GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,170
0 members and 1,170 guests
No Members online

Old 11-25-2003, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Advice

We will be open rushing a couple of girls this semester. One of the girls was good friends with some other girls in the house during high school. I only hear bad stuff about her from people in my pledge class and other girls outside of the house. In fact she was in my rush group. I didn't like her (she had a bad attitude and felt like she 'deserved' to be in a house and was livid when she was not invited back). How do i inform our rush chair this info without coming off too rude?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:13 AM
GreekChat Member

maybe you should give her another chance. recruitment can be stressful for a lot of people and you may not have gotten to see the real girl - also, i've met people that i've heard only bad things about and they are really awesome people! if she goes through informal rush, let yourself and the other girls in your group meet her again - maybe she'll surprise you. if not, you aren't obligated to offer her a bid.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a couple of classes with

her and she is STILL really really rude...I even hear her making fun of the chapters here at unl, and i think she wants to join for all the wrong reasons
Old 11-25-2003, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Obviously everyone's selection process is different... but I don't understand why this is an issue. Can't you just tell the whole chapter how you feel about this girl? If you feel so strongly that she shouldn't be a sister, then you shouldn't shy away from letting people know how you feel. Do it tactfully- but make sure people understand that you don't want her in your sorority for X, Y, and Z reasons. Nothing wrong with that... her friends might not like it TOO much, but people in your chapter who don't know this girl will be glad to hear another opinion about the girl.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:20 AM

I think some sororities do not allow members to voice negativity in the voting sessions...

at any rate, you could write the rush chair a short note if you feel uncomfortable speaking up or are not allowed to do so during rating/voting.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Chances are that your chapter has a Membership or Recruitment Advisor or at the very least a Chapter or General Advisor. If you know factual information about this girl that makes her unqualified for membership, then go to this advisor and explain the situation. If the information is fact and not just hearsay, she can meet with those in charge of recruitment for your chapter and explain that the woman is not qualified for membership without revealing your identity or what exactly makes the member not qualified. This will keep you from making enemies of her friends and is much more fair to the PNM (you won't be telling the world about how she did x, y, and z).
Old 11-25-2003, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank Yall

so much!