GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,689
1 members and 1,688 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-09-2002, 03:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Question The Sigma AEPi house

Big Sisters- On Sorority Life they have a really nice house- Is that what other pledge houses r like and also are sorority houses really nice and big- A while ago i heardsum one say that there are up to 60 girls in their sorority so are sorority houses huge places like on TV and movies? Your little sister
Old 07-09-2002, 05:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to TPASteph

That's a nice dream isn't it? To have a house as nice as the one MTV made up for these girls. MTV redid their house, and I'm pretty sure the pledge house was entirely their idea as well. Can you imagine what dues would be like if there actually were houses like this? Heck, some campuses don't even HAVE sorority houses, like Penn State. A house is what you make of it, not the glam MTV has made of Sigma's. Usually houses are old, but you can fix your room up to make it homey. Bright colors and funky decorations are always fun!
Old 07-09-2002, 07:14 AM
Unregistered-

Wink

To me, a 'house' is not a roof and a bunch of walls with a 'Gone with the Wind' decor....rather it's the brother/sisterhood that you have on a local and inter/national level!

If I'm not mistaken, NPC sororities do not have pledge houses. As stated in another thread, the pledge house was an idea created by the producers of "Sorority Life".

My chapter doesn't have a gigantic mansion that we can call home, but that doesn't mean we lack the sisterhood that housed chapters have.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
lil sis,

it basically all depends on what school you go to. my current school only has fraternity houses. and those are just regular houses. at my last school though, there were basically two types of houses provided by the school for both sororities and fraternities. old georgian style houses or converted dorms buildings. it depended on which one you had as to how many people were in the house. i think that the largest held 'bout 40 brothers or sisters. you can check out the site if you want. i think you can even take a video tour of the houses.

bgsu greek site

marissa
A GD
Old 07-09-2002, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
our houses were reserved for 12 sisters only and they were on campus in the greek courts. all the fraternities and sororities have the same exact house (with minor details changed sometimes, like linoleum floors vs. hard wood). Our house has to be filled, but with 100+ sisters its not usually a problem, plus sophmores have to live on campus, so they usually are in competition for houses.
noone on our campus has a "pledge house", and i believe they are purely ficticous for any NPC sorority.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down there's no such thing as a pledge house in the real world

"Pledge houses" don't exist anywhere except in MTV's version of reality. How nice and big sorority houses are depends on the school. At my school, the sorority houses are very nice (cost $4 million each) and each has room for 20 members to live there (that's 20 out of about 120 per sorority). Officers live in the house, but most other girls do not. At other schools, many more girls live in the house. Keep in mind, the Sigma's sorority house on the MTV show was no doubt "fixed up" by MTV before filming started. Yes, it looks really nice, but once again it's not reality. Most sorority houses are very nice but in a more traditional, less MTV style.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
A good article on the whole ting

http://www.uwire.com/content//topae070802003.html
Old 07-09-2002, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

like squirelly girl said, it depends on where you go to school. Big 12 and SEC schools tend to have huge, pretty houses. at smaller universities, the size/quality really varies. when you apply, visit the school's campus and check things out for yourself.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

That totally sucks that MTV created the whole pledge house deal. They'd think ppl would use this show to understand sororities better but they're just confusing ppl. If i never talked to any of you i would prolly go off to college and ask, "so when do i move in the pledge house?". I love my MTV but i have to say this- Don't fuck with my head. Your fool mouthed lil greek sister
Old 07-09-2002, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish MTV-style pledge houses existed in the real world-but, unfortunately they don't. At my school, we didn't even have sorority houses (blue laws ). I know at TCU-where Mr.ChiOJenn went to school-all the greeks lived in dorms-seperate dorms away from the rest of campus. Except for the Sigma Nu's who actually had their own house.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

You have to be kidding me right? Do you honestly believe anyone has houses like that? Even the most of the wealthiest sororities (the ones with the high dues and big, beautiful houses) don't have houses that look like that with a pool and everything. MTV gave them that so they could shoot the show in style. Our house is really small. Only about 14 girls out of the 50 in the chapter can live in it. But it is very nice and cozy and I got the chance to live there this year. Obviously, we would love it if MTV made us a house like that for free but for now we are very happy with our nice house and our thankful we actually have one (a lot of greeks don't). Plus, our dues and rent aren't very expensive at all which is also a plus!
Old 07-09-2002, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDambular
I look at Sigma's house and I felt a twinge of jealousy, it's so nice. Then I see the pledge house and I begin to turn green, but then I realize I would have missed out on that "freshman dorm experience" that we should have. The first year without ANY rules. I needed that. Yet now that I live in the house, I cannot imagine anything else. Our house is old. Very old. Built in the early 1900's and has always been home to 52 KD's every year. so to me, that makes it incredibly special. No we don't have air conditioning, it is heated by radiators and we only have 9 parking spots but it's home. It's homey and it's old (many think it's haunted) and it's the most comfortable house I have ever lived in. That is the only way I would ever want it.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phisigsigchic
Even the most of the wealthiest sororities (the ones with the high dues and big, beautiful houses) don't have houses that look like that with a pool and everything...Our house is very small...But it is very nice and cozy and I got the chance to live there this year...Plus, our dues and rent aren't very expensive at all which is also a plus!
Just because a sorority has a nice big cushy house doesn't mean we're paying an arm and a leg for it. The rent for living in my house is less than half of what I paid for a nice but ordinary apartment this past year. I think it even costs less or about the same as it would to live in a dorm on my campus.

Anyway, a pledge house is such a bad idea. The new members are supposed to bond with the sisters and with the rest of their pledge sisters, not play games with the house rules and wage war against your own pledge sisters and soon-to-be sisters. But what do we expect? MTV is not out to promote sisterhood, it's out to promote higher ratings...
Old 07-09-2002, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Well ROWDYsister, at my college the bigger and better the house the more dues you pay. So naturally I assumed thats the way it goes. I mean if you see a nice house you just think it is going to cost more than the other smaller houses. Plus maybe rent isn't bad but dues sky rocket. And in the north east, where I go to school, rent and property are expensive. I am sure thats why west coast schools always seem to have nicer houses than the northeast schools do.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BiSororityGrrl Send a message via Yahoo to BiSororityGrrl
lucky

Watching MTV's Sorority Life makes me sick. I get envious just passing greek houses on other campuses, and they don't even compare to MTV's revision. At least you all have houses. I'm at SFSU and we're not allowed to have greek houses. Be thankful for what you have!