Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,499
2 members and 1,497 guests
LaneSig, Phrozen Sands

Old 10-20-2010, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm saying I don't like doing business with organizations that don't have some level of participative leadership. I can't wholeheartedly support organizations that are operated from a top-down perspective. The issue is I have trouble giving money or time to an organization that isn't seeking to improve based on input from its stakeholders, who are alumni and undergraduates. I'm not asking for them to come calling me personally, but I would be more willing to support them if they offered everyone that opportunity.

Being four hours away from the nearest chapter has been the only thing that has kept me from interacting in that way.

And because the magazine seems extremely conservative in who they write about, it makes me wonder if the organization itself is that conservative. I haven't seen that the organization has changed much in the last 10 years as far as their programs for undergraduates, and that concerns me. It seems pretty obvious that they're not progressive.

As far as your question about if some NIC fraternities are more liberal or more conservative than others, I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe someone here does. I haven't seen a list anywhere, but I would bet that some lean more one way or the other. I'd be curious to know.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I find it hard to believe that, in the internet age, you have the ability to be involved but can't find a way to do so.

I'm not sure what you want from us. You can get involved with your organization or not. If the powers that be don't see anything wrong and don't have anyone challenging them, nothing's going to change.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, committing to a night here reading responses and sorting out my thoughts, is a smaller investment than committing to getting involved with my organization and learning the hard way about how people would respond to my ideas.

I guess I came here to try to figure out if I want to get involved again, and if so, how...

or just to share my frustrations and see if anyone felt the same way and how they've dealt with it.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

OK. Based on the length (I didn't read the entire post), it did seem like you were venting. That's cool.

Just be aware that a large chunk of our members are involved in our GLOs (even as alums), so you'll likely be encouraged to do that yourself. That's really the only way you'll be able to suggest any kind of change.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightblue View Post
Well, committing to a night here reading responses and sorting out my thoughts, is a smaller investment than committing to getting involved with my organization and learning the hard way about how people would respond to my ideas.

I guess I came here to try to figure out if I want to get involved again, and if so, how...

or just to share my frustrations and see if anyone felt the same way and how they've dealt with it.
I don't think you should. You should invest your time with orgs that match your ideals.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Haha, thanks. What's that quote from St. Francis - something about the peace to accept what we can not change...?

Seriously, thanks to everyone that responded.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And because the magazine seems extremely conservative in who they write about, it makes me wonder if the organization itself is that conservative. I haven't seen that the organization has changed much in the last 10 years as far as their programs for undergraduates, and that concerns me. It seems pretty obvious that they're not progressive.
I guess I'll state the obvious...

You know who Alumni mags write about? People who send them articles/info about themselves. How is your fraternity supposed to know what you're up to if you don't TELL them? Why not write an article about a brother you know who's a bleeding heart, barefoot, tree hugging, granola eating, green company entrepreneurial Obama lover? You don't see those articles, because those kind of people don't write articles...it might kill a tree with that extra page of paper in the mag. The people who know how to network and self-promote are the people that WILL write articles in their Fraternity's magazine (or get their assistant to do it for them), so that's WHY those are the people you read about.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 AM
GreekChat Member

This sounds like a whole lot of bitching and not any desire to do anything about it. It reminds me of the people who would sit around complaining about this or that in the chapter but wouldn't lift a finger to plan an event or do anything to help.

There are 1,001 ways to be involved with your org that don't involve a collegiate chapter.

You are expecting them to come to you asking you to do something? Get off your butt and take the initiative yourself. Organizations are dying for more volunteers.

Also, your negativity towards your fellow brothers is going to be very off-putting to others in your org. You're going to have to deal with all walks of life.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Perhaps! I've joined other groups/organizations because of their national/global outlook. If fraternities differentiated themselves by what they offer... and made this known to new members, they really could start attracting the vibe of people that they want. In 1996-1997 when I joined, there was no differentiation between fraternities other than the people who happened to be in the chapter.

But for sure, I would still have joined one of the three fraternities where I felt most comfortable with the people. The thing is, I had no information to differentiate between the three nationals. It could have been my deciding factor, if one had stood out from the others. But at that time, they were all the same, or at least marketing themselves all the same way.

Being in my fraternity didn't preclude me from being close friends with people from other fraternities and non-Greeks. The friendships I have with my fraternity brothers are special because of who they are and the experiences we have had together, but, had I met them in daily life on campus there's a good chance we would have been friends anyway.

When your national fraternity doesn't seem to welcome written contributions to their magazine, doesn't have op-eds, doesn't have a forum on their website for alumni, doesn't have a letter page in their magazine, doesn't have a "suggestion box"... how many people are really going to feel comfortable contributing? My impression based on all the literature and email interactions that I've received from them in the past 2-3 years since I started paying attention to this, is that they are a top-down organization that doesn't really take much input or have many participative processes. I don't have a problem sending them correspondence, but in an organization that seems to be operated and organized that way, is it really going to do any good? It doesn't feel any more warm and welcoming than the national conglomerate I worked for last summer.
Have you written to the editors of the magazine to see if they are interested in freelance or staff writers? Of course, this means you might write more than just "a letter to the editor" type things, but it's a start. I was asked, because of my writing history, to write for one of my national publications, and was asked for writing samples. Since I have been sick, I haven't been able to do that, but as soon as I am up to it, I will pursue it.

And yes, if you want a wilderness man, peace keeper, world adventurer to be featured - you or otherwise, suggest it to your magazine's editors. They might ask you to write something or give them more info so that they can contact the person of interest. Ten bucks the lack of stories you want to heat haven't been told because no one suggested them. 33 is correct, the stuff that talks about alumni are usually self-submitted. I know that the stuff in my college and (private) high school newsletters are, because I have personally submitted a few things.

Stop making up excuses and self-imposed barriers. Your org might not be as "bipolar" as you think. And talk to THEM, not us, about changes you want to see.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 AM

Personally, I think the leadership NOT doing a webinar is a good thing. Those are a complete waste of time.

Again, I'm a little amazed that you're younger than me and I'm telling you this, but MANY groups are using Facebook more and more in an official capacity. To say it's an "informal" communication route these days just shows that you're out of touch with what's going on. Many people are advisors, volunteers etc from a huge distance away. You don't have to live in the same time zone.

And even as far as those things are concerned...AlphaFrog can back me up on this. We were bitching one day on our sister forum about chapters closing and we didn't like the manner in which it was done (long story short). Several months later, I was contacted by one of our magazine's editors about a story on closed chapters. I was quoted (Jess, I forget, were you in it too?) along with a picture of our chapter, other women from closed chapers were as well, the editor wrote a wonderful piece, and many people said it was very healing and cathartic. So the moral of the story is, don't shut your big mouth.

As far as who's what, I can only tell you about my fellow alums (small public school in the northeast) from a very unscientific self-study on Facebook. Sigma Chis are moderate to liberal, Phi Sigma Kappas are mostly conservative, and the Crows are trending to the right of John Birch.

Last edited by 33girl; 10-20-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: A sentence sounded like something out of 12 Monkeys.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I was quoted in the Closed Chapters article, but I have been quoted before. Why? Because I use our sorority's social networking sites, and I'm VOCAL there.

I'm also applying for a grant through our foundation, and one of the requirements for the grant is including your picture and a bio for the magazine, should you be awarded the grant.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

big donors are often featured in magazines

BrightBlue, sometimes big donors are recognized/rewarded by being featured in alumni magazines. I know that's the case at Wharton/UPenn. Also, sometimes if they want a big donation from someone they'll feature them in the magazine, ask them to be a speaker at the school, etc. So for your alumni magazine, maybe they're featuring the people who give the most $$$$....
Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

By the way, the very people that you're complaining of are the ones that keep nonprofits open by donating and sitting on the board of directors to those nonprofits. They're also the ones that patronize the arts, donate money to your fraternity to keep it running, etc.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinnia View Post
BrightBlue, sometimes big donors are recognized/rewarded by being featured in alumni magazines. I know that's the case at Wharton/UPenn. Also, sometimes if they want a big donation from someone they'll feature them in the magazine, ask them to be a speaker at the school, etc. So for your alumni magazine, maybe they're featuring the people who give the most $$$$....
That's not true.

One of my chapter sisters has been a consistent and huge donor for 35+ years and I have yet to see her "featured" in our magazine. By the same token, the features we do have are often about people who are far from being big donors.

College magazines are different than fraternity and sorority magazines.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm saying I don't like doing business with organizations that don't have some level of participative leadership. I can't wholeheartedly support organizations that are operated from a top-down perspective. The issue is I have trouble giving money or time to an organization that isn't seeking to improve based on input from its stakeholders, who are alumni and undergraduates. I'm not asking for them to come calling me personally, but I would be more willing to support them if they offered everyone that opportunity.

Being four hours away from the nearest chapter has been the only thing that has kept me from interacting in that way.

As far as your question about if some NIC fraternities are more liberal or more conservative than others, I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe someone here does. I haven't seen a list anywhere, but I would bet that some lean more one way or the other. I'd be curious to know.
There is no list. NIC fraternities are not liberal or conservative. However, individual members of the GLO may be.

When I was an undergrad, we had brothers who were members of the Young Democrats and brothers who were members of College Republicans. And those that were Independents. Other chapters were the same. Politics aside, some chapter members went on to be employed in what may be viewed as “conservative” fields of work. While others went on to work in “liberal” fields. As an alumnus, I still see both “views” being represented within my fraternity and other GLOs as well.

I do understand your point of view and how it may be frustrating for you.

Between family and friends, I would guess I have read 10 to 15 different GLO magazines within the past year alone. (Not regularly, but picked it up while visiting etc.) And more than 15 when it comes to checking out websites for various reasons. Generally speaking, many of the articles and updates I have seen might fall within the “conservative” side of life. But that does not mean that the GLO – as a whole – is “conservative”. Just that the article might be of a "conservative" bent.

From what I have seen, at some point in the magazine there is some sort of solicitation by the GLO for updates by their members. Maybe “How ABC made me a better man”, or “What were your favorite brotherhood moment as an undergrad?” The point here is that it is now up to the individual members to decide if they want to submit something or not. If the only articles / replies being received are of a “conservative” nature, then that is all the fraternity has to work with.

So what to do?

To help ease some of your frustration, I would suggest that you contact your fraternity regarding your GLO’s publications to see what are the policies regarding submission of articles etc. Once you have this information, you may have a better idea as how you would like to continue – and at what level - your involvement with your fraternity. Maybe they are looking for other points of view. You may not know unless you ask.

Best of luck on this. Remember that there are other members out there that may have the same beliefs as you. But for the time being, it may be up to you to make that voice known. Don't wait for someone else to speak for you.