GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,335
1 members and 1,334 guests
60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 01-13-2002, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Roommate Etiquette

Those of us who have had roommates and those of you who currently have roommates, what are the do's and don'ts in your opinion?

These were SOME of my do's and don'ts when I lived on campus:
1. Don't touch my stuff unless I have given you permission!
2. Do not erase my messages off of MY ANSWERING machine.
3. Clean up yo s%^&!
4. Buy you some food!
5. Buy you some stuh!
6. Offer me some gas money to take you somewhere! All you have to do is OFFER!

LMAO!
Old 01-13-2002, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I have two roommates right now who I can't stand! I am not a violent person but sometimes, I just want to smack those binches.

Here are my rules

1. Don't be loud if I am sleeping
2. Don't have people "living" in my house who don't pay rent (i.e. your man spends the night every night and is in my house more than I am)
3. Clean up after yourself
4. Don't touch my stuff
5. Don't smoke weed on my porch (can you say tacky, triflin, and illegal?)
6. Don't have the air on if it is cold outside
Old 01-13-2002, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

1. Do not ask to borrow my clothes/shoes if I don't know you like that. ESPECIALLY if we are not the same size... don't make me call you on that.

2. Do not make excessive noise if you decide to come in when I'm already sleeping.

3. Do not leave unopened food lying around the room.

4. Do not answer my phone if you can't manage to give me my messages.

5. DO take showers. I had this issue with a rooommate last year. I ain't never smelled feet like that.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Because the average rent in my neck of SoCal is $1300 a month, I have a housemate. I'm not interested in eating Top Ramen every day.

I ask only three things: Clean up after yourself, do not engage in relations with your companion (he's too old to be called a boyfriend) within my view (the living room) and don't drink my premium spirits w/o permission. I pay too much money for my libations.
Old 01-13-2002, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink This is true, but if I found myself in this situation, I would......

Quote:
Originally posted by ClassyLady

2. Don't have people "living" in my house who don't pay rent (i.e. your man spends the night every night and is in my house more than I am)
start paying 1/3 of EVERYTHING , if the original deal was for me and her/him to split the bills in half. I'm sure the "companion" will start spending less and less time at my place!!! And even if I still end up with a 3rd "roomate", less $$$$ will be coming out of my pocket. Sounds good to me.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Oh, the memories.......

1) Do not wake up and eat Salt and Vinegar potato chips.

2) Do not drink my Hawaiin Punch. You have free reign over anything else I've got, but the Punch is off limits.

3) Do brush your teeth for longer than 35 seconds after eating chips in the morning. (I have an obsession with dental hygiene and I timed my roommate. I don't believe one has a clean mouth if they brushed for less than 5 minutes and didn't brush their tongue.)

4) Don't walk to the shower stall without any shower shoes.

5) Don't lotion your feet knowing they are dirty because you walked back from the shower stall without any shower shoes.

6) Don't open and close your closet door repeatedly. Keep it open until you are done.

7) Don't flip your wet hair in front of the mirror and not wipe it off.

8) Don't think because I'm a heavy sleeper you can blow-dry your hair in the room. Go to the bathroom.

My roommate had some very inconsiderate and unhealthy habits, but turned out to be a very cool person to hang with. However, my mornings were just to valuable and I wasn't going to risk getting someone worse so I got my own room.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kitten03
Very Good Topic!!!
A lil background: I was in a two person room with three people, beds desks etc. Talk about tiny and cluttered. Ok here are my recommendations.

1) Do give some type of notice if you are engaged in sexual acts. I dont want to walk in on you. Eye sight is too valuable.

2) Don't take your frustration out on me.

3) Dont keep my VCR from taping my TV shows...it flashes a red message when it needs to be turned off so it can tape

4) Dont ever answer my phone. Period

5) Dont tell people my bizness

6) Do bathe daily

7) Do wash your clothes...the stank don't go away when you take them off

8) Do wash your bedding regularly. Especially if you engage in sexual acts with numerous partners

9) Do clean up behind yourself

10) Do not borrow money then "forget" to pay it back
Old 01-13-2002, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Angry Nasty roommates XXXposed part 7...

Ooooh, I had some coool ones with triflin' habits:

1. Don't start having sex in the room with your boyfriend while I'm there. (I'm like - "I know I don't hear what I think I hear..." ).

2. Don't talk on the phone and laugh like a horse until 4 am in the morning. Some of us actually went to college to attend early classes if we had them and pass.

3. Don't go out drinking Mad Dog 20/20 if you can't hang 'cause I told you I ain't cleanin' no puke. Serves you right.

4. Don't eat up all of my "goodies" that my moms sends me that I freely store in the "junk food closet", then when yours comes, store it in your friend's room.

5. Don't store your dirty underwear in the drawer, then grab those bad boys like they're clean when you come out of the shower!

6. DON'T BORROW MY UNDERWEAR! Borrow and underwear are like oxymorons.

Number 1, I shouldn't have to set this rule. Number 2, wash yours!, nasty self!, and Number 3, definately don't wear someone else's if you run out! Did I say, Nasty?

7. Puhhlease don't let your friends "borrow" my stuff when I'm not even there.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Do put your nasty dirty stained brown-in-the-crotch panties in the hamper where they belong!....Not on the floor....

Do develop a mutual respect for one another.

Do inform me if you're going to have a guest of the opposite sex.

Do understand that we've both brought larger electronics and appliances for the both of us to use. If you are stingy with your tv, I'll throw your stuff out my mini-fridge.

Do take a message if my friend calls while I'm out and I'll do the same.

Do where headphones while listening to music when you see me on the other side of the room tryin to write a paper.

Do not go out drinking knowing you only weigh 95lbs then come back drunk and sick the next day expecting sympathy.

Do not assume that just cause you are "free" with your personal stuff means I'll be "free" with mine.

more to come...
Old 01-14-2002, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
See these are the reasons I am soooooo glad that I never had a roommate in college. Yes I was fortunate enough to have a single the entire time I was in school.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 01-14-2002, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

its really not ALL that bad @ kiml22.

I've had only 2 roommates and both of them were fantastic. I'm actually speechless by these rules . What kind of sickos are invading our college campuses??!!

And, the one semester that I did opt for a single, I found that was kinda lonely.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a "horrible" living situation last school year, and I vowed never to live with another non-family, trifiling female ever again....

The one thing I asked of her, was to:

NOT COMB her raggedy, split-end, hair in the bathroom, and not clean it up!!!

If she had to wash, blowdry and curl you hair every day, to the point where it is breaking off in the bathroom (that I clean), she could have at least picked up the broken mess that was her hair...not that was triflin'

Oh, and another thing, when it's that time of the month, please dispose of your sanitary necessities in a "sanitary" manner!! All of my senses should not alert me that you are on your monthly...
Old 01-14-2002, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 2DISCRETE4U
Well I had no less than 2-3 roommates all 4 years of college! I still talk to some but others just worked my LAST nerve!
Fortunately, during the last 3 years we all had our own rooms and bathrooms so I didn't have to worry about that.
BUT HOW ABOUT....
If you eat something, what's so hard about rinsing it off and putting it in the DISHWASHER!

DO NOT eat my food! I don't care if you let any and everybody eat your food, but that doesn't go for my stuff! If you ask BEFORE you take, then that's a different story.

If you wash your clothes, DON'T leave them in the washing machine for several days to the point where you have to rewash them to get the mildew smell out!

When listening to music, can you actually be in the room while doing it? My one roommate would blast her music, leave and lock her door so we couldn't even get in her room to turn it down.

How about...if I tell you that MY boyfriend is coming over, can you not walk around half naked when he gets there and then proceed to TRY and flirt with him! Yall know I had to CHECK that one forreal!

I'm just going to stop now before I really start to vent!
Old 01-14-2002, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by straightBOS
its really not ALL that bad @ kiml22.

And, the one semester that I did opt for a single, I found that was kinda lonely.
The 3 semesters (half of sophomore yr and all of junior yr) I DID have my apartment to myself was HEAVEN. I am an only child so living with someone else took some getting used to. My first 2 roomates were cool. In fact my roomate sophomore year was my ls but she transferred second semester.

Unfortunately, in my senior year, the school assigned me a roomate since my apartment was a 2-bedroom. We thought we would get along because we hung out with the same people, were in the same class, had closely related majors and had similar upbringing. Well, folks, we couldn't have been more mistaken! We were okay in Sept but by Nov, we came just short of physical blows. Both our parents complained to the school and she moved to an apartment down the hall. WHEW!
Old 01-14-2002, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I got one!!!

When I do you a favor and let you have the room, do me a favor… don’t let me come back to find you and your crusty man in MY bed. WTF!??!? Why ya’ll!?!?!?

Now this was years ago... but I still get the shakes!