GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,304
3 members and 1,301 guests
LaneSig, naraht

Old 09-09-2003, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Girl/Frat Guy

So I was talking to one of my guy friends who's in a frat which shall remain nameless, and he was telling me that even though he's a guy and he's in a frat, he doesn't consider himself to be a frat guy. So my question to everyone is: do you consider yourself to be a sorority girl/fraternity boy or just a girl/guy in a GLO, and do you see a difference between the two?

-Masha
Old 09-09-2003, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
My first rush on the other side was part of one of my finest "Phi Mu moments."

We had alphabet blocks spelling out PHI MU, and five sisters gave a speech about Phi Mu -- each sister had a letter that corresponded with what they were supposed to talk about. For example, the girl with I was supposed to talk about how she'd been Inspired to join the group, the girl with U talked about the Unity and sisterhood she'd seen while she'd been a sister, etc.

I had P, so I made the first speech about how Proud I was to be a Phi Mu.

My speech started off with how I'd thought being in a sorority was about boys and drinking and screwing each other over. That I hated sorority girls and couldn't deal with what they stood for and never thought I'd end up in a sorority. Then I talked about what Phi Mu had come to mean to me... the sisterhood, the selflessness I'd seen in the girls, the interest they took in making sure each girl was getting every chance she could to be the best woman she could be.

Then I ended up by saying, I'm glad I'm not a sorority girl. I'm a Phi Mu.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I see myself as a sorority girl, in the sense that I'm in a GLO, I love my sisters and I know how to have a good time.

But I also have many other facets to my personality as well, and I'm not defined by my GLO at all times. So I don't consider myself a "sorority girl" in that sense. And not in the sense that I wear my lil black frat pants and go slutting it up at the frats (pole dance contests excluded ) But I do have very close friends who are fraternity brothers, so I guess in that sense I am a sorority girl.

I dunno. I guess it depends on what mood I'm in ;-)

Pink is my signature color. ~ Steel Magnolias.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread definately hits home with me--
When I was living in DC, I had the most HORRIBLE roomates, who all had not been greek and thought sorority girls were slightly better than serial killers. Literally, they would make horrible comments to me about how they would love to have me come out with them but they didn't want to be seen with a sorority girl or people would think they were sorority girls. It was horrible!
When I finally told them I was moving out and moving to Atlanta to be closer to my college friends and to my parents, one of them looks at me and goes(AND I QUOTE)

"You know, Atlanta really is that city for sorority girls that need their mommies and daddies....DC is the city for people with strength and backbone" (seriously, I could have been a serial killer at that moment)
But when I took a moment to breathe, I realized that

A. I was a sorority girl, because that meant I had a legacy of loyalty, sisterhood, friendship, and bonds that no one else but sorority girls understand
AND
B.I did need my mom and dad, I loved them more than life itself, and because of them, I understood how important FAMILY is

So, what I am sure the roomate from hell thought was a comment to destroy turned out to be compliment.

I AM a PROUD sorority women and a DAMN PROUD AOTT
Old 09-09-2003, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I like HotDamn's answer. I personally don't see myself as a stereotypical sorority girl in that I don't own a piece of clothing from Express and my last shopping trip was to the Salvation Army (hey, I found a great suede jacket for cheap!), but my friends would probably tell you different since I'm the most "frou-frou" one of the bunch...I love chiffon and my perfume collection.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Is it just me, or do the terms "sorority girl" and "frat boy" belittle people to begin with? Perhaps you are girls and boys when you pledge, but by the time you're ready to graduate, I would hope you are women and men.

Then, there's the ongoing discussion about the term "frat," but that's been debated in other threads.

Personally, I would like to think of all of you younger Greek brothers and sisters as "sorority women" and "fraternity men." I find the other descriptions to be demeaning -- and probably meant to be so.

Although some Greek members may not live up to those "higher" terms, I would like to hope that most do.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
I consider myself a "fraternity man" not a "frat boy." I swear that term is like calling someone an "asshole" or something. Yet people, even greeks still use it like it's going out of style.

You know you wouldn't say America is a Cu*^, you would say it's a country. Get what I'm saying? There ya go.

I think maybe my freshman year I sort of fit the fraternity boy type. I was pretty wild and out of control then. I have since grown up quite a bit and take school much more serious.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Delt Alumn, well said, of course. But then what else would I expect?

I'm a sorority woman, then, for sure.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never considered myself a typical sorority girl, but then again what is a "typical" sorority girl? I've never met such a diverse group of people than I did in my college greek days. You had everythin from the dirt poor putting themselves through school to the trust fund babies whose daddies bought them new cars. I fell somewhere in the middle of that.

I will admit however that since becoming alum, I catch myself squeling around my sisters, using words like "um" "totally" "for sure" and "like yeah", and even though I'm *eh hem* older - I still talk about the sorority like its the only thing in my life (despite finally graduating, having a spouse, a little boy, and another bub on the way!)

I do consider myself a damn proud Alpha Gam!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I'm a frat guy. Whatever.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont like being called a frat boy. I'm a fraternity man.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Damasa, I thought about that quote too. The fraternity brothers on my campus were all about that turn of phrase.

Pink is my signature color. ~ Steel Magnolias.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TKE Paco
i used to use that country thing too...till i realized that i call my telephone a phone.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Last year on the first day of a class I had, we had to interview each other. I was paired with this guy who was I believe 29 years old and was returning back to school for another degree... and he was not Greek. I told him about the things that I'm involved in and I said I was in a sorority, Delta Gamma. His first response was, "Do you consider yourself a sorority girl?" I said "uh yeah." Then he gets up in front of the class reading my bio and goes, "And she doesn't mind being called a sorority girl." I didn't care that he said that, it was more his tone-- like it was in this mocking sense. How rude?! There were also girls in other houses in my class... but they didn't mention that they were in sororities. After his turn, I read his bio, wearing my Anchor Ball t-shirt. I'm proud to be a sorority woman and very proud to be a Delta Gamma.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by TKE Paco
i used to use that country thing too...till i realized that i call my telephone a phone.
True, but I don't know about you, but I put more emphasis on my country and my fraternity than I do my telephone.