GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,313
2 members and 1,311 guests
sigmagirl2000
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 04:18 PM
UMgirl

Smile Penn State University- Alpha Mu Chapter Recharter

Does anyone know anything about this. I was (and I know everyone else has been too) reading the 'Roll Call...Name The GLO's at Your School' Thread in Greek Life and notice a lot of PSUer's stating that ALpha Gam is working its way back there? I know we have had the conversation about being low-key on the expansion stuff, but I figured since this was a recharter/recolonization (?) and others already threw it out, I would ask about it.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have not heard anything about this, so I couldn't say one way or the other.

Keep in mind, however, that there are a lot of "ifs" when it comes to a re-chartering.

If the Panhellenic is open to extension...
If there aren't any other closed GLO chapters looking to recharter...
If IC decides that we have the resources and alumnae support to reopen the chapter...

I don't want to be a spoilsport. I think rechartering would be absolutely the most wonderful thing in the world! But, until I actually *hear* something from a reliable source confirming a re-chartering, I'm not going to hold my breath.

If its true, I would love to hear all about it, because that would be VERY exciting news!
Old 06-10-2002, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I doubt we'd be recolonizing there since the chapter was just closed. Some time (at least a year) would need to pass before recolonizing to allow students to forget any opinions/ideas/opinions of the chapter that was just closed so we can start fresh with no baggage. University Panhellenics also usually need to be approve any recolonizations or have some resolution as to how a closed chapter may come back on campus.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

HELLO!!! I don't know anything about this rechartering stuff, but if it were to happen, i think it would be wonderful!! It's kinda discouraging that they're shutting down some chapters, but I'm glad things might turn around!
Quote:
Great women go greek, but the best go Alpha Gamma Delta
Old 06-10-2002, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably just a rumor

I read the post and it looks like it may have just been started as a rumor. The women that are still on campus maybe have said that they are attempting to recharter and that is how it is started. I have heard nothing about rechartering and highly doubt it will be happening soon. It is really much to early to go back to that campus. Hopefully it will happen in the future!
Old 06-11-2002, 10:31 AM

just nosy me...

Hi ladies -

There is an interest group at Penn State trying to recharter the Theta Phi Alpha chapter there (it's been closed for a couple decades) and they have already done things with fraternities, helped with Thon etc. That might be the group that people are talking about - and it got confused just because people don't know TPA's name there.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the heads-up, Sheila. We always hope that someday we can recharter chapters that have been closed, and I know we're all looking forward to the day that we can return Alpha Mu to Penn State. With any luck it will be sooner rather than later.
Old 06-11-2002, 04:02 PM
UMgirl

Question How soon is too soon? Unconfuse me :-)

I just had a question about this because a few have said that IHQ waits awhile before recolonizing/rechartering a chapter. However, my chapter wasnt recolonized that long after it closed. I know they werent recognized by my schools Office of Greek Life in 1999-2000 (my junior year) yet they did rush and initiated girls. You'll even see it on IHQ's sister search site. Then they recolonized in Fall 2000 (us). So why were we done as soon as we were, and how long does IHQ normally seem to wait?
Old 06-11-2002, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Just depends

UMgirl,
It totally depends on the situation! There are various things to consider...the campus, the closing situation, the attitudes/reputations around campus, and most of all - is it in the best interest for Alpha Gamma Delta to be on that campus.
Hope this helps!
Old 06-13-2002, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
It would be great to recolonize at Penn state! It is such a great univ!!

I hope it happens sooner than later!!!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGDpromise
Penn State, have we ben lied to

As a former sister pledging Psu when the chapter was closed, I was PROMISED by nationals it would only be a year. The president looked me staight in the eye and sworee to my breaking heart it would be no longer than two semesters until I would be an active sister. Was I lied to. The pledges os Alpha Gam have waited for the return of our chapter. We have been given an extremely unfair situation if AGD does not return. We had changes to join other sorroities and we stuff by AGD through this time. I will be heartbroken if nationals doesn not keep their promise.
Also I spoke with Panhellitic and Mr. Rupert who handle AGd's return . They both said that AGD was given the ability to return. I have tried to call internationals that handles PEnn States Chapter and my calls are never answered.
If AGD does not return I and several other former girls who were promised to be given full status will be crushed/
Old 06-20-2002, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Penn State

What can I do to get nationals to remember us at Penn State. The loss of the chapter was a devistation. As A joining member i never went alumni with the rest of the chapter due to the promise it would only be a year until AGD returns. AGD has a great name on campus. Many of the girls who once belonged have since left and it is time to reestablish our chapter. What can I do to get nationals to return my calls or to re-establish Agd at Penn State. I'm not sure what to do but I love Alpha Gam and I want to be an Alpha Gam. I don't want to leave this organization, I am determined in seeing it grow strong here at PSU and suceed. Can anyone help me? Please.

Moderator's note: This post was the initial post in a thread of its own, but it was merged due to its content.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 06-20-2002 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Of The women who are left on campus from the charter, that were active sisters only 6 remain and those 6 were given alumni status. There were three pledges promised to be given a new sorority in the upcoming fall. Those three pledges would then be the active sisters. Of those 3 pledges only 2 still want to recolonize and stay an alpha gam, the other joined another sorority. The alumnis members DO not want alpha gam to return. After alpha Gam was taken from PSU the members formed a new social sorority and don't care very much if Alpha Gam comes back, in fact some former members approached panhellitic to keep the chapter from coming back.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:09 AM
Unregistered-

Exclamation !!!!!

Again, I *highly* encourage this discussion to continue via PMs.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any concerns about the closing of this thread.

Thanks.
Closed Thread