GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,273
0 members and 1,273 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2002, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Urgent! Theta Theta Needs Your Help

Many of you may have already heard about International's decision to resolve Theta Theta Chapter at Mississippi State University. Obviously the active members and alumnae of Theta Theta are distraught at the thought of losing our chapter.

Because of the number of calls and letters International has already received from parents, members and alumnae about this decision they have decided to review our case. But we need all the support we can get from Alpha Gams everywhere! I'm asking that you take a few minutes to write a letter to International voicing your support for Theta Theta.

The members and alumnae of Theta Theta are more committed than ever to seeing our chapter grow and become a permanent fixture on the Mississippi State campus.

You can go to International's web site for phone and fax numbers, e-mail addresses and snail mail address. The address is alphagammadelta.org. If there is one thing that Alpha Gamma Delta taught me it is to fight for what we believe in and that we can make a difference. Let's pull together as sisters and make a difference for Theta Theta.

Thank you so much for your support.
Loyally,
Lee
Old 02-21-2002, 11:38 PM
UMgirl

Post Commentary

Lee...Welcome to Greek Chat and I hope you are and will continue to enjoy our boards. As you can see we are pretty silly . I left a message on Theta Theta's website and will try to send an email or letter to IHQ.I am happy to hear that IHQ is reviewing the decision. I believe I did for Alpha and I found out about Chi when it was too late otherwise I would have for them too. If there is another thing that, being an Alpha Gam has taught us or instilled more in us, is speaking out for what we think is wrong or what we believe in. Ladies, please do not take this the wrong way, but I have been keeping this in for the past 3 months. I hope you all understand where I am coming from (This is just my opinion also.)
I love IHQ and our fraternity (sorority) with all my heart. Ive always believed in Greek life but never thought I would be as devoted as I have been. However...
THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS, in my opinion. 3 chapters in the process of closing so far in the 2001-2002 school year and all within a 4 month period. Unfortuantely the school year is not over, but hopefully the closings are. Out of our first 10 chapters (Alpha - Kappa), 6 are currently inactive. I know IHQ has good intentions when they close and have good reasons and all have probably been for different reasons. However we do have over half (64%) of our chapters active. But lately it seems that its been for numbers. I know that we are trying to remain competitive with the other NPC's, but in my opinion we shouldnt be closing chapters just because they have low numbers. No sorority or fraternity is going to be the top one (numbers, academics, etc) on all campuses. Just because for example Auburn can get 60 in a new member class, with a total of lets say 160 girls, doesnt mean that the University of Gitchigitchi can. To me it seems we kind of have this mentality inwhich, even though its focus is on a strong sisterhood (which we certainly have) its starting to lean more towards numbers. Speaking of National Orgs in general, I have never thought the length of time a chapter gets to improve is reallt fair. I wouldnt expect a chapter with low number to improve within a 1-3 year period. Especially on a competitive Greek campus where you have certain orgs that people seem to always want to get into and are not interested in others.
Again, I hope no one takes offense to this, but it is just my opinion and I am not trying to point blame at IHQ. As I said I am sure they are doing what the believe is best. Its just frustrating to see 3 closing in such a short time and not knowing whether it could bloow up into more.
For me, to a point, as long as there is a strong since of pride and sisterhood, who really cares about numbers. I think most would prefer quality over quantity even though its always nice to have great numbers of sisters all over.

Loyally,
Tonya
Old 02-22-2002, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Lee, I know what it's like to need the support of sisters...luckily, GC is a great place to find it! I will e-mail IHQ in the morning. Keep us posted!
Old 02-22-2002, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Tonya and Leslie, thank you so much for your help! Writing letters may not reverse IHQ's decision to resolve Theta Theta, but at least they know that we are willing to fight for our chapters!

Tonya, I agree with you that it is a little concerning that so many of our chapters have been or are being resolved. Theta Theta's numbers are low and we are easily the smallest sorority on campus (by the way, that was one of the things I liked about Theta Theta). We have always had a hard time recruiting at Miss. State. We are competing against some very strong sororities. Even though we have been on campus for 12 years, we are still considered the "new kids." AGD just isn't that well known in Mississippi and the majority of our members are from out of state. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that we were told at the end of last semester that we had until May 2002 to recruit 20 new girls. As of last week they had handed out 11 bids, all of which were accepted. The members were so excited about the new pledges and really encouraged that they were going to be able to meet and hopefully exceed IHQ's goal. You can imagine their surprise when they got the bad news on Monday. Either there was a major miscommunciation or IHQ didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Keep in mind, I'm hearing all of this second hand. I'm sure IHQ is basing their decision on other things (I hope!). Sorry to vent, but it is so frustrating!

We have gotten such a great response from sisters all of the country. If nothing else it helps to know that other people care. Thanks (I'll climb down from my soap box now )!

Loyally,
Lee
Old 02-22-2002, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't find IHQ contact e-mails on the website. Can someone please PM me with the proper e-mail or provide a link? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2002, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to msuagd01
Arrow That information you wanted....

Thank you so much for your support! I found that link for you... http://www.alphagammadelta.org/About...ters_Staff.asp

Thanks again! I love all my sisters in Alpha Gam.

Loyally,
Kelly Jo
Old 02-25-2002, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a point of clarification...IHQ does not make the decision to close a chapter, International Council does. Their names and addresses are listed in the Quarterly on the Directory page.

Loyally,
Old 02-25-2002, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Any news on this front?
Old 02-25-2002, 07:54 PM
UMgirl

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDZO Susan
Just a point of clarification...IHQ does not make the decision to close a chapter, International Council does. Their names and addresses are listed in the Quarterly on the Directory page.

Loyally,
Thank you for the clarification Susan . I think I just said IHQ, because I know International Council is located there and sometimes I am too lazy to actually think out things when I write.

Tonya
Old 02-25-2002, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

IHQ/IC

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl

I think I just said IHQ, because I know International Council is located there and sometimes I am too lazy to actually think out things when I write

Tonya
Actually, International Council does not reside at IHQ or Indiana. The members of IC live around the country. International Headquarters (IHQ) is just the business office. I hope that clears things up!
Old 02-25-2002, 10:56 PM
UMgirl

Cool Alrighty, Im In Stupid Mode Today

Ok thanks again for the clarification SquirrelGal .

I really did know that IC officers lived in different parts of the country. Really I did. Swear it on EP! For some reason though when I had to contact IHQ once, I thought that they said that IC did their business at IHQ. If not than where do they do it? Over the phone? Email? They have to discuss issues together some place. Anyone know? This sounds kinda interesting.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

IC

They do have meetings at IHQ but they also meet at other places throughout the year. It depends on conferences, etc in their schedule. They meet about 4 times a year and then have conference calls, faxing , emails, etc. Most of them work and have families, plus they are in different time zones, so technology has really helped!
I hope that helps with the how it all works. I know it can be confusing but really just think of it as IC makes the decisions and IHQ is the business office.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Update

I thought y'all might want to hear the latest! Kathryn Kish (executive director) has commented on the overwhelming support that Theta Theta has received. The entire Greek community at Mississippi State has shown their support in some way, whether writing letters in our behalf or something as simple as sending flowers to the chapter. A couple of other AGD chapters have also sent letters or made phone calls to IHQ. And many many Alpha Gams have shown their support. The ladies of Theta Theta are "revitalized" by the support that they have been shown! It makes me even more proud to be an AGD!!

An official request for an appeal is being submitted today. This includes proposals from alumnae, parents and the collegians. They are still asking for letters of support, if anyone is interested. And are so grateful for the support they have already received! It is incredible to see everyone pull together like this.

If you want to contact the ladies of Theta Theta you can go to:

http://www.msstate.edu/org/agd/

They would love to hear from you!

Thanks again for everyone's support and concern.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
The Reflector
Mississippi State University
February 26, 2002

Nationals pull Mississippi State U. sorority chapter

By Annemarie Beede, The Reflector

The Theta Theta chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta sorority will close its
doors for good at Mississippi State University in May if their appeal
to Alpha Gamma Delta International Headquarters is not accepted.

President Tamra Blocker said the group had no initial warning of the
grave news they received Feb. 18.

"I knew they (national officers) were coming," Blocker said. "But
when they showed up at 8 p.m. and read the note (telling the group
that it was being closed), it was really a total shock to everyone."
Blocker said the group's shock stemmed from the fact Alpha Gamma
Delta members currently were working with their national officers and
MSU's Panhellenic council to up their membership from 31 members to
50 members by the end of this semester.

"They have not given us any reason," Blocker said. "The most recent
communication we had with them prior to this was positive remarks on
our hard work. It makes us feel like we've been working so hard to
just throw it out all of a sudden."

"Mississippi State University hates to lose an organization like
Alpha Gamma Delta," Director of Student Life Edwin Keith said.

Keith said he and Assistant Director of Student Life Heidie Lindsey
were notified by the sorority's national officers that they were
coming to MSU's campus and needed to speak with them, but he said he
and Lindsey were not told any specifics.

"It's never easy to see this happen," Keith said. "It hurts everyone
associated with the organization, but this doesn't happen in one day."

Keith said when he first came to MSU 11 years ago, the sorority had
more than 100 members and was just shy of the overall greek average
of 120 to 130 members.

Keith said in his time at MSU he has seen two fraternities close for
low membership numbers, and he said neither group successfully was
able to appeal the decision to close them down.

Blocker said the Feb. 18 news left many members speechless, and
"several girls lost it and had to leave the room."

Blocker said she and her sorority sisters are upset about losing
their chapter but they are more upset about the way their national
officers handled the situation.

"We don't feel they really handled the whole thing in a professional
manner," Blocker said. "We really could and should have been at least
warned."

Although Blocker said sorority members did not agree with the way the
matter was handled, she said she and her sorority sisters could not
be more pleased with the support MSU has shown them.

"They've been wonderful," Blocker said. "Lindsey, Keith, Dr. [Jimmy]
Abraham and Panhellenic have really been so supportive and willing to
help in anyway. You would think that our national officers could have
treated us a little better."

Blocker said she has 100 percent support to appeal the decision to
close the house. She said as soon as she is able to learn the
specifications on the appeal process the sorority will appeal.

Blocker said there are many details, including what will happen to
the chapter's house, she has yet to learn.

Keith said if the group is not successful in appealing to its
international office, the house Alpha Gamma Delta has been using on
Sorority Row can be bought by any existing or new organization.

"We need at least one more sorority," Keith said. "We really hope
that the house will be bought by an organization."

Keith said Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi and Kappa Kappa Gamma are
three sororities that also have closed their doors at MSU.
Old 03-03-2002, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamDiva Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaGamDiva
Make sure you keep us all up to date on what's going on in Mississippi, ladies! Still wishing you all the best!

Loyally,
Monica

My Facebook