GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,513
2 members and 1,511 guests
PhoenixAttain, Phrozen Sands

Old 12-09-2008, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Advice for a new initiated member

I am a freshman at a university and I just became an initiated member of a sorority. Going through rush I felt pressured to join the house I am in because my best friend was already an active member in the chapter (she's a year older). Unfortunately, I'm starting to think this isn't the house for me. I am going to give it some more time, of course, and see how it all plays out. At this point though, I am just wondering what my options are. If I do end up leaving the sorority I am in now, is it possible for me to join another house on campus? Because there are two houses that I would like to give another chance, unfortunately I'm scared that this might not be allowed. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are in a NPC sorority, then there is absolutely NO possibility that you could join another NPC sorority if you dropped.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly24 View Post
I am a freshman at a university and I just became an initiated member of a sorority. Going through rush I felt pressured to join the house I am in because my best friend was already an active member in the chapter (she's a year older). Unfortunately, I'm starting to think this isn't the house for me. I am going to give it some more time, of course, and see how it all plays out. At this point though, I am just wondering what my options are. If I do end up leaving the sorority I am in now, is it possible for me to join another house on campus? Because there are two houses that I would like to give another chance, unfortunately I'm scared that this might not be allowed. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Since you have been initiated, you cannot join another NPC sorority. Definitely give it time, you are already initiated so you might as well stick around. Try to bond with your pledge sisters and big sister, I would probably even tell your big sister your concerns and see what she has to say.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cali_gossip
Give it time and definitely try to talk to your big or pledge mom about how you feel (don't tell them you wanna join another house though!). I kind of felt the same way after initiation but I think I was feeling like that because the new member period is hard and gets to be overwhelming. See how things go for a while to see if you warm up to it but like epchick and twinkle 555 mentioned, if you're in an NPC sorority, you can't join another one.

DZ
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your advice all of you! I'm going to talk to my big and some of my sisters and let them know how I'm feeling..thanks again!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly24 View Post
Yep, what the others have said.

You have two options though -- 1) Stick it out, and remember that sisterhood extends well beyond college. or 2) Drop, have no chance of joining another NPC, and miss out.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cali_gossip
Let us know how things work out... hopefully for the best!

DZ
Old 12-09-2008, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

If you've already been initiated, then you can't join another sorority.

Your best bet is to figure out exactly why you're unhappy and talk to someone in the chapter about it (your friend, your Big Sister, someone). Not everyone is 100% happy with everything in their sorority all the time, and chances are good that someone can relate to how you feel and help you.

Lakers Nation.