GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,218
3 members and 1,215 guests
LaneSig, Titchou

Old 12-16-2003, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

U of Minnesota Sorority Recruitment Feb 2004

A heads up for U of Minnesota / Twin Cities women, and those who know them:

There's going to be an NPC sorority rush starting February 7, 2004. This is in addition to the formal recruitment that was held first semester. Basic information, sign-up form and a contact address can be found at

http://www.begreek.org/npc.htm

That page also has links to basic information about each chapter.

I don't know if all the NPC sororities are participating in this "spring" recruitment. NPC sororities at U of Minnesota / Twin Cities are:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Old 12-16-2003, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

WARNING: This is a shameless plug, I repeat a shamless plug.....

YAY! I wanna go Alpha Chi, boom boom, hey baby that ain't no lie! GO AChiO!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my buddies told me the biggest sorority is in the high 60s this fall, and with total at 80 that means every sorority SHOULD be participating in informal rush -- that doesn't mean all of them will, though, but hopefully at least most of them will use this opportunity.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
One of my buddies told me the biggest sorority is in the high 60s this fall, and with total at 80 that means every sorority SHOULD be participating in informal rush -- that doesn't mean all of them will, though, but hopefully at least most of them will use this opportunity.
Sugar and spice, Thanks very much; I had no idea what total was. Before I posted I clicked through the brief descriptions of the 10 NPC GLOs and was, frankly, surprised that the stated membership numbers were so small. Minnesota is a huge school, so any idea of what's the deal? Did the tuition hikes there take too big a bite out of some people's budgets? Are living at home or in dorms or apartments more attractive options? Or is it one of those periodic drops of interest in Greek life?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really not sure why Greek numbers at Minnesota are so low, but I get the feeling that they have never been as high as they have at nearby schools like Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. The aforementioned schools all tend to pull in lots of Chicago suburbanites who are more likely to go Greek, which Minnesota doesn't get. And those from the Twin Cities suburbs who might be more likely to go Greek, I've noticed, often head off to Iowa or Wisconsin instead of sticking around Minnesota.

Also, because the campus is in the middle of the cities and it isn't a real big party school -- there's just so many other things to do -- that it's possible that the Greek system wasn't needed that much for social opportunities the way it was at some other schools.

Edited to add: Also, I think they had lower rush numbers than usual this fall. The numbers on the website are from last spring pre-graduation, and as you can see Pi Phi had almost made it to total then, but they graduated a lot of seniors.

Last edited by sugar and spice; 12-16-2003 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I noticed they have a couple of locals (including the infamous Sigma AEPi). what's their story? are they associate members of panhel or do their own thing? just curious.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AEPhiSierra
I noticed they have a couple of locals (including the infamous Sigma AEPi). what's their story? are they associate members of panhel or do their own thing? just curious.
Sigma isn't really a local per se, now that it has four or five colonies established, but of course it's not NPC either. It wasn't there when I was there, so I'm not sure how things work -- but I'm pretty sure that both Sigma and the other local do not participate in formal recruitment. I know that the local did not while I was there.

I could be wrong but I think the other local has a multicultural or historically Latina slant.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:46 PM

hehe... I didn't know Sigma AEPi was founded at Syracuse in 1872...
Old 12-17-2003, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
hehe... I didn't know Sigma AEPi was founded at Syracuse in 1872...
i was a little confused with your post, but when i checked the website...i almost spit out my soda. obviously, someone didn't fix the info. how funny!

oh and if you click the link to sigmaaepi.com, you get the web page for alpha phi!
Old 12-18-2003, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this the same school/chapter that Dru Sojin was a Gamma Phi Beta from?
Old 12-18-2003, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aabby757
Is this the same school/chapter that Dru Sojin was a Gamma Phi Beta from?

No I'm pretty sure Dru's school was The University of North Dakota, but please someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 12-18-2003, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Dru is from our AB chapter at UND, the chapter at Minnesota is our K chapter and has an ENORMOUS house.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Our campus has had a smaller greek community for a few years now. There are 22 fraternities and 9 sororities (tri-delta is no longer on campus). Many attribute this to the fact that although our undergraduate population is over 40,000.....most of these are commuters that do not live on campus. Many are also non-traditional students who are not 18-22 looking for the involvement aspect of greek life. Sorority total is now 75 and at the end of this spring I believe there were 2 chapters at total, and 3 more were fairly close to being there as well. Hopefully the info is helpful to understanding our campus.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UMNAOII
Our campus has had a smaller greek community for a few years now. There are 22 fraternities and 9 sororities (tri-delta is no longer on campus). Many attribute this to the fact that although our undergraduate population is over 40,000.....most of these are commuters that do not live on campus. Many are also non-traditional students who are not 18-22 looking for the involvement aspect of greek life. Sorority total is now 75 and at the end of this spring I believe there were 2 chapters at total, and 3 more were fairly close to being there as well. Hopefully the info is helpful to understanding our campus.
You do realize this is a 2.5 year old thread.........
Old 05-15-2006, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

AND the first post I'd ever made on greek chat. guess i'm not into it yet.