GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,141
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,142
1 members and 1,141 guests
horsearcher

Old 12-19-2005, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

rerushing

Hey guys! I'm a sophomore at UCLA and I depledged during fall because there was a possibility that I might be transferring schools due to personal reasons. I never really felt at home with the sorority I depledged... and TRUST ME I did try hard to fit in and went to all the events. I'm hoping to rush again next year, but I don't know if it would be better to formal rush or COB my junior year. I don't really know how competitive rush is here.

I have an idea of the houses I am interested in pledging and was wondering if I should try formal recruitment again or COB (I know a few girls in the sorority's I am interested in, but not well). Is

COB basically meant for girls who know alot of the girls in the house already?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

There are several threads in this forum about rerushing at UCLA, where there was extensive discussion, so I would suggest you read through them
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

hey kddani, i saw 2 on rushing at UCLA, but i wasnt sure about rerushing... i tried the search option too... but thanks for letting me know

I'm just not sure if COB is the way to go, or formal... especially after depledging and being a junior.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by falloutgirl
hey kddani, i saw 2 on rushing at UCLA, but i wasnt sure about rerushing... i tried the search option too... but thanks for letting me know

I'm just not sure if COB is the way to go, or formal... especially after depledging and being a junior.
I could've been mistaken... the rerushing threads may have been USC.

Someone with UCLA experience will probably be around to give you advice. But rushing anywhere in the country as a junior and someone who had depledged a group is tough, let alone at UCLA. No matter if you go COB or formal. I'd personally say you'd have a better chance of getting a bid through COB than you would formal. Unless UCLA has a separate junior quota for formal rush, which I don't know. I'm a PA girl who's never even been to Cali, so I'm only saying this from my experiences here on GC.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

In my past experience as a UCLA adviser, juniors did great in COR and we picked up some wonderful juniors during formal. It really just depends on you, the chapter and your mutual needs and goals. It is an unspoken rule that underclassmen are shown preference at schools with a very competitive recruitment.

Since you can't COR this year (your bid is binding for one full calendar year), go ahead and take the rest of this year getting involved on campus. You'll meet sorority women in class and in campus activities. Do well in your studies and make a postitive name for yourself on campus.

Register for formal recruitment next fall, and see how you do. If you don't sign a bid card after that formal recruitment, you will be eligible for COR and can check that out.

Formal recruitment and COR are for anyone who is interested. You don't have to know anyone. The Office ofGreek Life will have the best and most recent information and dates, as well as objective advice. COR is going to be more relaxed and casual than formal-- women who don't bid after formal may come back to COR, or ladies who are just interested in sorority membership who missed formal will come out-- it's really for all.

Sorority membership is just one way to be involved at UCLA! There are some wonderful service and activitity groups, including some fabulous co-ed GLO's dedicated to pre-professional development and community. Check them out and best of luck to you!

Remember also to maintain a postitive reputation. You want to be known as that awesome girl who is PR chair for the Pre-Med Society, not a drunk fraternity groupie who hooks up and passes out at every party! As an upperclassmen, your reputation can precede you at recruitment-- another good reason to make friends with sorority women who can talk you up to their sisters.

ETA: UCLA no longer has a junior quota.

Last edited by adpiucf; 12-20-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you guys for the great advice!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

UCLA no longer has a junior quota, we have not for the past two recruitments. Juniors do fairly well in recruitment, but it depends upon the individual and their relationships with women in the chapters (if they've been there since freshman year). Juniors also do well in COB, but like adpiucf explained, you are bound to the house you pledged in fall until next fall, so COB is not an option for you right now.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

is COB meant for girls that already know girls in the house? (I read somewhere on other posts that you have to be invited to COB)
Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends upon the chapter. Some chapters hold open COB events as preliminary rounds and advertise in the Bruin. Others selectively invite women they know.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bruinaphi
UCLA no longer has a junior quota, we have not for the past two recruitments.
Thanks, bruinaphi! It's been awhile since I advised there!! I'll edit my original post.