GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,453
4 members and 1,449 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Phrozen Sands

Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Oh...dad gum, I forgot about that aspect!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep.
It seems to be: Beta Sigma Phi is not a member of NPC/IFC/NALFO/NPHC. No actual title IX exemption stamped by the US Department of Education.

Since we don't have the first, we couldn't be recognized as Greek. If we're not recognized as Greek, then we would be unable to use a Title IX exemption, even if we had one in hand.

The organizations that exist as Greek on campus were grandfathered in before these rule changes.

Another suggestion that was offered to us is that we petition to affiliate with a different Greek Organization that meets both criteria.....the mere mention of that resulted in *That look* from myself and my sisters.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
Yep.
It seems to be: Beta Sigma Phi is not a member of NPC/IFC/NALFO/NPHC. No actual title IX exemption stamped by the US Department of Education.

Since we don't have the first, we couldn't be recognized as Greek. If we're not recognized as Greek, then we would be unable to use a Title IX exemption, even if we had one in hand.

The organizations that exist as Greek on campus were grandfathered in before these rule changes.

Another suggestion that was offered to us is that we petition to affiliate with a different Greek Organization that meets both criteria.....the mere mention of that resulted in *That look* from myself and my sisters.
Why?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree. First of all, I understand you are excited about BSP and the FV, and you are really excited to be in a sorority after the disappointment during your fall NPC recruitment. You found a great organization in BSP, regardless of whether you would have joined an NPC.

This isn't intended to sound harsh, but here are the facts. You haven't been a BSP for very long, so I think you're being a bit dramatic about your loyalty and love for the organization. I'm not saying you don't love it or you're not dedicated to it, but you've only been a member for a few months and you've been pretty much on your own with a few friends who have agreed to join or who are excited to join. If, out of 80 interests, 33 women who were offered bids declined (except one who's on board in name only until her schedule improves?), that should tell you that there isn't that kind of demand on your campus for this group. You're also trying to shoehorn a community sorority into your vision of an NPC, and clearly the infrastructure is not there and that is not BSP's intent.

This suggestion to affiliate doesn't impact your membership one bit. You have only a few members and your membership isn't compromised by the suggestion. Additionally, even if your group were absorbed by another, you could all retain membership in BSP/recruit them for BSP. BSP is not a local; it's a national non-collegiate sorority and its members may have dual membership in an NPC or other national collegiate organization.

If you're looking for an opportunity to recognized by campus, this is the way to go. A national collegiate organization would provide the stability and support you felt was lacking in BSP. I would follow their advice. You have absolutely nothing to lose and it won't affect your current membership because you may have concurrent membership.

Last edited by adpiucf; 02-21-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

It may be a possibility....and I can definitely see it that way.

Last edited by misscherrypie; 02-21-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Being frank
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
And I think this may be the source of some of her frustration.

I want her to be successful too.

I think if Nevada Nu had more physical assistance, then they would know how and what to do to specifically market BSP to the collegiate students. I am guessing that the reason so many bids were not accepted was because maybe some of the women realized BSP is not what they thought it might be (like a NPC org). But, if they (MCP and the female students) had a better understanding of what BSP is, then she may have had more to join.

True, but at some point everyone needs training about their org. That's why so many companies and schools have professional development training sessions for their employees. That employee may have leadership experience, but they will still need to be trained on the company structure and expectations.

Same is true for GLOs. I know that my GLO, SGR, is constantly offering leadership training. It is especially expected if you are planning on being an officer, or you are already an officer. Polices and procedures can change quickly to address the issues of RM, membership intake, and by-laws changes.
Good points all around. The marketing of the sorority is a biggie. Beta Sigma Phi is probably a new concept for most college women these days. AND I like what you are saying about training. When I first joined BSP, there was a pledge training video series available for purchase from the Gift Shop. I bet a video series available online would be well received by our younger members.
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
Mostly it's the fact that we wouldn't be allowed to recruit or fundraise on campus without paying a large amount of money (that we don't have) and other orgs wouldn't be able to partner with us in our activities.
I'm confused again. How were you just able to do all that recruiting on campus if this is so?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
I'm confused again. How were you just able to do all that recruiting on campus if this is so?
Glad I'm not the only one feeling a bit confused about all of this.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Another club put the tabling under their name on our behalf and let us use the table. Which, as we were told today...isn't actually allowed. So, we couldn't go that route again. Non campus recognized orgs have to pay $120 per day to table in front of the Student Union and are required to have an insurance policy. We don't have either of those.

I had to pay the university to be allowed to have our fliers and info cards on campus....in fact, the cost of recruitment (paying for Zumba entrance, the Starbucks and Einsteins Bagels for rush events, the copying and posters) totaled several hundred dollars of my own funds, and while much was learned....it was disheartening to put all that effort and funds forth in return for not much success. I'm out of money.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
It seems to me like you're putting a TON of effort and money into a population that is VERY small at your campus (students your age looking to join a greek organization). Are there nearby schools that you could try to find non-traditional students at? (in a less expensive way?) or a way to appeal to other mid 20's - mid 30's members of the community at large?

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

there is a community college in town,which has a large population. That's where Sophie is a student. I'm not sure of the demographics there, but assume a larger population of non traditional students.

The weird thing is that our other student members are traditional students and are all 21 and under.

The others are a recent graduate who is also in her very early twenties, Sophie who is slightly younger than I and Michelle who is even older than I....but only by a few years.

International did send a list of our registered local legacies (contact info was out of date for them....hello hours on the telephone) , a list of locally registered members at large, and a short list of women who are interested in joining Beta Sigma Phi to use in efforts to meet additional potential members. We are using these lists, and hopefully...some good will come out of them.

I'd like to contact our city council and get some feedback from them.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
The lists given to us from Intl were great - I have 4 members of my chapter from the list, and it is also how I met Jamie, one of my best BSP friends <3 when Erica and I founded the Pgh chapter.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The main issue that others have seen with the MAL list has been that 99.9% of it consists of higher degreed sisters who have been Beta Sigma Phis for 20+ years and some even longer than I have been alive and are considerably older. We could definitely use the expertise and wise counsel....but at the same time....we really would like our chapter to be college focused. Of course....part of us says.....why not? They can get involved with Beta Sigma Phi again, we can meet new Beta Sigma Phis and together we can grow our FV.

Only two numbers on the Legacy list were accurate, and both women had no interest in becoming involved with Beta Sigma Phi at this time.

I'm still waiting on hearing back from the women listed on the Prospective members list. There are three.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

That all sucks. I'm sorry. You can't advertise through the school, but doesn't social media rule the world these days? You absolutely have to stop paying money from your own funds, but I would think you could market heavily through Facebook et al, and have your events wherever you can get away with it. And use what makes BSP different to your advantage. You aren't restricted to undergrads or students at other schools and that can be a good thing. You are going after a more "seasoned" student and they don't have the opportunities your 18 year compatriots do. And the good news is you can see the difference so they're easy to target! You can start a whisper campaign using your sorority and fraternity friends and get a lot done in terms of exposure.

Best of luck. You know we're all rooting for you!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Does your school have any clubs or orgs specifically for non-traditional students? Consider reaching out to these clubs to attract members.