Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,010
1 members and 1,009 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OXofallthemenOX
Rush Issue

I have a bit of a rush dilemma. We have a incoming freshman who has hung around the house for a while and most of the actives have gotten to know him. Unfortunetly the more we've gotten to know him the less we've liked him. Would it be better to level with him about perhaps looking into other chapters on campus, or could this actually harm us in rush? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThetaChiGuy
do the right thing

My roomate was a legacy of another chapter, and "suicide" rushed ALL freshman year including both semester's dry rush weeks (the "official" rushing at my school, even though its not "formal"). (At my school freshman can't pledge first semester). Second semester I rushed, got a bid, and am now a brother, but he did not. I am aware now that they never had any intention of giving him a bid, but it is a catch 22. Sure, it would have been "nice" to let him know so he could have perhaps rushed a place where he would fit in better. On the other hand, however, that might make someone mad and having people shittalking to other perspective rushes is no good. So really, it is a tough issue. This kid thats rushing isn't even in college yet, right?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Rush Issue

Thanks man, I appreciate it
Old 09-16-2005, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, a rushee who really wants in...

This is always a problem. If there is a guy who you know really wants a bid to pledge, yet you know there are people who have really taken a dislike to him. It is a tough one. On the one hand, a guy who really applies himself in spite of a challenge can really become an asset to the house. On the other hand, he can become divisive through no real fault of his own. This is always best taken on a case-by-case basis; but if guys have already gotten to know him (i.e. they have known him form more than just a few weeks or a few months) and still can't find his positive points - or if the attitude of the bros is not to cut him some "fair" slack, then you really should let him know that he might find more acceptance with another house on campus.

If this is what you guys decide, you should definitely do this with the utmost tact and sensitivity. Put yourself in his place and realize that he probably wants to pledge Theta Chi as much as you did. Sometimes this is hard to do, but one of the hardest but most valuable people skills is empathy (wearing his shoes).

In the end, it may come down to a couple of brothers who may really see his potential and champion him. This is usually done with pledges who have problems - not so much with rushees. But in either case, he is a man who is entitled to be evaluated on his relative merits.

Good luck with your house and your pledge class !

- Rick
Old 09-19-2005, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

We got 21 kids and each one of them is a stud, thanks for helping me work out that rush issue guys. (Thanks from our exec. board specifially.)