GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,443
2 members and 1,441 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-13-2008, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

A Juicy Small-School Recruitment Story! Fall 2007

I really want to share my Recruitment story! There were so many ups and downs, it was really crazy. I have made this new username as to hide who I really am.

I'm going to preface this with a disclaimer: My school is small, and so is Greek Life, therefore I'm going to have to leave out details. There's certain things that a person who knows my school could pick out and would point right to me! And sorry, but I won't reveal my code for the same reason.

There are 3 Panhellenic sororities on my campus. I'm naming them after types of pop.

Coke
Pepsi
Sprite

Pre-Recruitment Happenings

I was a legacy to two groups, Fanta and Mountain Dew, but they didn't have chapters on my campus. My mom really encouraged me to go Greek because she loved it, so I signed up for Recruitment as soon as possible. I knew of only three other girls on my floor who were rushing, and so we were excited! When the Greek Life brochures came in our mail, we poured over them - it listed colors, mascots, and there were cute pictures from events. From reading this brochure we all decided that we wanted to join either Pepsi or Coke.

I called my mom and told her about the different groups. She cautioned me to wait for the actual parties to decide which group I wanted, but obviously I didn't listen to her.

The party scene at my school really revolves around Greek Life. The weekend before recruitment started, one of the girls on my floor whom i'd gotten pretty close with asked me to go to a party with her and a couple of her guy friends. The guys were all rushing one of the fraternities, and she said they needed to bring hot girls to tonight's party. I was excited because this was the first party i'd heard of at my school! So we went to the party.

When we got there we saw two groups of girls - the guys said they were Pepsis and Cokes! He told us they would be watching us all night. One of the guys already in a Fraternity said not to drink too much and DON'T talk to them. My friend didn't listen and ended up dancing on the bar. I held back and talked to some guys who said they were rushing one of the other frats on campus.

Finally it was time for the pre-recruitment social! We were excited to meet our Rho Chis and get into our Rho Chi groups. What we didn't know is that all the sororities would be there too! We walk up wearing the clothes we wore to class and there are TONS of girls wearing lettered shirts! We both are really scared, but then we see our Freshman Orientation leader - wearing a nametag that says "PEPSI - President"!! In our minds, we were so relieved and excited about the prospect of being a Pepsi. We talked to her and a few other Pepsi and Cokes, and then we had to go get into our groups. The whole event was really uncomfortable now that I think about it and probably broke a few rules too - ALL the PNMs and ALL the sorority women together at one time? It was chaos.

Our Rho Chi groups were divided up, and I had no close friends in mine. We went to talk about the rules of recruitment. They really focused on the rules regarding oral bidding and what is classified as "dirty rush". We were given a piece of paper and told to make a collage that tells about ourselves and bring it with us on the second night. We walked back to the dorm giggling about the nights ahead and how excited we were that our Orientation leader was the president of Pepsi.

Before recruitment began, these were my opinions of the sororities:
1. Pepsi- Fun, cute, trendy, liked by the Fraternity boys
2. Coke - All-American girls, wore a lot of makeup, "Southern"
3. Sprite - Not interested at all. Nothing about them stood out to me before Recruitment began.

to be continued...

Last edited by daisy7289; 12-13-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

yay a new story!! Im rooting for Pepsi since its so yummy
Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy7289 View Post
I really want to share my Recruitment story! There were so many ups and downs, it was really crazy. I have made this new username as to hide who I really am.

I'm going to preface this with a disclaimer: My school is small, and so is Greek Life, therefore I'm going to have to leave out details. There's certain things that a person who knows my school could pick out and would point right to me! And sorry, but I won't reveal my code for the same reason.

There are 3 Panhellenic sororities on my campus. I'm naming them after types of pop.

Coke
Pepsi
Sprite

Pre-Recruitment Happenings

I was a legacy to two groups, Fanta and Mountain Dew, but they didn't have chapters on my campus. My mom really encouraged me to go Greek because she loved it, so I signed up for Recruitment as soon as possible. I knew of only three other girls on my floor who were rushing, and so we were excited! When the Greek Life brochures came in our mail, we poured over them - it listed colors, mascots, and there were cute pictures from events. From reading this brochure we all decided that we wanted to join either Pepsi or Coke.

I called my mom and told her about the different groups. She cautioned me to wait for the actual parties to decide which group I wanted, but obviously I didn't listen to her.

The party scene at my school really revolves around Greek Life. The weekend before recruitment started, one of the girls on my floor whom i'd gotten pretty close with asked me to go to a party with her and a couple of her guy friends. The guys were all rushing one of the fraternities, and she said they needed to bring hot girls to tonight's party. I was excited because this was the first party i'd heard of at my school! So we went to the party.

When we got there we saw two groups of girls - the guys said they were Pepsis and Cokes! He told us they would be watching us all night. One of the guys already in a Fraternity said not to drink too much and DON'T talk to them. My friend didn't listen and ended up dancing on the bar. I held back and talked to some guys who said they were rushing one of the other frats on campus.

Finally it was time for the pre-recruitment social! We were excited to meet our Rho Chis and get into our Rho Chi groups. What we didn't know is that all the sororities would be there too! We walk up wearing the clothes we wore to class and there are TONS of girls wearing lettered shirts! We both are really scared, but then we see our Freshman Orientation leader - wearing a nametag that says "PEPSI - President"!! In our minds, we were so relieved and excited about the prospect of being a Pepsi. We talked to her and a few other Pepsi and Cokes, and then we had to go get into our groups. The whole event was really uncomfortable now that I think about it and probably broke a few rules too - ALL the PNMs and ALL the sorority women together at one time? It was chaos.

Our Rho Chi groups were divided up, and I had no close friends in mine. We went to talk about the rules of recruitment. They really focused on the rules regarding oral bidding and what is classified as "dirty rush". We were given a piece of paper and told to make a collage that tells about ourselves and bring it with us on the second night. We walked back to the dorm giggling about the nights ahead and how excited we were that our Orientation leader was the president of Pepsi.

Before recruitment began, these were my opinions of the sororities:
1. Pepsi- Fun, cute, trendy, liked by the Fraternity boys
2. Coke - All-American girls, wore a lot of makeup, "Southern"
3. Sprite - Not interested at all. Nothing about them stood out to me before Recruitment began.

to be continued...
When I went through recruitment, one of my good friends was in my Rho Chi group. We ended up choosing two different sororities (against my friends wishes, she wanted whatever sorority I chose), and now she isn't my friend. lol

Last edited by epchick; 12-13-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I love this alias trend! Can't wait to hear more!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

In honor of Leslie Anne's Recruitment Thread

I thought we needed some pictures!

Nothing Else is a Pepsi

The Coke Side of Life

Obey your thirst
Old 12-14-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok, I am little confused...your Rho Chi had a badge saying she was the president of Pepsi???

Besides my confusion this is a great story....please continue!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
Ok, I am little confused...your Rho Chi had a badge saying she was the president of Pepsi???

Besides my confusion this is a great story....please continue!
No...her Freshman Orientation leader turned out to be the Pepsi president.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-14-2008, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

cant wait to hear the reast im getting ready to rush at my school so I love reading all of these stories
Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
anybody home?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

coming back to us soon i hope!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
Come back soon! I am routing for Sprite! It's my fav and I love an underdog!

J2
ΣАІ
ΚΚΨ
University of Kentucky
Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to take such a long break from my story! Major things happened in my life over the break and I am just now able to get back here and update you all!

We left off just before round 1, I think!

ROUND 1 - Philanthropy

I waited frantically for the mail to come that day - I had my mom mail me my Citizens of Humanity jeans that I REALLY wanted to wear that night! So once the mail came and I had my lucky jeans I was ready to go. We met up with our Rho Chis about 45 minutes before the parties began. I really liked my Rho Chis - one was one of my leaders when I came to Summer registration.

Party 1 - Pepsi

All 40 of us lined up in alphabetical order and my friend was the first to go in the door! We were so excited and nervous. Pepsi's room (all groups' rooms were assigned in a rotating manner every year, Panhel stressed) was definitely the prettiest, it had wood-paneled walls and carpet that matched one of their colors. Some girls were really startled by the loud cheering as we walked in the room. I had a hard time hearing what people were saying because there were about ninety girls altogether in the room! Pepsi's president waved to me from across the room, but she never came over to say hi. I really enjoyed Pepsi's philanthropy, but the craft was a little weird. It involved puffy paint and glitter, and we were encouraged to write their letters and symbols on the item (unfortunately it would give the group away if I said what it was!). It took a while for me to get into the groove of talking about myself but I really enjoyed the party. Everyone wore their "jerseys" this night and I liked the colors on Pepsi's.

Party 2 - Sprite

It was time for our second party, Sprite. We walked in to more cheering. Sprite's room was the plainest of the three, a white-walled multipurpose room. I understood why Panhel was stressing to us that the rooms are rotated yearly, because this room was so boring! Their theme was cute and revolved around their colors. I sat down with a cute girl and we talked and made good conversation - she really tried to connect with me. The second girl, however, said she was really tired and didn't want to be there. She talked about how she liked hockey. I couldn't get past the fact that she had a really dark upper lip that looked like a moustache. The third girl I talked to was heavyset - not a typical sorority girl to me, but we connected so well! The craft was making bracelets and it was perfect with their theme. At this party the girls were "double rushing" - two PNMs to one active. I noticed and was told by the actives that they were the smallest and newest group. I thought their jerseys were kind of ugly. As we left the room, the girl in front of me laughed, turned to the rest of the Rho Chi group, and said "Well, THAT was awkward. Now we know which group WE don't want".

Party 3 - Coke

We trekked all the way across campus to Coke's room. Their cheer was really loud and REALLY cocky - it was about being the best. That turned me off a little. Their room was all decked out in their colors and they were dressed perfectly, head to toe. They wore denim skirts with their jerseys instead of jeans like the other groups. We had pretty good conversation, but it wasn't memorable. I remember sitting in their room and thinking that I really wanted to be like these girls. Their craft was cute, but I can't tell you what it was because I think it is national. The room was huge and had pillars - it was so pretty. Some of the girls I talked to this night were a little dense but I still liked them a lot.

After Pepsi, we went back to the student center, went over dress and theme for the next day, and were told not to talk to each other about the parties and were sent home. We would visit all three again tomorrow.
My favorites at the end of the night:

1. Pepsi
2. Coke
3. Sprite

Last edited by daisy7289; 01-13-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

YAY FOR RETURNING! UPDATE SOON!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Boo on Coke being cocky! Coke IS the best...and they should know it!!!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
I understood why Panhel was stressing to us that the rooms are rotated yearly, because this room was so boring!
I totally understand that! Chapters at my school are unhoused, but we used to have to fight each other for the best rooms. I wonder if things would have been different if we'd had a rotation schedule...

Quote:
The second girl, however, said she was really tired and didn't want to be there.
Woah, tacky much?

Quote:
I couldn't get past the fact that she had a really dark upper lip that looked like a moustache.
This made me crack up! I also sometimes fixate on things like that - a mole, a unibrow, chin hairs - and it's all I can think about. Pretty soon the person just becomes a talking unibrow, or whatever.

Quote:
As we left the room, the girl in front of me laughed, turned to the rest of the Rho Chi group, and said "Well, THAT was awkward. Now we know which group WE don't want".
I hope the Rho Chi heard her and ratted her out. That's an awful thing to say. What about the PNMs who did connect with Sprite? How would that make them feel? Someone needs a big kick in the pants.

I rarely post in these threads, but I'm really enjoying this one.