Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 807
0 members and 807 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2005, 12:40 AM
ztawinthropgirl

The Exorcist Interview

I think my head spins around and I vomit on interviewers. I have sent out like 400 or 500 resumes in the past 2 years for a job and have been on 8 interviews. I work at Target at a futureless, no respect job which I hate. I think I am going CRAZY!

Sorry, I had to vent because I went on my eighth interview, and the bank I interviewed at, of course, didn't hire me. They called me about a few hours later saying they were hiring someone else. They also asked if it was okay if they kept my resume on file for the possible opening of a permanent part-time teller position (they just have to get it approved by their district boss to open the position). I sent out 3 resumes today and am going to send out some more tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:09 AM

At least the bank called you. Most employers these days won't bother. You do a phone interview or even an on-site interview, and then you never hear from them again...

I get interview jitters too. It's a form of stage fright. When I mentioned my jitters to someone, he suggested that I join Toastmasters. You might want to look into that.

Keep at it. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

If you're sending out resumes cold in the same area over a long period of time, then you either need to relocate or change the way you're submitting your information--- try networking in additional to cold-submitting of your resume to job listings. It helps to have an "in" -- so the more people you know in your industry, the hotter your name will sound-- landing you more interviews (and hypothetically, the more interviews, the greater your chance of being extended an offer).

I recommend Ron Fry's 101 Best Interview Questions. Read it, study it, love it. Great book and has helped me and my friends a lot over the years! Also, assess your interviewing attire and make-up. You might also want to fork over some dollars to go to a career counselor. Also, have you tried listing yourself with a recruiter?

Also, talk to people in the field that you want to break into. Some of this will involve cold calling or mailing and seeing if they'll meet you for coffee. People love to talk about their life stories--they will be flattered you've sought them out. Bring a copy of your resume so they can advise you and help you. These will also be good people to check in with quarterly who will keep their ear to the ground for you regarding job opps and putting in a good word for you.

Join a professional assoc and go to their functions. Collect business cards and follow up with a call or email to go to coffee. Start your network. Make sure these folks have your resume.

Do these things to build your name and work on your interview skills, and you will see stronger results when you send out your resume.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

It could also be that your resume isn't effective. Does it need a facelift?

At our Convention this summer they had a presenter/owner of JobBound (www.jobbound.com) come do a program for all convention attendees. It was excellent! Everything he said was shockingly accurate and everyone learned from that program, whether they were collegiates or the 50 year old alumnae who was sitting next to me. Look into it.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:02 PM
ztawinthropgirl

Thanks for your advice!

As for my resume, I always include the cover letter which I try to find the actual person to send it to instead of just "Dear Human Resources". It is also specific to the company and position to which I am applying.

The actual resume includes an objective, educational background, related coursework, related extracurricular activities, professional references and related work experience. I work each resume and cover letter to the specific company and position for which I am applying. I don't include every extracurricular or work experience I ever did rather what applies to that position and company.

My resume isn't padded nor is it this extravagent (sp?) piece of artwork. It's neat, simple, and to the point. I figure most HR people don't have a lot of time to look through something so extravagent and padded. They would probably throw something away that is way over the top.

I have gone to several staffing agencies, none of which did their jobs. I am unable to relocate due to my night classes. My parents suggested I just quit Target in February and they just pay for my schooling, etc. I guess they're tired of me calling and complaining about Target and not finding a decent job after 2 years. Why February? This would make it a year at Target and I believe that it would look good on a resume I lasted a year at Target.

Last edited by ztawinthropgirl; 09-28-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Take out your objective and references. If they want references, this will come later in the hiring process. Your objective should be covered in a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to the specific open position and the hiring manager.

Resume and letter should be no longer than one page each.

Paraphrase their job description in the tailored cover letter and why you are suited to it, express your genuine interest and provide contact info.

What kind of job are you looking for? Are you an undergrad student? Grad student?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I read "What Color is Your Parachute" and I recommend it. One of the things it suggests is to actually go in person to a company that you want to work for. I don't remember who it said to talk to, but I know it mentioned that seeing your face and handing your resume to someone in person will help your chances.

Anyway, you might want to read through that book a little bit. It could give you some networking ideas, as well as ways to spruce up your resume.

I looked for a "real" job for a year-and-a-half, and went on more than 20 interviews. I can't even begin to estimate how many resumes I sent out and never heard anything. In the end, I found my job through a friend. My point is that networking really is probably the most effective job hunting tactic.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

There's this book called "Jobs That Don't Suck" that I read and found to be very informative. It talks a lot about how exactly to find the job you want and how to make effective (and interesting!) resumes.

Last edited by copacabana; 10-04-2005 at 03:40 PM.