GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,321
0 members and 1,321 guests
No Members online

Old 12-01-2003, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Ideas for a My Tie?

My chapter is doing a My Tie this weekend and I need some ideas for decorating the two ties! If anyone has any good ideas please let me know!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

well since no one replied I'll post my idea for the ties!

so far I've thought of:

"Gone Fishing" on the girls tie and "Caught me a big one" on the guys tie

"Someday my prince will come" on the girls tie and "My prince" on the guys tie

any other ideas or comments?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a few thoughts from an old fogey...

You might want to stay away from the "I caught a big one" tie for the guys. There are always a handful of women who, even if unjustified, feel like they're overweight. Imagine how their feelings could be hurt if they're referred to as "a big one." Especially if there are pictures taken with everyone in their ties; that may not be a memory some girls want to have!

When we had My Ties, it was kinda like a mystery date party. Each sister chose a date for their big, or little, or some other sister that they were close to. (The main logistical problem is making sure that every sister has a date, and only ONE date. We found it worked best to have each sister indicate who they wanted to be their match-making sister.) If the guy agreed, he gave the match-making sister one of his ties. She then passed it on to his date. Then, all the sisters went to the dance sporting a tie from some unknown guy, and the man who came up to her and said, "That's my tie!" was her date for the evening. It was always a very fun, very entertaining evening!

Like I said, just a few things to consider...

The Protector
Kappa Delta alumnae
Old 12-03-2003, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

for our my tie it's similar...we're setting up our sisters with a date...they don't know who their date is and the date doesn't know which Pi Phi they are going with...and the girl who does the setting up is decorating ties for each couple.

As to the "caught me a big one" thing...the girl that I'm setting up and I are very close...and it's referring to her date...like when you go fishing and a good fish is a big one...but that is something to keep in mind...and if i didn't know the girl I'm setting up well I would stay away from that.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JLyons
We did something similar for our My Tie. The guys dropped their ties off at our house in a brown paper bag. We each took turns taking a tie out of the bag. Whichever tie we pulled out is the one we wore to the party. When the guy sees his tie, he knows who his date is. If you didn't like the tie you pulled out, too bad, you wore it anyway. The tie I pulled wasn't that great but the guy that belonged to the tie turned out to be hot. It was a really fun event.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My freshman year in college the Delts did My Tie, and the way they did it was to give one of their ties to the girl they wanted to take-any random girl, if I'm remembering correctly( which I may not be ).
Old 12-03-2003, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by JennRN
My freshman year in college the Delts did My Tie, and the way they did it was to give one of their ties to the girl they wanted to take-any random girl, if I'm remembering correctly( which I may not be ).
This is always the way we've done My Tie, too, except that usually sisters set up one another...
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Why does The Tie have to be something Special?

Why does it have to be something silly ?

I have a Tie, which is My Favorite Tie.

I did not realize it until I wore it at a Reagional Meeting and the Ex. Secretary (Head Cheese) said, Oh, I see you have a Tie With The Rampant Lion on it!

If You look at LXA, That is in OUr Coat of Arms. I did not even think about it! Now, It is really a special Tie!

Have a tie made that has something that is special for Your Org!

It Will mean a heck of alot more when youy become and Alum!

You will not throw it away, but keep it and wear it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni