Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,489
0 members and 1,489 guests
No Members online

Old 07-14-2005, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Discouraged

Last edited by DZGirl; 04-28-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you planning on taking the CPA exam or making a career in strickly the accounting field? Asking before I can really offer some advice.

I graduated from undegrad in '97 and didn't start grad school until 2002. I really do feel that having real life work experienced helped me GREATLY because in my MBA program, we were covering topics that I had actually worked with in real life - it wasn't just a "theory" so to speak.

I worked in my field full-time and went to grad school and it WAS HARD. I basically had no life (lol). I did feel that having a MBA (and from a good school too) did help me - I got a new job with a plus 10K salary increase (and I wasn't doing bad in my current role either) in the field that I wanted with the responsibilities that I wanted too.

If you current company is offering a tution reimbursement program, I'd seriously consider it.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 07-14-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Could you find out if those accounting classes could be taken a different school? So many business courses are offered in evening, weekend, online, and other non traditional settings that it seems like you could get those courses in somewhere else and then start grad school. Or, look into other grad schools?

Dee
Old 07-15-2005, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I can totally understand your frustration because it took me two years to find a grad program that worked for me! I didn't know what I wanted to do when I was an undergrad either, so I got a BS in fashion merchandising...and then realized I hated working retail and I couldn't imagine wasting my life trying to work my way up to manager. What I really wanted to do was teach but I didn't exactly have the credentials (hello, a fashion merchandising degree!) to qualify for a teacher ed program, so I was really discouraged. I tried one school and actually enrolled, but dropped right before classes started when they told me that it was going to take me about 5 years to get through and even then I might not end up with a degree. Finally, after doing a lot of searching on the internet, I found the program I'm in now--it's an alternative certification program, and I don't have to get another bachelor's. My advice to you would be to just keep looking, and research every college that might have the slightest chance of offering what you want. The school I'm going to now is one I never, ever would've considered if someone hadn't suggested it to me (because it has a reputation as a party school), so don't discount a school just because you don't think it would work for you.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CSUSigEp
are you married? if not, get married and then make your husband work so you can go to school.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Try Distance Learning classes!

I know that there are many well known accredited colleges and Universities that have excellent Distance Learning programs. I engourage you to give this a look-see. And just to clarify, distance learning programs are not "diploma-mills" as some may think. Distance Leaning programs are quite common now and growing in popularity.

Last edited by Discotish; 07-16-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I know you said there were some other universities where the classes transferred, but what about community college? I don't know but they seem to be a lot more convenient with times.

Just to answer your last questions, I went straight from undergrad to grad for one specific reason. A BA in Communications was not going to get me into marketing. So entered a program for Integrated Marketing Communication. I also chose the program b/c it was more professional/project based and I will not be doing a thesis and instead have a team marketing project for a real client. (Our last class is actually similar to The Apprentice).

As for opening doors, it's fair to say that for a lot of stuff a Master's is a definite plus. I know for me and where I want to work I'm going to be making at least 10K more with that extra piece of paper.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
Re: Try Distance Learning classes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Discotish
I know that there are many well known accredited colleges and Universities that have excellent Distance Learning programs. I engourage you to give this a look-see. And just to clarify, distance learning programs are not "diploma-mills" as some may think. Distance Leaning programs are quite common now and growing in popularity.
Beat me to it! Many universities are beginning to offer Distance Learning classes for higher-level degrees because of situations where one is unable to drop work and go back to school. I know Auburn offers a Distance Learning MAc program and many others do as well. You'd probably have to ask about the 4 extra units, but I'm sure most places would be willing to work something out since it's not like you'd be going back to get your Bachelor's in Accounting.