GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,165
3 members and 1,162 guests
aggieAXO

Old 05-04-2020, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

More than that too!
Old 05-04-2020, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTaalum View Post
Again if big theme parks are on the verge of opening and girls can live in a tiny dorm room next to each other stacked on top of each other than sorority recruitment can go on. The average person has over a 98% chance of surviving this virus so your "worth killing " comment is a little dramatic.

Until you have experienced recruitment or a bid day at a big SEC school you can't possibly understand how much of a Greek life killer winter recruitment would be to these campuses. I know girls who choose schools like Alabama over schools like OSU, Uof M and many others simply based on the Greek life there. Silly maybe but it's a big factor.
If I'm being dramatic, you are being sanctimonious.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

This may sound like an unorthodox way of looking at it; but, I wonder if some families might think it an *advantage* to participate in SEC recruitment this fall. The advantage being that, if there are less PNMs going through, due to concerns over COVID19 or less family resources, then their daughter might stand a better chance.

True and Constant
Old 05-04-2020, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
This may sound like an unorthodox way of looking at it; but, I wonder if some families might think it an *advantage* to participate in SEC recruitment this fall. The advantage being that, if there are less PNMs going through, due to concerns over COVID19 or less family resources, then their daughter might stand a better chance.

I would hope not but nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
If I'm being dramatic, you are being sanctimonious.
That was not my intention so I apologize for that.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The unhoused sororities at Stanford are currently holding virtual informal recruitment.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone read through this yet? It is very interesting......all of the virtual recruiting sounds difficult. Maybe for 1st round, but past that?? Viable options certainly, but definitely sad for the class of 2020 that has already lost so much.

https://www.npcwomen.org/wp-content/...nhellenics.pdf
Old 05-12-2020, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHomeStL View Post
Anyone read through this yet? It is very interesting......all of the virtual recruiting sounds difficult. Maybe for 1st round, but past that??
Agree. I can't imagine how virtual recruitment would work unless it's for very small chapters, but definitely not for chapters at major campuses.

The virus has broken out again in Wuhan and I suspect it will increase in places opening now, so I think there's a likelihood that rush will be deferred until January and some colleges may choose to wait until then to go back to in-person classes. "Adults" aren't obeying the rules (masks, distancing) in places that are re-opening so I doubt students will do so based on pics of friends' college kids socializing in large groups at home - no masks, no distancing. A restaurant in a Denver suburb opened for Mother's Day - no masks, no distancing, no separation of tables. Unbelievable.

Read enough about the future with the virus and until there's a vaccine, life will look very, very different and I think colleges are preparing for drastic changes due to that.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DGator View Post
The unhoused sororities at Stanford are currently holding virtual informal recruitment.
3DGator, first - I'm not attacking you! I'm sharing this from the Stanford admissions page so other people reading have some perspective:

Overview for the Class of 2022
Total Applicants: 47,451
Total Admits: 2,071
Total Enrolled: 1,706

First-Year Enrolled Student Profile for the Class of 2022
Class Overview
63 home countries and 50 US states are represented
11.4% are international citizens representing 60 countries
17.5% are first generation college students

Gender Balance
Women: 49%
Men: 51%

My point? First, of the 1700 freshmen, approximately 850 are women. I am more than reasonably certain that with deferred recruitment (which Stanford has), the sororities are familiar with the pool of PNMs. It is a very small university. No way this would work at Arizona. Or Alabama. Or... fill in the blank.

Brings me to say "ditto and perfectly stated and thank you" to NYCMS for everything she wrote. A while back in this thread I made a similar comment about the virus. Suck it up people, we're in for a long siege.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-12-2020, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

After skimming the new NPC report, I am dismayed at the setting of Total to be the same as Fall 2019. There is no doubt that most chapters will have a higher than usual summer attrition and the pool of PNMs will be smaller. So the “top tier” chapters will be able to take a much higher percentage of PNMs. I am certain this will be the death knell of many “lower tier “ chapters.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

The 23-campus California State University system plans to all but cancel in-person classes in the fall and instead will offer instruction primarily online, Chancellor Timothy White announced Tuesday.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
After skimming the new NPC report, I am dismayed at the setting of Total to be the same as Fall 2019. There is no doubt that most chapters will have a higher than usual summer attrition and the pool of PNMs will be smaller. So the “top tier” chapters will be able to take a much higher percentage of PNMs. I am certain this will be the death knell of many “lower tier “ chapters.
Why would you assume the the top tier chapters would have greater attrition? The lower tier ones might be already below total and the top tier ones above. If you're already 20 down and lose another 20, that's 40. If a top tier is above total and loses 20, then they don't get to take as many. This would seem to benefit the smaller chapters/

Last edited by Titchou; 05-13-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trymeplease View Post
The 23-campus California State University system plans to all but cancel in-person classes in the fall and instead will offer instruction primarily online, Chancellor Timothy White announced Tuesday.
That is so unfortunate for those students and I think at this point a little premature. I also don't think it will be the presidence for other states. I was looking at one states phased reopening planning and by July 4th they will hopefully be in their final phase which is basically all systems a go and no longer a need for social distancing so for them there would be no need for classes not to meet on campus in the fall.

I read through the scenarios/suggestions put out by NPC and I am sorry if you have to have a bid day virtually you should just wait until you can do it safely in person. I will be honest most of their suggestions take away from the recruitment experience many go to the big schools for.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
The whole Recruitment update document provided by NPC is about as clear as mud.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I work at a university and there are ton of variables in play. Even as some states are opening up freely, leadership at institutions have to make their own decisions. Tuition projections are hard to make because no one has a hold of how many students will not return, defer in the fall or transfer. Many states are cutting funding to public institutions. A lot of institutions are trying to preserve funds early and project budgets based on those possibilities. Just like any other industry, some universities have a better hold on their finances compared to others. I’ve seen some colleges make small cuts to faculty and staff wages, some have laid off staff and some are getting rid of entire academic programs and athletics teams. One small school already closed for good. Unfortunately, one size does not fit all.

Social distancing isn’t going anywhere for awhile and that causes issues with residence halls, as well as the safety and protection of all students, faculty and staff, especially those who have health issues, in offices with high traffic or teach larger classes in lecture halls.

I feel awful for those who are in the balance in regards with how to do recruitment moving forward, since I know the in person aspect is extremely important throughout that period of time. I hope that leadership can find the best solution to allow them get that experience (and not lose money). I know that the NPHC orgs have a lot of challenges to figure out too.

I don’t envy college leadership at all, because it’s hard to make decisions when things are constantly changing. I am hoping that we can go back to normal way sooner than later!

Last edited by PersistentDST; 05-13-2020 at 06:13 PM.