GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,338
1 members and 1,337 guests
KDKells

Old 11-15-2004, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PinkSigma3
Philanthropy

What does your chapter do as a philanthropy event at your college?
I know how DG's have Anchor Splash...our AGD's do Mr. IUP... what do you do?!

Our sorority has had trouble the past few years doing a successful event and this year I want to help out and find something awesome to get started into a yearly thing!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter had the same problem coming up with ideas for Robbie Page. They were either just too elaborate or just not very well planned. This fall, we scrapped everything and did a bowling tournament. It went GREAT. It's been our most successful philanthropy event ever.

All you really need is an available alley in your area that's willing to let you use up most of it's lanes for the day. You can solicit local businesses for prizes for the top 3 teams. Our grand prize was a sub sandwich party from a local food place.

Also, make sure you get the word out to EVERY chapter and give them enough time to get their entry fee turned in and a team together.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlondeGurl
When I was at SHSU we did PENNY WARS !! It went well.
Every Spring we set up a table in the square (where everyone hangs out between classes) with all the fraternities names on a bucket. Any silver change or dollars earned your fraternity points, but any pennys in your fraternity's jar would lose your franternity points. The fraternities really got into it because the winner would get a plaque that named them Tri-Sigma's fraternity of the year award. It is good for their RUSH.

Our sorority also threw aroudn a few other ideas that I think would have been really good, but as always you need really dedicated sisters to pull anything off really well. One of the ideas we had (but never did because it was voted down) was a Big Man On Campus calendar. My pledge class came up with this idea and it could really work if you have a really dedicated member in charge of it. PM me if you want more info. Also check out the fundraising forum for some more ideas.

SLAM
Old 11-16-2004, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think Penny Wars is a fab idea if your campus doesn't do it! Our campus does it for a campus wide philanthorpy that is picked each year and it is done by class.

We actually DID a calander!!! We set it up like the penny wars..and whoever had the most money was in the calander..(all money went to RPM). It was pretty successful. The pictures were hilarious! We had all types of guys, athletes, frat guys, funny guys..anyone which was cool. It worked out alright on our campus, although I think at a big campus it might be even more successful! (They also made great gifts) Personally, March was a favorite...I think for about 6 months all it was was March!

We do a rose sale before family day every year. We get a great deal on roses from a local store and sell a rose for a dollar. We make anywhere from 300-500 which is great.
We also borrow from Penn State when they are out for THON and stand on the road and collect change.
Its hard on our campus to fundraise for some reason...one frat tried doing bedtime stories and it never took off. Another non-greek group does MR. Ursinus..so trying to do a Mr. Sigma pagent wouldn't work either..boo..Others make t-shirts and sell them..but if you get ever group selling something it gets to the point where no one will buy..so creativity is key at UC!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EPTriSigma
We do an annual campus-wide basketball tourney.