GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,464
4 members and 1,460 guests
Cookiez17, Happy Alum, JayhawkAOII, John

Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Tau Delta Sued in Maryland Death

I am sad to report that my Fraternity, Delta Tau Delta, has been named in a lawsuit resulting from the death of a student at the University of Maryland.

Here is a link to the story:

http://media.www.diamondbackonline.c...-2879067.shtml

This suit seems to be a real stretch to me. From a reading of the story, it appears that this family is filing against everyone on the East Coast with little actual grounds (my opinion only), it should serve as a warning to other groups about their potential exposure to liability.

Even though the university investigation cleared the Fraternity, a judge or jury could easily disagree.

I believe in the Fraternity and its principles, but as I have said many times, none of us is immune to this type of problem, and it only takes one allegedly bad decision to cause serious problems.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 04-26-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Wow.. the injury wasn't even really directly alcohol related.

I would think that arson doesn't usually flow from even a negligently thrown party. Yeah, I hope the plaintiff gets hit with all sorts of sanctions (which in federal court are used to discourage frivolous filings) if they don't drop Delta Tau Delta off of this suit... or maybe I'm not reading something right and there is some sort of connection.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma