Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,172
2 members and 1,170 guests
amIblue?

Old 03-24-2005, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lambdachirho
Unhappy Help...im new to this

Hi...I don't really know where to begin....never done this before....

I am in a local sorority in NJ and the campus isn't very big on Greek life (its mostly a commuter school). And our sorority was having some problems a few years ago but since I join we are starting to rebuild....I became a sister in Fall 2003, we went from 2 sisters to 14, but we still need a lot of work, thats still really small....also frats dont want to mix with us because of our numbers....and other things...we want to be more reconized and we want girls to be intersted in joining us...they don't seem to be and frats dont have the right time of day for us

what can we do...its almost like starting from scratch....

thanks so much for your help
Old 03-25-2005, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I come from the smallest chapter on campus. Before my class joined, the previous classes had been 4, or 6 or something. Then we came and had 9, this year we recruited 8. Our numbers are growing. People still have this perception of "Oh, Tau Delta, they're small". And that's it. That's all they say about us. They forget to mention that we have the highest GPA (Fraternity or sorority), and even though we had only 16 actives before our most recent pledge class, we had just as many service hours and fufilled our Panhellenic duties (recruitment tables and visitation days). SO! that's the "bad" side.

The way out of the pidgeonhole? We emphasize our GPA, we emphasize the fact that we have never been on probation for any reason. We make doubly sure that we are at every single last roundtable and every single service option and every single event (sports, culture, whatever). We made a real push to wear letters every week en masse (unless you're like me and wear letters every day...). You've got to emphasize your positive aspects. Is your group culturaly diverse? Then hold a multicultural dance event with a local dance group. Are you kicking ass academically? Then offer tutoring sessions or study breaks during finals. Try to build interest in your organization through other organizations (Campus Crusade, choral groups, card club, whatever!). If you have events, set SPECIFIC goals like each sister brings 1 friend.

Don't ask the fraternities to do you any favors, they usually have their own agendas. Rely on your sisterhood to carry you through. Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

Buenas suerte.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is rude, but what kind of members are you talking about that is making fraternities not want to socialize with you?

---I want to post more, but I'm afraid I'll get flamed PM me
Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rio_Kohitsuji
I know this is rude, but what kind of members are you talking about that is making fraternities not want to socialize with you?

I don't think it has to do with the kind of members, rather that there are not as many compared to the other sororities. If there are more guys than girls it doesn't matter how awesome the girls are, the guys will be reluctant. No dude wants to attend a sausage fest.

Ask another sorority if they might be willing to do a double mixer with you.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

hey its not rude at all....its ok.....33girl is right it is because we are small, and at the same time we arent all drop dead gorgeous we are open to all women, no matter, their race, religion or weight....and we do have some bigger girls, but we also have girls that are gorgeous...

thanks for all the feedback and help i truly appriciate it

~*Court*~
Old 04-09-2005, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you considered mixing at another school sometimes or also cosponsoring an event with a non-Greek org?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

maybe do a mixer with your org, a fraternity and the womens volley ball team or something, that could help even out the #'s and possibly help make friends with some new girls you could recruit later.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm new at this site so i just wanted to say hi to everyone
Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I see

I really dont understand what fraternities out there would not give a buch of sorors the time of day unless they are all gay no offense. Ever guy including my self lived for the soror gurls u know, and then i forgot who the gurl was that mention u need to wear yo letters any given sunday let them hoes know who u are and what u come to do. Sometimes u have to be a bitch about something things just to get yo point across, and some gurls love to see chicks wit a little attitude including us boys..lol pick a day where it will be only the day your house wear yo letters and u sit at the front of hang out at the front of your campus hang out spot, and also sit at a table where u see just normal gurls just chillin make them feel special just like u were felt when u were rush it makes a difference, and think out side da box.... holla at cha boi aiight.. peace
Old 12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

in my sorority we only have 16 girls right now and we are losing two to transfer and graduation at the end of the semester and we hang out with frats all the time.... so numbers isnt necessarily an issue.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

What a lot of other posters have said is totally dead on. It's all about how you get your name out there. I was part of a local and not all fraternities on campus wanted to have a social with us. Some did have issues with our numbers (we were never bigger than 30 while I was active and some of our fraternities could push like 80 guys), others just had an issue with the fact that we were local. I thought it was crazy but whatever, to each their own. Go with the groups that want to socialize with you. We had socials with the rugby team and with NPHC fraternities. It helped get our name out there and helped us with some IFC groups. Eventually we could compile a decent social calender. We had some groups that loved hanging out with us and would book us as often as they could. Some would never give us the time of day and it didn't matter how cool other groups said about us. But it will take time. Just be patient and remember, you and your sisters are great no matter what some groups say! Just think of it as their loss! And even though socials are nice in the end, it's all about the sisterhood and the good works that you do!

Last edited by Jimmy Choo; 08-18-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
i know how you feel!

lambdachirho,
I can definately feel your pain- when i came into my sorority, there were 5 sisters- and i got involved and recruited 15 girls that semester- now we are up to 30 but its defiantely been a huge uphill battle- worth it- but HARD lol

I am the incoming President this semester and am revamping a lot of things to help change with the times...

please email me with more details regarding your situation and i'll do what i can to give you ideas and stuff
my sn is alethiasi and my email is the same name but @yahoo.com.... i hope to hear from you!

~maggie
Old 12-18-2005, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks everyone for all your ideas...it is slowly getting better...now it seems like none of the girls want to do things...ahh...lol
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Can understand exactly where You are coming from having started a Local on My Campus. None of the Sororitys wanted to deal with us, We were a Local.
Within the the school year, We affiliated with LXA but were still the smallest on Campus. Still had a hard time, but finally ADPi did some run-outs with us. They werent the best Soroity on Campus, but to us, they were the best. Sadly, they are no longer there!

Are al GLOs Locals?

How big are the Fraternitys?

Are there Nationals there?

Commutor schools, is a term that I dont really like as there are people who are there, and those that are Townies just like anyother College. We had Townies who lived in the House which was kind of neat.

Can You fill in some demographics for us? It would help us to help You!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-20-2005, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I see

Quote:
Originally posted by D.0.7
I really dont understand what fraternities out there would not give a buch of sorors the time of day unless they are all gay no offense. Ever guy including my self lived for the soror gurls u know, and then i forgot who the gurl was that mention u need to wear yo letters any given sunday let them hoes know who u are and what u come to do. Sometimes u have to be a bitch about something things just to get yo point across, and some gurls love to see chicks wit a little attitude including us boys..lol pick a day where it will be only the day your house wear yo letters and u sit at the front of hang out at the front of your campus hang out spot, and also sit at a table where u see just normal gurls just chillin make them feel special just like u were felt when u were rush it makes a difference, and think out side da box.... holla at cha boi aiight.. peace
First of all, learn to type then on the occaision you have something intelligent to say it might get across.
Most good fraternities mix with an already established group of sororities this does not make them gay, just selective and loyal (we have reputations to uphold) If you want to make your way into this eschelon you have to do something big and social. One sorority at our school that was really small started an event called campus golf, where people register foursomes (fraternities sponsor several each) then the girls set up 'holes' at random places throughout campus. The girls buy or get donations of beat-up old golf clubs and used tennis balls. On the day of the event, everybody shows up pretty ripped and whacks the tennis balls around campus. This event alone not only raised tons of money for a good cause, but it became a status thing to be the fraternity that mixed with the sorority afterwards and it became a huge recruitment tool.