GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,546
2 members and 1,544 guests
John

Old 05-25-2021, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Q&A: President Schapiro (Northwestern) talks Abolish Greek Life, etc.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2021/0...ip-transition/

Just a couple questions and quick responses about Greek life included:

Quote:
The Daily: What do you think about the movement to abolish Greek life at NU?

Schapiro: It’s probably part of a larger movement to create campuses that are safe and inclusive. I know that, historically, it’s been an important part of student life, but I trust the students if the students don’t want to affiliate.

The Daily: How much do Greek organizations contribute to University donations?

Schapiro: I’ve never seen in my 12 years in Northwestern that (Greek life) has had any impact on fundraising. I have no idea about how other people might feel. It’s not an issue for me, whether a fraternity or sorority is kicked off campus or not.

@~/~~~~
Old 05-25-2021, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
So if students don't want to affiliate, then they don't have to affiliate! There's an organization on campus for everyone, but that doesn't mean that every organization is right for everyone.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-25-2021, 06:16 PM

What an asshat.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Schapiro: I’ve never seen in my 12 years in Northwestern that (Greek life) has had any impact on fundraising. I have no idea about how other people might feel. It’s not an issue for me, whether a fraternity or sorority is kicked off campus or not.
That's because the donors probably aren't writing their affiliations on their checks. Abolish Greek life and then see what happens. He'll care when underground organizations at his university start making headlines and he has no control over it.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-27-2021, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like he's already retired, in his mind.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought it was widely known and accepted amongst college administrators that FSL alumni donate more frequently? Guess this guy missed the memo
Old 05-27-2021, 02:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I would encourage Schapiro to talk to President Hanna at Bloomsburg. I know that three members of the University Foundation Board that were Greek have resigned their positions due to the canceling of Greek Life. Two of these folks have also rescinded their major gift commitments to the University.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that none of these administrators admit that they know how much money comes in from Greek alumni. COME ON MAN! This is Northwestern FFS, not Podunk University. I expect it from Bloomsburg, but no way, I call BS on this guy.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Somewhere, in a dimly lit room, Greek abolitionist is printing this thread and posting it on their bulletin board as evidence that we think we wield power and privilege.

Maybe that's not where the discussion should focus as much as the loss to these schools of what Greek organizations really do bring--we are the most active and engaged students in student life. We enhance the campus culture. Most of our organizations have made diversity and inclusion a priority. Many of us are evolving with the times.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-27-2021, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
It sounds like he's already retired, in his mind.
He's already announced his retirement.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Hope the door doesn't hit him in the ______.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Saying this is going to discourage greeks from donating. He's basically saying "yeah we don't care if your 100+ year old orgs are closing en masse, we don't need your money."

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 05-28-2021, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe my mentioning donations is putting the focus on the wrong thing (although with all the revenue lost due to COVID, I’m sure it’s important to a college administrator right now). Donations are only part of it; the reason people donate is because they’ve had a positive experience at the school and want the same for others. Being (given variations in the recruiting schedule) accepted into a group early in one’s college career can help cement their decision to stay the the school and enhance the overall experience. I think sometimes people forget that what we learn in college doesn’t all take place in a classroom. Greek life can and should play an integral role in campus life in the 21st century.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Maybe my mentioning donations is putting the focus on the wrong thing (although with all the revenue lost due to COVID, I’m sure it’s important to a college administrator right now). Donations are only part of it; the reason people donate is because they’ve had a positive experience at the school and want the same for others. Being (given variations in the recruiting schedule) accepted into a group early in one’s college career can help cement their decision to stay the the school and enhance the overall experience. I think sometimes people forget that what we learn in college doesn’t all take place in a classroom. Greek life can and should play an integral role in campus life in the 21st century.
Hear, hear!
Old 05-29-2021, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

⬆️ Well said, *winter*. Your take on this is spot on.