GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,508
0 members and 1,508 guests
No Members online

Old 11-14-2000, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Do you think younger members or Neosshould respect older members

Do you think younger members respect the members before them? Do you think Neos should still be humble to their prophytes or older members.
Old 11-14-2000, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

All members should respect each other--thats what brothers and sisters do. Your question appears to have a condesending tone to it which is not appropriate.

However, as a matter of courtsey the opinions of older members usually carry greater influence because of the added experience and maturity of the senior member.

------------------
"It's a long long road, it's a big big world, we are wise wise women, we are giggling girls." ~Ani DiFranco~
Old 11-14-2000, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Soror:

Yes, I do. I do not believe that younger Sorors should allow themselves to be disrespected by older Sorors in the name of humility. However, I am a proponent of treating those who have come before you and paved the way for you with the utmost respect.

I always try and respect my elders (as it pertains to elders in general). Older Sorors, even if they came only a couple of years before me, get respect as well.

I will say that I do also expect the same of Neos that have come after me. Since I treat them with respect, it tends to be reciprocated.

Good question.

Trish, I am interested in knowing (please help me to understand) what part of Soror Reds695's question sounded condescending? Thanks

[This message has been edited by DELTABRAT (edited November 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by DELTABRAT (edited November 14, 2000).]
Old 11-14-2000, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

That is common courtesy and respect. They came before you and have been doing the work and upholding the light of your organization before you were an aspirant. You especcially respect those people that made you.
Old 11-14-2000, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I read my soror's question in the context that she sees a lack of respect by neos/younger memmbers towards prophytes/older members. (Soror Reds695 correct me if I am wrong!)

I see a lack of respect in general, not just among Greeks. This younger generation is much more "grown" than my generation (I'm a child of the Eighties). Some of the things they twist their mouths to say would have landed us on the floor.

Just as in your natural family, you not disrepect your grandmother, you should apply the same courtesy to your Greek family. Elders are the keepers of the tradition and have paved the way so that we may partake. In my humble opinion, a lack of respect for your elders shows a lack of respect for yourself. If you allow someone with this type of mentality into your organization, then you are at fault.

just my "2" cents from an oldhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Trish:
All members should respect each other--thats what brothers and sisters do. Your question appears to have a condesending tone to it which is not appropriate.

However, as a matter of courtsey the opinions of older members usually carry greater influence because of the added experience and maturity of the senior member.

------------------
mccoyred

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate

Real Women Dream of Wearing Crimson and Creme
Old 11-14-2000, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I do believe respect is a two-way street. BUT, the older members should receive certain courtesy's. Our National Visitor was here during rush last year, and she had to go into another sorority's room during break to speak with their advisor, they all stood up for her. They sat down when they realized she wasn't one of their alums, but still! That is how it should be out of respect for the alums. I respected the older sisters/alums when I was in college, but now it seems most of them really don't care unless they feel like they aren't being respected! Guess I sound like my grandfather and his "kids today...." speech

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 11-14-2000, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the "new members" of an organization should respect the older members, but only is that respect is returned. If the new guys are constantly getting shit on then they will have no respect for the older people. But if they can see what it really means to the older people they should respect them if nothing else for what they don't know yet. I think respect is the key for a flourshing establishment.
Old 11-14-2000, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTABRAT:
Hey Soror:

Yes, I do. I do not believe that younger Sorors should allow themselves to be disrespected by older Sorors in the name of humility. However, I am a proponent of treating those who have come before you and paved the way for you with the utmost respect.

I always try and respect my elders (as it pertains to elders in general). Older Sorors, even if they came only a couple of years before me, get respect as well.

I will say that I do also expect the same of Neos that have come after me. Since I treat them with respect, it tends to be reciprocated.

I AGREE 1908%
Old 11-14-2000, 08:07 PM

Cool

Should the newer members respect the older members and alums, as in treating them politely and graciously? Yes, of course.

Should the newer members kiss the older members' and alums' butts if the o.m.s and alums never do anything for the org? H-E-double toothpicks NO!!!

The best way to foster mutual respect? Try to forget who pledged when and get to know each other on a one-to-one level as people.
Old 11-14-2000, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

On a similar note how do you feel about age differences? As in, I was 21 when I pledged and athough I understood that the girls ahead of me deserved some respect for already being members...I just couldn't take some of the girls seriously knowing that they we're still freshman, and comparitively no very little about living life away from "mommy and daddy". They didn't understand having a fulltime job, bills (other then their credit cards), and they wanted respect from me?! I had a hard time taking the younger members seriously, while the older members and I got along amazingly. Was this wrong?
Please don't misunderstand I love my sorority and ALL of my sisters, I am especially refering to activites where I was "ordered" to do something.

[This message has been edited by NewInFL (edited November 14, 2000).]
Old 11-15-2000, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

One must earn respect--one must not feel she is entitled to a certain amount of respect just because she was initiated before you were. I'm not speaking of National visitors, because based on their stature, it shows that they are indeed respectable women. There are women, other Alpha Chis, that have done nothing to gain my respect, even though they may be older. I think this sense of entitlement regarding respect is what fuels many of the most severe hazing cases.
Old 11-16-2000, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Deltabrat for your comment, You always have my back Soror.

Trish,
I would like to know how was I condesending when I didn't even offer an opinion. Or do you just not know the definition of the word?
Old 11-16-2000, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reds695:
Do you think younger members respect the members before them? Do you think Neos should still be humble to their prophytes or older members.
Yes.

------------------
Alpha Kappa Alpha
17-Alpha Phi-91
Old 11-16-2000, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Most definately.
Old 11-17-2000, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I have read this thread with some interest. In my frat it is a resounding YESSSSSSS!!!!
That pretty much goes without saying especially in BGLOs. You are taught to be humble and always respect those who came before you, and have paved the the path for you.

My accomplishments are due to my hard work, as well as the works of those who have come before me. To think anything other than that is to fool myself.

Their might be times when an older member might get on my last nerve, but out of deference, I will listen to what the brother has to say.

If you give yourself a chance, you can learn a lot about your org, as well as life by talking with these individauls. Yeah they get a kick out the respect that is given them, and in some cases it is an ego thing, but heah in most cases they deserve it, and I expect the same respect from members who have come under me.

Peace

MN