GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Phi Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,540
0 members and 1,540 guests
No Members online

Old 04-02-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pattyp
Question Need help with

Hi Ladies...
I'm new to the forum (how is everyone?) and was looking for some help. I've been researching DphiE and know that this is something that I want. However, I'm having a bit of a problem.
I am very social but when there's nothing to talk about, I don't force conversation (especially in a house of 45 very loud girls). I think that this really hurt my chances at rush... the rush chair even said that "the girls felt that they didn't get to know you."
So, I ask you ladies, is there another way for me to shine? I was thinking of "shmoozing" with some of the girls in my class. So...?
Old 04-02-2006, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

....I'm just bumping this blurb that I wrote from an earlier DPhiE thread, as it contains a lot of the same information that I'd offer to you. Good Luck! I am glad you are passionate about our sorority!

Quote:
Go out on a limb... It might help if you try to get to know one or two of the women personally. Attending recruitment events and being offered a bid is an option you've tried, but perhaps you need to try something else. If this is really important to you, watch for a DPhiE in one of your classes or in another organization that you are both mutually a part of, then strike up a conversation and build from there. If you already know some of the women from the dorm, try to get to know them better.

Remember that attending a recruitment event is often like going for a job interview. Be who you are, but watch how you speak, make sure you have a positive outlook, get to know the women by asking questions about THEM, be conscientious of your attire, sell the very best side of yourself, and be someone who they would want to have in their group. Go to www.dphie.org to get to know what being a DPhiE is all about, too. You also need to check them out to make sure that you really want to be a part of their group. Don't compromise your values or your personality, but don't expect them to take a step back on their personality as a group either.

Being a DPhiE is a great thing, but in a recruitment situation, it only works if BOTH parties are bringing something to the table!

Good Luck! And, remember to be, rather than to seem to be!

Iris
Old 04-03-2006, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for the crash, but I'm just going to say that it's NEVER a good idea to associate your screen name with any GLO that you are not a part of.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pattyp
Thanks

Thank you for the advice ladies. I think that I will try to get to know some girls outside of rush and hopefully leave them with a good impression of who I am.

And just a response... I chose gottabeadphie because I just gotta be a dphie. But suggestion noted and I will change it.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by gottabeadphie
Thank you for the advice ladies. I think that I will try to get to know some girls outside of rush and hopefully leave them with a good impression of who I am.

And just a response... I chose gottabeadphie because I just gotta be a dphie. But suggestion noted and I will change it.
I think that this is the best advice, to get to know some of the girls. Also keep in mind that you should also check out other organizations. You don't want to get your hopes up too much on only DPhiE. And individual campus chapters often change from semester to semester, so you might find that if you go to rush in the fall, you are not a good fit with DPhiE anymore but like the girls in XYZ sorority better.