Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 912
0 members and 912 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2005, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

My brother sent me this....

My brother sent me this email and I wanted to share it with y'all...

Don't know whether you heard about this but Denzel Washington and his family visited the troops at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio,Texas (BAMC) the other day. This is where soldiers that have been evacuated from Germany come to be hospitalized in the States, especially burn victims. They have buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a hotel where soldiers' families can stay, for little or no charge, while their soldier is staying in the hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base but as you can imagine, they are almost completely filled most of the time.

While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher Houses. He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He took his check book out and wrote a check for the full amount right there on the spot. The soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story and want to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts to hear it.

The question I have is why does Alec Baldwin, Madonna, Sean Penn and other Hollywood types make front page news with their anti-everything America crap and this doesn't even make page 3 in the Metro section of any newspaper except the base newspaper in San Antonio.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-19-2005, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

The Fisher House is just like the Ronal McDonald House, only for military hospitals. I mean JUST like it! Near to the hospital, rooms for the loved ones, communal meals, providing a home away from home. It's a great thing to have. I've been supporting our two Fisher Houses here at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center these past few years as a substitute for my ADPi RMH service, since a) I work at the hospital, b) they are right here and c) there is no local RMH!
Old 08-19-2005, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I received this awhile back as well. Isn't it wonderful to see celebrities put their money into something worthwhile, versus the clothes, hair, fitness gurus, etc. Hats off to the D. Washington family!!! (And poo to the media, who could care less.)
Old 08-19-2005, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBelleADPi
I received this awhile back as well. Isn't it wonderful to see celebrities put their money into something worthwhile, versus the clothes, hair, fitness gurus, etc. Hats off to the D. Washington family!!! (And poo to the media, who could care less.)
Co-sign co-sign co-sign!!!! I got this too, and it made me proud. Way to go Denzel!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
ASU - thanks for posting this; made me cry.

I support our men/women overseas although I strongly want them all pulled back home. I don't support this war, but support our soldiers.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what I find so annoying...

The other day on the news these moms, dads, anyone were protesting the war in Iraq. On the other side of the street were the pro-war activists. Well some vetern decides to say (and why the news aired his comments I will never know) that b/c these people are protesting the war that they are anti-military and AREN'T AMERICANS!!!!

WTF!!!!!!

I am very much an American!

I am also very much pro-military. My grandfather served as a medic in WW2. My other grandfather was a pilot in Korea. My great uncle died in WW2 (he was a pilot). My dad enlisted and was sent to Turkey during Vietnam (he was drafted but being the only son would have never seen combat). My uncle was in the air force. My cousin, Kevin, was in the Navy. My cousin, Craig, is in Germany in the Army as an air traffic controller and last but not least my brother, Erik, is in Kuwait.

My brother doesn't want to be there. I seriously doubt any of them really want to be there.

So what about my brother? He's anti-war, pro-military, in the military, according to that man he wouldn't be "American".

Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. I hate when people make comments like that. I am sure there is something America has done in the past that this particular man didn't agree with...so would that mean he's not an American either??

I have an uncle stationed in Japan with the Air Force and a cousin who is being deployed to Iraq in October. I don't agree with the war, but I most definitely support my uncle, my cousin, and all those in military service. And I will be a proud American until I die, no matter what someone says.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
snopes.com

I searched my favorite urban legend website, snopes.com, and found that this story is not entirely true. While Denzel did visit BAMC, and later made a "sizeable" donation, he did not whip-out his checkbook on the spot. Here, read for yourself: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp
Old 08-20-2005, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

As I said in an email...

to me it doesn't matter if he didn't "whip out his checkbook", what matters is exactly what the article said. How come when an actor does something truly generous to support the military nothing happens? But when other actors start bitching about the war, president or the military it makes the front page? What's that about?

As much as actors hate to admit it, they have a lot of power. they should use the power they have positively