to the damn woodwinds and brass go through scales everyday. My music that I write is, well, rock pretty much, but i'm more into producing now then I am into composing, although i do that. I figure, i want to probably end up producing anyways, so I may as well start somewhere.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I play the violin. Started when I was 12 in middle school and I ended up choosing a music conservatory for college.

I got so burnt out there because everyone was *really* into music and I wasn't quite like that. Couldn't imagine teaching, sitting in an orchestra or traveling in a chamber music group. I transfered out and currently major in business.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Very cool It takes a lot of persistance to break into the professional music business and I wish you the best of luck. If I could I would be an in orchestra but those jobs are1 in a million. Maybe one day though....
We must have started playing at the same time as I'm 22 too
Old 11-27-2001, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Those orchestra jobs are hard to come by. In the nation's major orchestras, it literally takes someone to die to have a seat open up!
The music profession really seems to be about talent and who you know!
Old 11-27-2001, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ladybug1116
Very cool It takes a lot of persistance to break into the professional music business and I wish you the best of luck. If I could I would be an in orchestra but those jobs are1 in a million. Maybe one day though....
We must have started playing at the same time as I'm 22 too
Remember how much ya sucked when ya started? It's amazing when i see beginners and i'm like whoa...i feel bad for my music teacher if he had to deal with me when i was like that! I don't even listen to music on the radio like a normal person anymore, i'm always breaking the song into sections by instruments. It is kind of awesome to see how it all fits together when layered, even pop music wows me when its done properly, even if most of it involves no technical musical ability whatsoever.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I play the piano...badly. LOL. I could have been much better (my instructors always said I had a good ear), but I was never able to discipline myself enough to play as well as I could have. I am determined that someday my children will be musically adept.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:13 PM
UMgirl

Piano, Flute and Clarinet when I was younger.... and if you asked me to play them now, id look like an idiot
Old 11-28-2001, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTSU01

I don't even listen to music on the radio like a normal person anymore, i'm always breaking the song into sections by instruments.

LOL That is so true! I can't study to any type of music (popular or classical) because I start analyzing it (out of habit) or singing along. I'm such a geek
Old 11-28-2001, 02:05 AM

I played the clarinet in elementary. I wish I had stayed with it. Perhaps someday I'll pick one up again. I remember my teacher was so neurotic about how to hold the instrument. I also remember how well dressed he always was and how he always wore cologne.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

PIANO - since I was 5. Actually managed to show some talent. If anyone knows what Solo & Ensemble festivals are, I have a little pile of "Superior" medals from District and State S & E festivals...plus one "Superior with Distinction" from State (played Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu) WOO!
Just play for fun now.

OBOE - from 6th grade, all thru middle school and high school, 1 year of college. Don't really pick it up anymore. Too much of a pain to get decent reeds and keep up with it.

PERCUSSION - for marching band in high school. Mainly because you just don't find pianos (good luck marching!) or oboes (reeds too delicate, will break) in marching bands. Mostly mallet percussion - marimbas, xylophones, and "toys" (all the various nosiemakers, what we called "stuff to hit"). My school had a percussion ensemble too. I could do that neat stuff where you hold 2 or 3 mallets in each hand and play.

And you guys are right, all this musical training TOTALLY affects how I listen to the radio. Overanalyzing things. Also means that mindless pop music - for example, Britney/Christina/whoever/boy band stuff - just drives me nuts.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:55 AM
Unregistered-

Talking

I've been playing the piano since I was 5 (I'm 22 now). When I was in the 6th and 11th grades I was fortunate enough to play with the Honolulu Symphony.

My mom also enrolled me in cello when I was in the 4th grade. For three years in high school I played in the Hawaii Youth Symphony Orchestra where I was first cello my senior year.

I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar though... and I've always admired those who were in band. I used to think band people were so cool...