GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,399
0 members and 1,399 guests
No Members online

Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 PM

Barnard Voting on Possible Recognition of Sororities

exlurker sent me a notice that Barnard College is voting on whether to allow sororities on their campus again or not. With many members of Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Epsilon Phi on GC, I didn't want to bury this notice in the regular Colonization/Expansion thread.

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/201...ing-sororities

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Except for the possible refoundings of several alpha chapters, what difference would this make? Barnard girls are allowed to join CU sororities are they not? Will that change if Barnard has its own?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering the same thing. Columbia has 4 NPC sororities, 2 NPHC sororities, one Asian sorority, and 4 Latina organizations. Most chapters have a 50-50 mix and there doesn't seem like there's any demand for campus expansion. Barnard isn't the only women's college that does not recognize sororities--Wellesley doesn't, but the Harvard-Wellesley-MIT* chapter of AKA exists and seems to be pretty popular.

But then, I read the article.

"Recognition would give sororities stronger financial support from Barnard as well as greater access to event spaces and other campus services.

According to its constitution, SGA cannot recognize groups that choose members on a “discriminatory basis.” Last year, though, SGA donated $1,000 to support students involved in Greek organizations through the Panhellenic Council, one of three councils that make up the IGC."

*I know that there are technicalities about this chapter and what school officially holds the charter. In the interest of brevity, and since it's outside the point of this article, I chose not to elaborate.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

haha, Munchkin and Vito summed up my sentiments: there are chapters that Barnard women can join (and do) through Columbia, but I see how this can open up resources (ie expansion in the case that Columbia is not, finances)

I wonder if housing is an option here via Barnard (I don't know if the current NPC sororities have housing, but I'm curious).
Old 11-28-2010, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

haha, Munchkin and Vito summed up my sentiments: there are chapters that Barnard women can join (and do) through Columbia, but I see how this can open up resources (ie expansion in the case that Columbia is not, finances)

I wonder if housing is an option here via Barnard (I don't know if the current NPC sororities have housing, but I'm curious).
Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it more than a little humorous that an all female, highly selective school says there cannot be groups that are discriminatory!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw this a while ago and thought it was interesting. It would be awesome if some day we could have our Alpha chapter back, but I'm not holding my breath.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post

The NPC chapters do have housing. It ranges from brownstones to set-aside spaces within campus dorms.

I think this is recognition in order to get more resources and not necessarily for expansion. There's just not the demand for another NPC group; with the real estate situation being the way that it is, a new group may be at a major disadvantage.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Update
The Columbia student paper reports that sororities will get "stage one" (not full) recognition, followed by other steps toward full recognition. Apparently the main significance of all this, at least at present, is use of facilities, some funding, ability to publicize on Barnard's campus, and so on.

The complexities of student group funding at Barnard, as well as the relationship between Columbia and Barnard, are not my field of expertise at all, so read the article (link below) and any posts we get from people who know what is what on those campuses.

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/201...ion-sororities