GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,449
1 members and 1,448 guests
No Members online

Old 06-19-2000, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Supreme Court Decision

The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that students can not lead prayers to open football games. I remember before every marching band performance in high school, my band director would allow us to pray together. I'm really disappointed in their decision.
Old 06-19-2000, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

yes this is sad, it should be ok if the majority of students want to. but then again we can always pray alone or with a group of friends
Old 06-19-2000, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I agree with you Soror. It is a very sad situation, but I believe that no man (or court) can stop God's work. It is unfortunate that those students who would not pray otherwise will now miss the opportunity, but those students who know that God deserves all the praise will do so anyway. It amazes me how our system works. The same people who are quick to condemn something as sacred and redeeming as prayer are the same people that are reluctant to support tougher gun legislation. Maybe if some of these kids prayed a little more, the news wouldn't be bombarded with images of students shooting up their schools.

Let me quit, because I could go on and on ...
Old 06-19-2000, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

IT is truly a sad day. I really feel that banning prayer is violating our freedom of speech. I will still continue to pray when and whereever I feel like. God is my ruler and the supreme court will never take that away from me.
Old 06-19-2000, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Painting the Bronx, NY pretty PINK and gorgeous GREEN
This is just another example of how the Devil tries to take Jesus out of our lives! It is truly a sad decision...

This is our society, open to new age thinking and ideals... just how the Devil wants it.
I will pray anytime my soul needs it, I hope you will do the same

Blessed...

Diva_56

------------------
In complete darkness we are all the same... It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us... Don't let your eyes deceive you

Janet Jackson
Old 06-19-2000, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This really is sad. I think that prayer is a personal decision for each individual. And if an individual doesn't want to participate then they shouldn't. But one person should not have the power to keep others from praying. I remember in highschool, before each game my team prayed.
Diva_56: Not only is this "another example of how the devil tries to take Jesus out of our lives," it is another example of the government's infringement on our rights.
Correct me if I'm wrong but since when did "freedom of religion and speech" get dropped from the constitution? Let me know.

------------------
"We are each of us angels with one wing, We can only fly embracing each other."
Old 06-19-2000, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Even though I try to live my life as a Christian, I disagree that religion should be interjected into the public school arena. I remember prayers being said during school events in my mainly, but not totally, Christian hometown. The prayers, which were always Christian in nature, had an alienating effect on kids of other faiths, who are the ones I'm most concerned about in these matters. Why should a Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or Buddhist child HAVE to listen to Christian prayer in a school system that their parents have paid their taxes into? (And saying that they don't have to pray, but they can just be silent isn't a fair solution) How do school districts decide whose prayers get said? By vote? By simple majority?

Church and state need to be separated, by virtue of our Constitution. Period. However, I believe that God is not bound by legislation, and the silent prayers of the faithful are just as powerful as the ones loudly and publicly said.

If parents and kids want to weave their faith into their educational experience, then they should find a parochial school that suits their needs. Most offer generous scholarship/work study/tution plans that fit the budgets of even struggling families (I worked at an inner-city Catholic girls' high school for two years and saw impoverished families literally scrape together money so that their girls could go to a Christian school). If that's not an option, try enrolling the kids in good old Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, etc.

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old 06-19-2000, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

DG,

You took the words right out of my mouth. I do believe that it would be unfair and in some ways confusing if Christian prayers are mandated in school. On a parallel note I remember in elementary school there was a girl who didn't say the National Anthem because she was a Jehovah's Witness. I do believe that silent mediation is far more appropriate than not having nothing at all because even if you are atheist you can have a moment of silent medidation before you start your day. Peace.

------------------
Never cast your pearls before swine Matthew 7:6
Old 06-20-2000, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I heard that the Supreme Court also opens their sessions with a prayer. If that is true, then they should reconsider as well.

[This message has been edited by AKAtude (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old 06-20-2000, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I agree that Christian prayers should not be forced down the throats of non-Christians, but a feasible solution is to have a few moments of silence before class or before a sporting event to honor whoever it is that you believe in. I don't care if you call him Jesus, Jehovah, Allah or any other variation of God. The point is that these children should not be discouraged from giving honor and praise when and where they so desire. For those that don't believe in any supreme being, they can review spelling words or something in their heads. I'm not too concerned about infringing upon the rights of those who don't want to pray.

I don't think this ruling will have any real impact on when or where students pray. It's more just a matter of principles and a good insight into what our government is really about. Like Soror AKAtude stated, the Supreme Court opens with prayer. Where do they get the audacity?

[This message has been edited by SkeeBunny (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old 06-20-2000, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely agree with everyone. You should not and cannot force (any particular) religion on anyone. But to keep others from praying as a group is wrong.
No everyone is not of Christian faith and I do agree that if you feel so strongly about prayer in school that you should go to a parochial (sp?) school. I did, but not for those reasons. But if prayer is such a problem why are we still pledging allegiance everyday before class.
"One nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

Question: What if a team is caught conducting a pre-game prayer. What would happen? Would there be consequences?
I never began a game without an individual prayer or a team prayer. I prayed for togetherness, toughness, no injuries (for both teams). What negativity can come of this?
Again, I definately understand where everyone is coming from, but what makes religion so different from so many other things that students are forced to comply with or conform to. I just think people should be given the freedom to decide. Just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by CuRiOuSiTy (edited June 20, 2000).]