GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,509
1 members and 1,508 guests
flirt5721

Old 12-09-2002, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

no more girl scout badges?

I work with a Girl Scout troop and I heard this weekend that badges are going to be phased out for Cadettes and Seniors and replaced with charm bracelets. The concept is the same (you work toward knowledge in specific areas), just the symbol you get for it is different.

I guess girls in high school and junior high feel like big dorks wearing badges, and it makes sense to make the change if that's keeping girls from staying active.

Still, it makes me sad. Badges have been a part of Girl Scouting from practically the beginning, and I loved earning them as a junior (never made it beyond for reasons that are beyond the scope of this post). But it's just nostalgia ... Girl Scouts has always done a terrific job of updating itself with the times without losing its core values or diluting its program, and this is another example.

I don't see anything about this on the national Girl Scouting site, though. Has anyone else out there heard anything about this?
Old 12-09-2002, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

Sorry.. I had to add that!

KLTC
Old 12-09-2002, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

I've been a leader since 1970 and I hadn't heard that! We haven't gotten our Leader Magazine this fall, though.

Sure they feel dorky with badges but it's not a good idea to do charms--they go in and out of fashion too. When I was a teenager, charm bracelets were dorky because they were a relic of the fifties and no doubt they'll cycle back out. Then what will we do?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Then what will we do?
Maybe they'll move onto tattoos or britney spears collectable tank tops? J/k

I don't think I had any really serious feelings about the uniform or badges when I was younger. I just remember having a really good time!
Old 12-09-2002, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry One more thought ...

On Halloween I saw as many college girls dressing as girl scouts as there were girls dressing as school girls, nurses, etc.

Last edited by UofIL AXO; 12-09-2002 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
I've been a leader since 1970 and I hadn't heard that! We haven't gotten our Leader Magazine this fall, though.

Sure they feel dorky with badges but it's not a good idea to do charms--they go in and out of fashion too. When I was a teenager, charm bracelets were dorky because they were a relic of the fifties and no doubt they'll cycle back out. Then what will we do?
I have been a Girl Scout since second grade, I got a lifetime membership for high school graduation... I haven't heard anything about it either... I don't really like the idea.. I went all the way through Cadettes and Seniors and I never felt dorky or stupid for earning badges. I might not have worn my uniform around for kicks but I took a lot of pride in the times I did wear my insignia. I wonder if this is just a rumor--I hope it is!!

carnation, my mom was our leader for like 8 years too!

Speaking of Girl Scouts, I think it is a program that really prepared me for/interested me in sorority life. They share many elements--philanthropies, values, ceremonies, badges, self-betterment etc. I think that's why Pi Phi appealed to me in part, because it seemed to be a way to continue the type of friendship I had with my troop (we stayed together all the way from second grade to senior year and were all best friends.. we still do alumnae activities together!).

Last edited by breathesgelatin; 12-09-2002 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Found with a little web sleuthing:
http://scoutingweb.com/scoutingweb/D...TUDIO%202B.pdf

http://www.studio2b.org/intro_s2b.html

http://www.gssp.org/index_convention.htm

It's a lot more than just charms.

Last edited by FuzzieAlum; 12-09-2002 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:38 PM

This kind of rubs me the wrong way... those are some pretty sweeping changes. Call me a traditionalist, but I liked the old names, and I liked the badges...

I wish there had been Cadette and Senior troops where I grew up... I had to drop out of Girl Scouts in 6th grade because there wasn't a troop in my immediate area.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Angry

I just read through the first link....

I think it's pretty stupid. Some of the ideas (phasing out uniforms/restructuring the useless age groupings) are cool, but I don't like the idea of no badges at all. I feel like charm bracelets will be viewed by the girls as kitschy. Maybe I'm wrong...?!?! Oh well.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:37 PM

That second link...can we more blatantly say "adults trying to use teenage slang and completely embarassing themselves"? I know they need to update occasionally, but this sounds like they are completely pandering to things that are so transient.

Girls don't drop out of Girl Scouts because the badges aren't cool or any of that...it's because the college pressure is starting at that age and they need to study more. That, and boys.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl is totally right about adults using slang. Adults are awful judges are what kids like, and we end up with campaigns like, "Hey, kids! Not using drugs is like totally def!" Ugh!

But if you let kids shape the program - which I think they did here to a great extent - kids only know what they like then and don't have a sense of the long-term. GS should roll with the times (just because Juliette Low didn't have a computing badge doesn't mean we shouldn't today), but anything drastically trendy will age too fast. Like the name, Studio 2B, it sounds like the already-passe "B2B" phrases the business world was throwing around a year ago. If you have to radically revamp a program every two years, there is a problem.

I'm rather on the fence about this new program, and I'm glad it's being piloted right now rather than being rolled out everywhere as a done deal. Personally, I liked the structure and orderliness of badges and uniforms, but then, I'm an old bird of 26, so what do I know!
Old 12-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

ROTFL about adults using teenage slang! Even in the sixties, adult magazine writers would write "my fave guy is totally groovy" or whatever and we would just die. Despite what you may think from seeing the Brady Bunch, noooobody said "groovy" back in the day.

Anyway, I got my Leader later today and I'm not really impressed with what little they've said about Studio2B. I know that the national office is faced with declining numbers--and so much of it is due to the wide choices of activities that young women have these days--but there seems to be little meat in this program. It sounds like Britney Spears came up with it. Groovy.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

okay, I don't know how many of you actually were cadette's or seniors but I was both (along with Brownies and Juniors, they just started Daisy's when I joined!), do I think the charm bracelet thing is lame, yes! but they have to change it. It's from Juniors to Cadettes/Seniors that they have the worst retention rates.

I never owned a uniform or sash, my troop was the largest in the area (with a whopping 16 people) and it was like the mob. We never spoke of it in public. The negative image is something they are trying to combat. I agree that it's sad to see the badges go, but honestly besides the silver/gold awards etc., I didn't have the time to do badges and neither did the rest of the girls I was with. We stopped meeting on a regular basis because we couldn't coordinate our schedules. Our leader would basically call us up and make us aware of things, much like the advisor position they describe and it worked for us.

Personally, I spent a lot more time working with younger girls than I actually did working on badges and awards and it developed my leadership ability and willingness to serve the community more than earning the badges did, plus it was fun. That's my 2cents.

I do have to say that the name is super dumb!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fire1977
The negative image is something they are trying to combat.
Do boy scouts experience these same problems?
Old 12-09-2002, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UofIL AXO

Do boy scouts experience these same problems?
That's something that's always annoyed me. For some reason it becomes vastly uncool to be a Girl Scout, but never a Boy Scout. and EVERYONE knows what the Eagle Scout is, and basically no one knows what the Gold or Silver Award. It's not something people brag about so much (but I found by junior and senior year of HS people Girl Scouts were cool again because we had cookies ) I agree that some changes need to be made... But some elements of this program sound pretty transient. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.