GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 981
0 members and 981 guests
No Members online

Old 07-01-2001, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lone Dog:
[B]ROOOOOO Sorors

I am feeling the Keys' CD....

But it won't replace my Jill Scott or Badu

BE OUT

Fa Sho Fa Sho!!

I so love Erykah Badu and Jill Scott. i have all of Erykah's CD's and i'm just waiting for another Jill Scott. i Heard jill's CD on Napster and ran to the stores to get it the next day. i so love her CD.

Old 07-02-2001, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 1Babygirl2000 Send a message via Yahoo to 1Babygirl2000
Cool

I just bought Alicia's CD yesterday and I must say it is very tight!! My roommate also saw her perform in NY this past weekend and said she is AMAZING!
Old 07-02-2001, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I am really feeling Alicia Keys new CD as well! They are playing it a lot on all the black radio stations here. I can't wait to get my copy.
I am glad she wrote all of her songs. That will give her an edge in the music industry.
Old 07-02-2001, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I got the CD! It is "OFF THE HOOK"! I bought the last one at Target! It won't replace my Jill Scott either..They are really two different artist on the real! I love the cover of "Never Felt This Way" (Brian McKnight)!

------------------
22-IN-F99
MISS P.R.I.S.S.
OOOOOO-OOOOOOOP!!
Old 07-03-2001, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Well girl, not only is she getting air time on the black radio stations in my city, she is also getting air time on the white ones as well; that increases her marketeability and crossover appeal. The day her cd came out when my roomate went to circuit city to get her copy she said that there were tons of white people in there trying to get Alicia's cd as well. I think she appeals to everybody because she almost has a sort of rock like appeal to her; she's not as earthy as Badu!

[This message has been edited by Conspiracy2 (edited July 02, 2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

i bought the cd today and it is the B-O-M-B!!!
Old 07-14-2001, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

i know i'm late (money be too funny), but it is definitely worth the wait. the girl is talented!!! i'm really liking troubles, the life and mr. man...heck, i like the whole ding dang cd!!!
Old 07-14-2001, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Meezdiscreet:

I am feeling Troubles and The Life as well as well as the Brian McKnight remake AND Buttaflyz!!!!! That CD is in constant rotation at home AND in the car! I went to the M.A.C. counter today and they were jamming it... HELLO! Homegirl waited like 2 years but now she is prepared (per her intro to the CD). She ain't neva lied.

Quote:
Originally posted by MeezDiscreet:
i know i'm late (money be too funny), but it is definitely worth the wait. the girl is talented!!! i'm really liking troubles, the life and mr. man...heck, i like the whole ding dang cd!!!

[This message has been edited by DSTPRL (edited July 14, 2001).]
Old 07-15-2001, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

BOUT TIME
Old 07-15-2001, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
Ok let me be the devils advocate here.

I read someone said that white people are diggin her too. Do you think it's more because of her talent or it has something to do with that she's light skinned and pretty? Yeah Erykah is a bit earthy now and Jill Scott is just plain the bomb, but do they fit into white society's perception of beauty? The same could be argued for Beyonce.

I haven't bought the CD yet, but I do know that if I hear Fallen one more gin, I'ma pop! I do like the song girlfriend very much tho.

QTE
Old 07-15-2001, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTAQTE:
Ok let me be the devils advocate here.

I read someone said that white people are diggin her too. Do you think it's more because of her talent or it has something to do with that she's light skinned and pretty? Yeah Erykah is a bit earthy now and Jill Scott is just plain the bomb, but do they fit into white society's perception of beauty? The same could be argued for Beyonce.

I haven't bought the CD yet, but I do know that if I hear Fallen one more gin, I'ma pop! I do like the song girlfriend very much tho.

QTE

Interesting question, soror. Alicia Keys is biracial (half black and half white). She is black nonetheless, but the mainstream is usually more at ease with images that are less afrocentric, etc. While Alicia always wears braids with beads, this may be less in-you-face (to the mainstream) than Jill's mini-fro or Erykah's bald, dreads, or wrap. Then again, the mainstream LOVED Lauryn Hill and she wore dreads AND was Hip-Hop(ish).
I think Alicia's CD is OKAY. I think the classicly trained pianist in her is better than her voice--she can sing too, though. I'm not a fan of Lil' Mo or her squeeky voice. However, she has a few tracks that are nice...her remake of Cindi Lauper's "Time After Time" is wonderful and made me realize that Mo CAN sing when she's not squeeking.
There is one song that made me wonder...???. FYI: She re-used a Snoop Dog beat for one of her songs...and completely misused it...terrible.

Music Analyst for GC ,
Chaos
Old 07-16-2001, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

First, I would just like to say I bought the CD and I love, love it, love it!

Ok, I would also like to comment about this.

Quote:
International, specifically in London, Alicia Keyes gets no luv at all. Skin tone has nothing to do with it. It has everything to do with her style of music. The white people over there, or Britains, don't like her because she is not pop. They love pop music. They love them some Destiny's Child, Craig David(only because he is from London), etc. They consider these artist pop.

Alicia had a concert over there a couple of weeks ago. There was no line to wait in. No red carpet treatment. Tickets were dirt cheap. She got no luv at all. But the few fans that were there enjoyed her music and her down to earth personality.

Old 08-03-2001, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Okay, folks, I finally got my copy of the Alicia Keys CD this past weekend and all I can say is that I'm very disappointed. I am just not feeling it. I listened to the CD one time straight through and did not like it. I listened to it a second time and was ready to give it back to the person who gave it to me (they didn't like it either). After one more try, I found that I did like one song on there ("Mr. Man") along with the intro and the "Never Felt This Way" interlude, but I still don't really think her CD is anywhere near off the heezzy fo' sheezzy. I think Alicia still has a lot of maturing to do both in her writing and vocally in order for her true talent to really shine through. Now, yeah I like the fact that Alicia did something unique and mixed classical with what some might call R&B, but her style still leaves much to be desired. The girl definitely has skills, though...I just think she could do more with them. I guess I'm just really disappointed b/c I heard so much good stuff about her CD only to find that it's not that great. Hopefully her next CD (if there is one) will be a lot better.

------------------
S.H.A.D.E.
10-Lambda-SP00
Memphis Alumnae Chapter
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

Lady of DSTinction

"Both tears and sweat are salty, but they render a different result. Tears will get you sympathy; sweat will get you change."
Old 08-03-2001, 10:56 AM
c&c1913

I bought Alicia's CD last weekend and I'll admit it took me a couple of days to warm up to it. But after listening to it all week at work, I must say that I like most of the songs, especially "A woman's worth" and "Mr. Man". I have to give the girl credit because she can sing and play the piano and I can't.

------------------
Spring 1997- Theta Nu
#22 "Prestigious"
24 Reflections of Perfection
Old 08-03-2001, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by c&c1913:
I bought Alicia's CD last weekend and I'll admit it took me a couple of days to warm up to it. But after listening to it all week at work, I must say that I like most of the songs, especially "A woman's worth" and "Mr. Man". I have to give the girl credit because she can sing and play the piano and I can't.

LOL! I agree soror...her CD does take a little warming up to. I have been listening to it all week as well (mostly the same songs though), and I found that "Why Do I Feel So Sad" is okay, too. Don't get me wrong, though, Alicia is definitely talented...I just don't think this CD really displays it well.

------------------
S.H.A.D.E.
10-Lambda-SP00
Memphis Alumnae Chapter
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

Lady of DSTinction

"Both tears and sweat are salty, but they render a different result. Tears will get you sympathy; sweat will get you change."

[This message has been edited by luvsong1913 (edited August 03, 2001).]