Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,409
1 members and 1,408 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-19-2002, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DOVE1920
Yes ma'm it's spelled Denim....I don't know what his full name but its in the new Ebony.

Quote:
But in response to earlier comments I guess I just don't like how we have to make our names fit society's idea of appropriate names i.e. nothing to "ethnic". I went to HS with a Korean girl who changed her name to Linda because her birth name was considered "too difficult" to pronouce. To me that is an insult to her parents who decided to name their child something different.
And I don't have a problem with ethnic names, but most of these names aren't truly "ethnic". They're creative intepretations. Again, there's nothing wrong with creativity, but just because your parents gave you a name, it doesn't mean you have to keep it. In a previous thread, someone mentioned an Asian child with the name Shithead (not pronunced the way you think it might be). Within that child's originating culture, that name might have had one meaning, but in American culture, it has a completely different one. What's wrong with giving a child one "creative" name and one less-creative one, that way when the child chooses a profession, he or she can choose which name to use?
Old 03-19-2002, 11:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOVE1920 Send a message via Yahoo to DOVE1920
Quote:
Originally posted by straightBOS

Coincidentally, I also know an Asian girl who changed her name to "Linda". In fact, I know many Asians who do that. And guess what- their parents did, also. Why? Why not. It doesn't make them any less Asian.

Now, I guess creativity is good for play. But this isn't arts and crafts, this is life. And, I can't see what harm a name that is easier to pronounce can do.

In the other thread, someof the names were just outrageous . If you need to go to those lengths to get your child noticed--then you must be over compensating for some deficiency. IMHO (of course)

I guess "George" is just a boring little insignificant name-- until you are elected president.
Whats up with the name "Linda" the girl I was talking about also used that name.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DOVE1920
Whats up with the name "Linda" the girl I was talking about also used that name.
I think that Lin is a pretty common name for Asian girls, so most just add the -da in order to make it more Western.

If any Asian girls are reading this and I'm off base, please feel free to correct me.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
Well I work at a children's hospital and I have recently been working with some kids w/interesting names. This week I have worked with a Tequila, Mercedes, Princess, and..here's the best "Baby Boy" Yes folks, his LEGAL name is babyboy. He's couple months old and I thought maybe something happened to where he wasn't given a name but nope that's his legal name given to him by his parents. I've also heard some really pretty ones too but they aren't sticking with me right now
Old 03-21-2002, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by straightBOS
I guess "George" is just a boring little insignificant name-- until you are elected president.
LOL

Probably won't name my child that b/c I don't care much for him! We were talking about that at work, not giving a child a certain name due to bad associations you have had with people by that name over the years. For example, I would NEVER name my child Marshea b/c of a past supervisor I didn't get along with. Anyone have similar feelings? Know that prob another thread, just curious?
Old 03-22-2002, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyPetite
Quote:
Originally posted by rhapsody1922

LOL

Probably won't name my child that b/c I don't care much for him! We were talking about that at work, not giving a child a certain name due to bad associations you have had with people by that name over the years. For example, I would NEVER name my child Marshea b/c of a past supervisor I didn't get along with. Anyone have similar feelings? Know that prob another thread, just curious?
I feel you on that. I have an ex, and his sister's name is so beautiful and unique to me. (Her name is Khian (pronounced K-EYE--Ann)) and because we broke up on bad terms, I would NEVER name my daughter (if I have one) Khian, or a variation, because it would remind me of him.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

The names on my personal list are Mary, Grace, Elizabeth, Caroline, Christopher, Nicholas, etc.. I always get made fun of because people say those names are too boring
Old 03-22-2002, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by zeta2001
The names on my personal list are Mary, Grace, Elizabeth, Caroline, Christopher, Nicholas, etc.. I always get made fun of because people say those names are too boring
Why should anybody make fun of you for those names? They are classic, traditional names and I would much rather name my child those than Shananashanqueesha or some dumb stuff like that.

I'd also throw in Charlotte, Cecile, Katherine, Marina, Alexandra, Vanessa, Alexander, Peter, Bradley, Michael, John, James as good choices.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladybug1116
Well I work at a children's hospital and I have recently been working with some kids w/interesting names. This week I have worked with a Tequila, Mercedes, Princess, and..here's the best "Baby Boy" Yes folks, his LEGAL name is babyboy. He's couple months old and I thought maybe something happened to where he wasn't given a name but nope that's his legal name given to him by his parents. I've also heard some really pretty ones too but they aren't sticking with me right now
OOhhhhh Chile (((fanning myself))))) I PRAY that it not that baby name!!! I too work for a health system and I have seen the name "Baby B oy" or "Baby Girl" on charts until the parents finally pick a name, but...........
maybe his parents liked the movie "Baby Boy" so much that it just stuck with them...

Can you imagine the first day of school..
Old 03-23-2002, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
Cecile
</snip>

Excellent choice, says the chick named Cecily Cecelia. ;-)
Old 03-23-2002, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rhapsody1922

LOL I agree. I work for a program that services elementary students and you wouldn't believe the ghetto names I have come across! Can you imagine a teacher their first day of school! Our people certaintly have TOO much creativity in giving names. What ever happened to the signifigance of a name? For example, my name means "she who is like the Lord." If your name is Alize you certaintly won't find that in a baby book! What would a liquior related name say about a child? Names are to give character and meaning for their life! For example, our line names identify charaterists about us. "rhapsody = elated bliss!" That's me!
I agree. If people want to choose an unusual name for their child, there are plenty in the baby name books. My name is very unusual, but it's in the books, and means "guarded by God" or "guardian". I'm not suggesting that everyone give their child a eurocentric name. My name isn't eurocentric. If that is the desire, there are baby name books that will serve that purpose. All it takes is a little bit of research.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Zetaphied
This is just my personal opinion but I am not too fond of these "ghetto" names. I just don't see why people would call their child Alize, Cristal, Boomquisha, Shanaynay or the like. I've seen people attempt to put both their name and their "baby daddies" name into one to create some monstrosity of a name for their child. In general I am not into anything that is over extravagant or exaggerated. I have always favored simplicity and elegance, but to each his own. I can't knock the Boomquisha's of the world, or the parent's who thought that name was the bomb when they bestowed it upon their child, it's simply just not me. When did some of these names start becoming so popular anyways? I don't recall going to school with anyone bearing these names until maybe 10 or 11th grade.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974

OOhhhhh Chile (((fanning myself))))) I PRAY that it not that baby name!!! I too work for a health system and I have seen the name "Baby B oy" or "Baby Girl" on charts until the parents finally pick a name, but...........
maybe his parents liked the movie "Baby Boy" so much that it just stuck with them...

Can you imagine the first day of school..
LOL! Can you imagine the rest of his life! Especially being grown and still being called baby! I feel for his girlfriend/wife! Would you take someone home to met your family with that name! I dread the thought!

Last edited by rhapsody1922; 03-26-2002 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

True Story: There is a guy at my college whose name is Kappa and he has a brother named Nupe .............( And yes their father is a Kappa)

~AUTHOR UNKNOWN~
Old 05-06-2002, 07:28 PM

i'm a bit torn on this subject

i've met a boy whose name was theophalesorance (pronounced thee-off-a-la-sore-ans) which needless to say, is a mouthful. consequently, the family called him theo for short. this may be a lil too much.

however, studies do show that people (particulary males) with uncommon names are more successful and tend to have higher positions in the business world. i've also attended many of seminars that suggest when networking to associate your name with something that will make it stand out. but this is unneccesary for someone with an uncommon name, for their name naturally stands out. but of course there are limits to the insanity.