GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,358
2 members and 1,356 guests
andthen, JayhawkAOII

Old 01-30-2004, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Big Brothers Big Sisters

Has anyone here ever done Big Brothers, Big Sisters....I'm debating on signing up because it sounds like fun, but what are the stipulations? Is it pretty much like being a voulenteer baby-sitter or what?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Big Brothers/Sisters is a serious time commitment. It's not like being a baby sitter at all.

I haven't done it myself, but I looked into briefly but i just didn't have the time it took to do it.

You're supposed to spend a required # of hours with your child every week, and they ask you to make a minimum commitment of 6 months.

They also do drug tests and serious background checks (not saying that you are an addict or criminal...just that they do these). The biggest thing is time. If you're not sure you have the time it's best not to waste your time or the organizations time if you're going to quite in a few weeks, or bail on your kid.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I was actually a volunteer coordinator for BBBS in southern Maryland. Probably the best thing for you to do to get info is to go to the BBBS website, which will put you in contact with your local chapter.

I do know that you would have to go through a very intensive interviewing process (this is a national BBBS regulation). It also requires a serious time commitment. It's not at all like babysitting, you help you Little with their homework, take them out to eat, play sports, take walks, etc... the focus of BBBS is mentoring, just being there for the child to have someone to talk to.