Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,410
2 members and 1,408 guests
glittergal1985

Old 01-19-2006, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

IFC/University Relations

Brothers,

I'd love to engage in discussion about interfraternity council or university relations. I'm an alumnus with some experience in both; always on the side of protecting Pi Kappa Alpha's rights. I know that many of our chapters suffer from injustices such as restrictive recruitment policies, lack of due process and oppressive relationship statements and expectations. Then again, I know that many of our chapters vote for these injustices in interfraternity council meetings. I'd like discussion from both sides, with the purpose of advancing our Great Fraternity.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Each IFC should be required to state whether they represent the interests of the constituent chapters, or, whether they represent the administration's interests against the chapters. Too many IFC officers suck up to the school.
The way to short-circuit that is to establish an alumni board composed or all fraternities' alumni, and that board should be represented by counsel. The mid-level administrators - all puffed up with their own self importance - would be told by counsel that in any matter concerning the system as a whole, they are to direct their comments ONLY to counsel. Too often, the administrators browbeat and intimidate undergraduates. It's a whole different story when Dean Wormer sits across from a forty-something lawyer who says, "You know, I didn't like you pricks when I was an undergraduate, and I'm here to make sure you don't violate the rights of these kids. Now, what was it you wanted to see me about?"
I've seen something along these lines done. Been in the room when it happened. Trust me, there's a whole different atmosphere when adult alumni step up with authority.

Last edited by Firehouse; 01-22-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Another alternative is to say that you've had enough and are establishing a new "independent" interfraternity conference of like-minded fraternities.

Not enough people are talking about it, but history is in the making at the University of Colorado. After the University made ridiculous demands, all fraternities on that campus - backed by their nationals and coordinated by the NIC - walked away.

If those chapters in Boulder can show the world that an independent interfraternity council can GROW its member chapters and "hang together", we are going to send a strong message.

(I wish Heller was here to comment on this one...)
Old 01-22-2006, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad to see another Heller man on board. "All wanted qualities follow size..."
Old 01-24-2006, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm on my interfraternity council, and I got a bid from a house that left the IFC. Lets just say that theres no way to leave an IFC without incurring staggering losses, and as an IFC officer, I honestly think its the best way to hold the whole system together.

(as long as little is enforced, and a lot is overlooked)