Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 976
1 members and 975 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-17-2004, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

"Corporate-ology" or Brotherhood?

Hotep Brothers. It comes as no surprise when one who knows of the history, potential, strength, and power of the Blackman more especially when coupled with brotherhood that ALPHA PHI ALPHA FRATERNITY, INC. along with other facets of BLACK FRATERNALISM is indeed great. The Jewels obviously recognized this. There is so much ample talent from various backgrounds of ALPHADOM. Which is more important? There are brothers who are the embodiment of "corporate life" and there are brothers who are from different spectrums. Have you observed the fraternity moving more toward the "corporate" mindset? What is your opinion/view? By far am I to imply that the "BUSINESS OF ALPHA" is to be taken slightly, but a number of brothers truly believe there needs to be less reliance on "MICROnizing" Alpha Brotherhood. One of the most important parts of our conventions is seemingly forgotten and has been diminished to nearly null and void. RITUAL WORKSHOPS are a must for our conventions! Whereas there are brothers who enjoy the March of Dimes, and other workshops/presentations I truly PLEAD to the brotherhood that the RITUAL be given just as much (actually more) credence and time than "wealth building" workshops. I respect my fellow Kellogg, Harvard, and Wharton School of Business Brothers and the "agenda/decision" makers who schedule various topics and workshops at conventions for surely they are to be given their "props" for their splendid credentials. I am just a humble servant who works in a different career endeavor, but I am an ALPHA TOO! Brothers, what is your take/viewpoint about OUR brotherhood? Have you noticed a significant change or emphasis on the BROTHERHOOD becoming too dependent on the "Corporate" way of life? The "European" corporate way of life insofar as principles differs greatly from the "AFRIKAN" way of life. The Jewels were a derivative of such. Agree/Disagree? Can ALPHA BROTHERHOOD be replaced by CORPORATEHOOD? I hope not! Brothers, can we reconnect to our various communities more especially the inner-cities throughout this racist country and combat "Psychoamnesia" and self-hate? What do you think The Jewels would say were they to witness the dilemna of our present day fate insofar a BLACK PEOPLE? The dilemna is best reflective of a BROTHERHOOD & OTHERHOOD. Can both function together over the course of the next 100 years? What will be the impact of ALPHA? Will ALPHA be transformed into a defunct operative/speculative organization that "GRANTS and GIVES" membership to individuals who wake up when they so choose and decide, "well I have my MBA, six-figure income, well paid-for house, and though I do not really get into that Black militant stuff, I guess I might join Alpha. Afterall, I don't have anything else to do and I am bored. I wasn't down with fraternities when I was in college. I want people to know I am a superKKKnegro. I am not worried about dealing with anyone who is not like me, because as long as I pay some chump change to be given a membership card and buy my life membership I am not going to get involved with college brothers and other brothers. As long as I "got mine" is what matters the most to me." Brothers, a HOUSE DIVIDED surely shall FALL! Do you believe there to be division in the house? What can be done? What shall be done? When, where, how? Ptah-Hotep.

Last edited by PHAShriner/1906; 09-17-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

You have a lot to say Brother! But in terms of ritual in Detroit there were workshops on the ritual that were PACKED and here in the Eastern Region we always have a workshop ritual at the regional convention. I think Brothers understand the issue of training in Alpha not only the business of Alpha but the brotherhood. However you see it though there has been an movement towards more business and I do not think this is an Alpha Phi Alpha issue it is a Greek Lettered issue. In the movement to survive various things we have emphised more the business. Is that right? Only time will tell.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Brother, although I don't have any answers for you (actually, I do, but they are too "out there" for public consumption) I just want to say that I agree with the spirit of your message.

I know, I can't believe it myself, but I agree.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

re: Bros. Sphinxpoet & Senusret I responses.

Hotep Brothers. Bro. Sphinxpoet, you know darn well Alpha's tend to be a bit long-winded (just ask anyone who attended the Constitutional Convention in Philly and witnessed Brothers long verbal attention-seeking display). Bro. Senusret, I just might go and obtain a bean pie and rejoice for YOU have found a measure of agreement in my post? In either case my good brothers the insight you two have provided has been very interesting. Black fraternalism MUST be cherished and protected. I just hope, trust, and pray that BROTHERHOOD amongst the BLACKMAN does not suffer!

Last edited by sphinxpoet; 09-17-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Yes Brother I was there and heard my Brothers ability to speak at length on any issue!!!!!! Seeing the length of your posts I am sure you can Bros a run for their money *joking*
Old 09-20-2004, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL - - - The idea that Alphamen have the gift of talk is nothing new . . . the best trait is to be able to remain attentive as debate goes round and round.

I agree with you Bro. PHAShriner/1906. Many of the rituals held true to Alpha are no longer passed to brothers. I recall a post someone made regarding the sweetheart song and other rituals that are no longer passed along. I also recall at a frat meeting that some Brothers were not taught the proper way to gain entrance beyond the door (I hope you know what I mean). Needless to say, there is much work to be done. I will be the first to say that I don't recall 3/4 of the info. I learned. It certainly would help to have a refresher much like the in-service trainings I provide to staff.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Professor's viewpoint

Hotep Brothers. Bro. Professor, I agree! I am going to step back from the mic, but I suggest you be careful of stating "3/4" of anything because, rumor has it that the very first words us ALPHAMEN say when we learn to talk as babies is: "three-fourth, division in the house, Bro. I have the floor, etc." Ptah-Hotep.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Keen Eye, Bruh!

I agree. We as a frat need to rebalance our priorities. It is true: when we get together, the majority of our time is spent on business matters. I acknowledge the fact that we have pressing issues to address, but we must remember our foundation, and do all we can to foster Brotherly Love.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Kudos for Original Ape

Hotep Brothers. Original Ape, you are on point! I am going to keep my response of agreement short to the minimum. You viewpoint says it all. Great response! Ptah Hotep. Long live the Gorrilla!
Old 09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, we need to address the lack luster of chapters to provide activities that address our national programs. I know many chapters that do nothing - - - I hate to say it, my chapter wins chapter of the year frequently for NC but we do very little in the community. Often, winning a title is based upon how you market yourself and my chapter does a great job marketing itself.